Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones
Sep 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #32 of 446

Agreed.

Beats is a fad and Sennheiser wants to cash in on that fad, but imo it cheapened the brand.
There's a reason why beats is a joke, but I guess it's a joke Sennheiser want in on.

Right....a fad that has lasted for the better part of a decade, and is still going strong, all while raking in the hundreds of millions of dollars from a demographic (the masses, aka average people) that these 'audiophile' companies want in on. Keep on hating.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #33 of 446
I understand that they don't want to miss out on the market, but Beats is a brand that has nothing to do with sound quality. People buy them because they're heavily associated with fashion and pop culture. Unless they start seeing artists and famous people wearing Sennheiser, they're not going to want anything else.

I don't think it's ridiculous that Sennheiser is trying, but it's something that won't pay off. 
sennheiser sells a ton of low end stuff cuz us audiophiles talk about them rather highly. Audiophiles may not notice that the consumer market follows what we say, but they do most definitely. Notice all the people on amazon doing reviews making remarks like "but these dont have muddy bass like the beats" or "better than beats" or "beats is garbage"? That's all coming from people who have probably never tried the new solo 2 or studio 2, have read some negative reviews on the solo HD and studio from audiophiles and review sites, and just copy what we say cuz we are knowledgeable about audio and thus must be right. This doesn't really apply to consumers who buy off the shelves at the store with no prior research however. But sennheiser is what a TON of audiophiles recommend to consumers who are doing some research, and they will probably buy it just from our word that its great. I see it happen all the time online.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #34 of 446
  Right....a fad that has lasted for the better part of a decade, and is still going strong, all while raking in the hundreds of millions of dollars from a demographic (the masses, aka average people) that these 'audiophile' companies want in on. Keep on hating.

Lol, Justin Bieber and the Kardashian can make the same claim....

FYI, I still own my beats and I still like them.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 446
I suspect that these new Urbanite headphones use a similar driver than the one used in the HD25 or more precisely the Amperior. If it"s not the exact same, it is a close mod/evolution of it. Similar size, same 18ohm resistance, similar high efficiency sound pressure level (118db)... Could someone corroborate?

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #36 of 446

Thank you - your comment is like an exocet missile detonating on its intended target 
beerchug.gif

cool.gif

sennheiser sells a ton of low end stuff cuz us audiophiles talk about them rather highly. Audiophiles may not notice that the consumer market follows what we say, but they do most definitely. Notice all the people on amazon doing reviews making remarks like "but these dont have muddy bass like the beats" or "better than beats" or "beats is garbage"? That's all coming from people who have probably never tried the new solo 2 or studio 2, have read some negative reviews on the solo HD and studio from audiophiles and review sites, and just copy what we say cuz we are knowledgeable about audio and thus must be right. This doesn't really apply to consumers who buy off the shelves at the store with no prior research however. But sennheiser is what a TON of audiophiles recommend to consumers who are doing some research, and they will probably buy it just from our word that its great. I see it happen all the time online.

He's right you know 
wink.gif

And always remember "muddy" a derivative of "mud" and mud spelt backwards is "dum" - just sayin... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
 ​
FWIW, I think Sennheiser should maybe have had rotating earcups so that these cans would have had broader appeal like their HD25's which cover consumers and the pro DJ market.

Having rotating cups would have differentiated them more from their clear attempt to take on beats/Apple at their own game which is some task in itself.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #37 of 446
i hope these dont look like inverted satellite dishes on the head. even then, V-moda XS like fit and headband they are not.

Sennheiser makes a return with their latest bulky designs, as most of their have been.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #39 of 446
Nice! More overpriced fashion headphones from Sennheiser.
Let me guess, they will be priced at $349.99 partly because they "look cool" and the marketing gurus think you'll be willing to pay that.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #40 of 446
These new cans look strange too me. The momentum series is far better looking. I just wish my ears would fit the momentum's.

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #41 of 446
They look much better in more subdued colors.

From Engadget:
"Some folks enjoy a load of bass when it comes to their headphone selection. That's fine, and you won't get any judgment here. In fact, Sennheiser has taken notice, revealing its new Urbanite on-ear and over-ear (XL) headphones designed with a healthy portion of low-end tones. Claiming to keep "bringing the bass for an intense club experience on the move," the duo does indeed pack some thump while keeping the company's trademark clarity throughout. Don't expect anything overkill here. The cans have an in-line remote, stainless steel hinges for folding down to pack away, cloth-draped headbands, soft-wrapped earpads and aluminum sliders that adjust for a comfy fit. The company says it's these "high quality materials" that set the new wares apart from what the likes of Beatsand others have released. It's looking to compete in the color department too, as six different schemes across iOS and Android/Windows models (including a denim option) are sure to suit most tastes. While the $199 on-ear Urbanite model goes on sale today, the $249 over-ear Urbanite XL is set to arrive in Q4."

From Wired:
"The company sent me a pair of Urbanite on-ears to audition, and they certainly live up to the claims on the box. They are big on bass, and the treble is pretty clear. Also, I should note that they do sound better than Beats to my ears. The folding, portable Beats models closest to the design of the Urbanites I tested sound muffled and dark, whereas the Urbanite has more sparkle. But still, lots of booty."

From CNET:
"This doesn't have the sound profile of the more balanced and expensive Sennheiser Momentum, but we liked it overall and it's certainly worth considering if you want an exciting, dynamic sounding headphone in this price range. Hopefully, that price will come down a bit, as this seems more like a $200 headphone than a $250 headphone. Then again, Beats are overpriced, too, and that doesn't seem stop people from buying them."
Click here for their video demonstration/preview.

From Gizmodo:
"The Urbanites come in both on-ear and over-ear versions. I don't find them quite as comfortable as the handsome Momentums Sennheiser released a few years ago, but they're definitely well-designed to be durable and sturdy. The headphones have Sennheiser's typical balanced sound. Of course because they're Beats competitors, the audio leans a little towards the lower frequencies, but not in an over-powering way. "

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #42 of 446

From Engadget:

"[COLOR=4A4A4A]Some folks enjoy a load of bass when it comes to their headphone selection. That's fine, and you won't get any judgment here. In fact, Sennheiser has taken notice, revealing its new Urbanite on-ear and over-ear (XL) headphones designed with a healthy portion of low-end tones. Claiming to keep "bringing the bass for an intense club experience on the move," the duo does indeed pack some thump while keeping the company's trademark clarity throughout. Don't expect anything overkill here. The cans have an in-line remote, stainless steel hinges for folding down to pack away, cloth-draped headbands, soft-wrapped earpads and aluminum sliders that adjust for a comfy fit. The company says it's these "high quality materials" that set the new wares apart from what the likes of beats and others have released. It's looking to compete in the color department too, as six different schemes across iOS and Android/Windows models (including a denim option) are sure to suit most tastes. While the $199 on-ear Urbanite model goes on sale today, the $249 over-ear Urbanite XL is set to arrive in Q4."[/COLOR]
LOL v-moda m100 and XS come to mind instantly. It's just hinges and a slider that's metal. Still looks like a fair amount of plastic is being used in the construction.

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #43 of 446

From Engadget:
"Some folks enjoy a load of bass when it comes to their headphone selection. That's fine, and you won't get any judgment here. In fact, Sennheiser has taken notice, revealing its new Urbanite on-ear and over-ear (XL) headphones designed with a healthy portion of low-end tones. Claiming to keep "bringing the bass for an intense club experience on the move," the duo does indeed pack some thump while keeping the company's trademark clarity throughout. Don't expect anything overkill here. The cans have an in-line remote, stainless steel hinges for folding down to pack away, cloth-draped headbands, soft-wrapped earpads and aluminum sliders that adjust for a comfy fit. The company says it's these "high quality materials" that set the new wares apart from what the likes of Beatsand others have released. It's looking to compete in the color department too, as six different schemes across iOS and Android/Windows models (including a denim option) are sure to suit most tastes. While the $199 on-ear Urbanite model goes on sale today, the $249 over-ear Urbanite XL is set to arrive in Q4."

From Wired:
"The company sent me a pair of Urbanite on-ears to audition, and they certainly live up to the claims on the box. They are big on bass, and the treble is pretty clear. Also, I should note that they do sound better than Beats to my ears. The folding, portable Beats models closest to the design of the Urbanites I tested sound muffled and dark, whereas the Urbanite has more sparkle. But still, lots of booty."

From CNET:
"This doesn't have the sound profile of the more balanced and expensive Sennheiser Momentum, but we liked it overall and it's certainly worth considering if you want an exciting, dynamic sounding headphone in this price range. Hopefully, that price will come down a bit, as this seems more like a $200 headphone than a $250 headphone. Then again, Beats are overpriced, too, and that doesn't seem stop people from buying them."
Click here for their video demonstration/preview.

From Gizmodo:
"The Urbanites come in both on-ear and over-ear versions. I don't find them quite as comfortable as the handsome Momentums Sennheiser released a few years ago, but they're definitely well-designed to be durable and sturdy. The headphones have Sennheiser's typical balanced sound. Of course because they're Beats competitors, the audio leans a little towards the lower frequencies, but not in an over-powering way. "

Awesome new photos - the XL version look better than the smaller on ear ones (IMO).

I'm nearly sold *bites knuckles* - but why do I feel so dirty?  
confused.gif
 *sob*

I really need to start up rehab Headcans Anonymous classes again.

A lot of the colour combo's absolutely scream HIPSTERS​, who will no doubt be forming a queue for their urbanites as we speak, and I thought beats solo2 were the new momentum hipster headcan - think this is called cross-species transmission (CST) lulz 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #44 of 446
  Nice! More overpriced fashion headphones from Sennheiser.
Let me guess, they will be priced at $349.99 partly because they "look cool" and the marketing gurus think you'll be willing to pay that.

$249.95 
biggrin.gif

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/urbanite-xl?article_number=506455

Users who are viewing this thread

Back