Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #47 of 446

From Engadget:
"Some folks enjoy a load of bass when it comes to their headphone selection. That's fine, and you won't get any judgment here. In fact, Sennheiser has taken notice, revealing its new Urbanite on-ear and over-ear (XL) headphones designed with a healthy portion of low-end tones. Claiming to keep "bringing the bass for an intense club experience on the move," the duo does indeed pack some thump while keeping the company's trademark clarity throughout. Don't expect anything overkill here. The cans have an in-line remote, stainless steel hinges for folding down to pack away, cloth-draped headbands, soft-wrapped earpads and aluminum sliders that adjust for a comfy fit. The company says it's these "high quality materials" that set the new wares apart from what the likes of Beatsand others have released. It's looking to compete in the color department too, as six different schemes across iOS and Android/Windows models (including a denim option) are sure to suit most tastes. While the $199 on-ear Urbanite model goes on sale today, the $249 over-ear Urbanite XL is set to arrive in Q4."

Going by the link alongside this thread, Amazon didn't get that pricing memo.  They're running $259 for the on-ear.  Ouch.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #48 of 446
  Going by the link alongside this thread, Amazon didn't get that pricing memo.  They're running $259 for the on-ear.  Ouch.

Black and Denim are $199 and the On-Ear already has 3 customer reviews.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #49 of 446
If you listen hard enough, you can hear Dre giggling in the background 
biggrin.gif

I still like the look of Senns new urbanites though 
wink.gif
 - look forward to hearing for myself - wonder if Apple stores will stock them?

They sell the Momentums already.

Thats weird - Amazon.com are selling the on ear urbanite for $259.99 apart from colours black and blue denim which are $199.95?

Why would those colours carry a 23% discount pre release date of 8th Sept?

Maybe this is a sign Sennheiser are not confident that they've got a winner on their hands?

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #50 of 446
Ι actually like the look of the black/white model. They have a classy look and i prefer it from the plastic beats.I would love to listen to them, but i don't think i would buy a pair...

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #52 of 446
I would prefer as many people using quality headphones as possible. if this is what it takes, then sennheiser should launch it. if audiophile products become mainstream, imagine how cheap hd800 and more importantly, dac and amp would become.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #53 of 446
  I would prefer as many people using quality headphones as possible. if this is what it takes, then sennheiser should launch it. if audiophile products become mainstream, imagine how cheap hd800 and more importantly, dac and amp would become.

That's not what this is. Expensive headphones are already in the mainstream, people just don't care about sound quality more than they care about fitting in. And don't be a fool, if Senn gains marketshare, they will only increase the prices of their products, as any company should after getting a hold of the market.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #54 of 446
  That's not what this is. Expensive headphones are already in the mainstream, people just don't care about sound quality more than they care about fitting in. And don't be a fool, if Senn gains marketshare, they will only increase the prices of their products, as any company should after getting a hold of the market.

majority of people don't know how good a headphone can sound as they have never heard them.

my colleagues laughed at me when I bought RE400 for $100.

but were stunned when they heard it. now they say its clearly worth that much. I believe more people should have a listen to high quality stuff, then they cannot go back to their apple ear buds.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #55 of 446

The beats solo2 is already out and to critical audiophile acclaim - check Tyll Hertsens review on YT and innerfidelity.

This urbanite headphone is simply Sennheiser being beat at their own game by beats and trying to play catch up.

Audiophile sound will now be for everyone as the solo2 will be the most sold model of headphone on the globe and this is why it is a very important headphone - quality sound to the masses.

Sennheiser understand this and want a slice of that cake.

The end.

:D

And I wish Sennheiser all the best with their urbanite - I kinda like the look of it and am a fan of Sennheiser.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #56 of 446

majority of people don't know how good a headphone can sound as they have never heard them.

my colleagues laughed at me when I bought RE400 for $100.

but were stunned when they heard it. now they say its clearly worth that much. I believe more people should have a listen to high quality stuff, then they cannot go back to their apple ear buds.

1 - the majority of people know that there's high end audio but they don't care enough to get into it. I assume that it's just an expense they would make if they suddenly become millionaires and say "why not".

2 - You shouldn't care about what people think of your money spending habits

3 - of course they were stunned, they never heard a headphone that sounded so good befor... but they still don't care enough to get on the internet and learn about headphones. they just thought "hm, 100 dollar headphones sound good, cool".

This isn't a hobby that changes people's lives. This is just a hobby like anything else. There are people who spend 500 dollars on a kitchenaid mixer, and who can tell you all of its benefits, including durability, prowess and ease of use... but if you don't care about baking, you can just recognize that it's a good product but you don't run to the store to get one.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #57 of 446
The beats solo2 is already out and to critical audiophile acclaim - check @Tyll Hertsens review on YT and innerfidelity.

This urbanite headphone is simply Sennheiser being beat at their own game by beats and trying to play catch up.

Audiophile sound will now be for everyone as the solo2 will be the most sold model of headphone on the globe and this is why it is a very important headphone - quality sound to the masses.

Sennheiser understand this and want a slice of that cake.

The end.

biggrin.gif

And I wish Sennheiser all the best with their urbanite - I kinda like the look of it and am a fan of Sennheiser.

There's no point in me arguing against this because it's your opinion, but for what it's worth, I think you're wrong. The solo 2 sounds good, but it's not something that will get people into purchasing better audio, it will just make them buy the next iteration of Beats. People buy Beats because it's Beats, because artists wear them and they're constantly seen in public with them... Beats is pure marketing genius, and they receive all of my respect for exploiting the public's need for famous role models... Again, there's no point in debating this because we have to wait and see, but this is how I see it will unfold: Beats will retain the 60% of the high-end market it currently possesses, and may eventually gain some more because of sound quality attracting audiophiles. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #58 of 446

1 - the majority of people know that there's high end audio but they don't care enough to get into it. I assume that it's just an expense they would make if they suddenly become millionaires and say "why not".

2 - You shouldn't care about what people think of your money spending habits

3 - of course they were stunned, they never heard a headphone that sounded so good befor... but they still don't care enough to get on the internet and learn about headphones. they just thought "hm, 100 dollar headphones sound good, cool".

This isn't a hobby that changes people's lives. This is just a hobby like anything else. There are people who spend 500 dollars on a kitchenaid mixer, and who can tell you all of its benefits, including durability, prowess and ease of use... but if you don't care about baking, you can just recognize that it's a good product but you don't run to the store to get one.

agreed. majority of people did'nt got into it except for 1 person.

but I guess its a good rate of progress. you would'nt make it mainstream overnight.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #59 of 446

I'd have loved to have paid the same price as these urbanite cans than what my HD800's cost for sure :beerchug: :wink:

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #60 of 446
There's no point in me arguing against this because it's your opinion, but for what it's worth, I think you're wrong. The solo 2 sounds good, but it's not something that will get people into purchasing better audio, it will just make them buy the next iteration of Beats. People buy Beats because it's Beats, because artists wear them and they're constantly seen in public with them... Beats is pure marketing genius, and they receive all of my respect for exploiting the public's need for famous role models... Again, there's no point in debating this because we have to wait and see, but this is how I see it will unfold: Beats will retain the 60% of the high-end market it currently possesses, and may eventually gain some more because of sound quality attracting audiophiles. 

Here's another scenario - Beats increase market share, as you said - then buy out Sennheiser - "[COLOR=FF00AA]BeatSennheiser[/COLOR]" :basshead:

Now that would be kewel :cool:

Of course the logo would be total BS :wink:

OJ - but stranger things have happened in the world :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back