Preferred IEMs with Cinema Sound?
Oct 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shadow82x

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
Unfortunately my iMetal 590 headphones just died and I'm out looking for suggestions on a new brand of earphones. What I'm looking for is a pair of earphones that are stylish, comfortable, and sound amazing. (Cinema Quality.) My budget is anything around or below the $300 mark; assuming the sound quality makes up for that price. Anyone have any suggestions? What are opinions on the apple in-ear headphones ($80)?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 18
When I listen to my to the Dark Knight and Inception OST with the Sennheiser IE8, I feel that it almost captures the sound experience from when I'm watching in a movie theater

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
When I listen to my to the Dark Knight and Inception OST with the Sennheiser IE8, I feel that it almost captures the sound experience from when I'm watching in a movie theater

I have to agree. Mine are re-cabled with Silver cable but non the less they really are good for movies. When watching the blue ray version of star wars I was hearing so much stuff that I always missed before such as all the robots movements, every single noise I hear it clear as day. Almost gets annoying lol buts very cool as you are suppose to hear everything. Even the music was much more apparent. I think the FX700s would also be a good candidate as well as the IE8s.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I have to agree. Mine are re-cabled with Silver cable but non the less they really are good for movies. When watching the blue ray version of star wars I was hearing so much stuff that I always missed before such as all the robots movements, every single noise I hear it clear as day. Almost gets annoying lol buts very cool as you are suppose to hear everything. Even the music was much more apparent. I think the FX700s would also be a good candidate as well as the IE8s.

What are the FX700s? On their website I only see the FX300s. Also the IE8s generally seem like a solid pair of earphones but its a bit bulky for my tastes.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
What are the FX700s? On their website I only see the FX300s. Also the IE8s generally seem like a solid pair of earphones but its a bit bulky for my tastes.

Have you seen the IE8s in person? The driver may seem a bit bulky but it fits flush in your ear, or at least mine. The FX700 or Victor JVC FX700 are from Japan are are JVCs most expensive IEMs now. They are made of wood and sound really nice. They go for about $370.00 now since the price has gone up on them. You may be able to acquire a used pair for around $300.00 from someone on headfi. They are a bit more bulky than the IE8 and are heavy in comparison. Still not sure where you get the bulky thought of the IE8s though. They are also very durable and have a replaceable cable meaning you can upgrade the cable (pure silver cable is best) to make them sound even better. While the JVC doesn't have a replaceable cable so if it breaks out of warranty your $hit out of luck.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 18
Well, stepping from a $50-$75 earphone to a $300 is a big jump.

I'm curious what you mean by cinema quality.  Are you seeking a particular type of presentation or are you merely suggesting "I want high sound quality." to which most anything $150 and up does well.  It gets more tricky if you are actually seeking a certain type of presentation.  If the presentation type is specific, then we would need to know what type of presentation you seek so we can actually point you to the correct product that best fits that desired sound.

As for the mention of the FX700, like what was already said, it's not something sold in the US market, but it is made and can be imported.  I would also certainly keep my eye on the classified section of the forum for stuff to pop up.  Often used is much more affordable than new and will allow you to get a hold of unique products that may otherwise be difficult to get.  However, being able to actually get a popular product can be challenging when many are looking also.  It often comes down to how quick you see a listing and how quick you jump on it.  Now should you hunt for a FX700 earphone specifically?  Well, that depends.  It is a very good earphone, but then again so are many other earphones.  The more important question is if it's the correct fit for you, as in does it have the sound signature you seek?  Or, is there another product that fits your goals better.

Understand that $300 can pretty much buy you 99% of the products out there, even if their new price is much higher.  Most used high end products hover around the mid to high $200 range, allowing anyone to hop on products upwards of $400 to even $500 new for relatively cheap.  This means most every option is available to you.

The right product is the product that best fits your goals and more importantly your personal preferences in sound.  There are a LOT of very good earphones out there, but they all sound very different from each other.  The right one is the one that most closely fits your preference.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 18
The FX700's are approx Y22,000 new (USD$286?). I bought mine 2nd hand for Y17,000 ($221) and swapped for Complys T-400 for hygiene reasons.

I traded my Shure E5cs and UE TF10's for the FX700.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
The FX700's are approx Y22,000 new (USD$286?). I bought mine 2nd hand for Y17,000 ($221) and swapped for Complys T-400 for hygiene reasons.

I traded my Shure E5cs and UE TF10's for the FX700.

They are no longer $286 dollars new. If you look online the prices average $360.00+ as for inflation. I tried haggling the sellers down to $300.00 and the lowest they would do it over $360.00, in my opinion the FX700 are not worth that much. I paid $270.00 for my pair second hand, now that was worth it to me. I acquired my IE8s for $300.00 and you add on the pure silver cable that was another $120.00 to the cost but it was well worth the gains.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 18
I have IE8 recabled with Baldur Mk2s pushed by a GoVibe Magnum and the sound stage is amazing wit the amp and def got the cinema quality. :) So IE8s are really a good way into high end especially with the replaceable cable.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
The FX700 go for about $370.00 now since the price has gone up on them. You may be able to acquire a used pair for around $300.00 from someone on headfi.

Phew. I paid less than 200 € in China six weeks ago.

Edit: New, of course! See here: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12382496281

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Phew. I paid less than 200 € in China six weeks ago.

Edit: New, of course! See here: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12382496281

It would have been nice to have gotten mine new but then again they have 80 hours of burn in on them so that's also a plus.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Are you seeking a particular type of presentation or are you merely suggesting "I want high sound quality."

Yes, good and detailed sound quality with a decent bass. (But not too overwelming)

Not going to lie the FX700 seem pretty sick. But is there a reason why they havent made it to the U.S market?

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 18
That's quite typical of Japan actually to release products/models for the Japan market only. It's not just with headphones but everything - LCD TVs, cars, etc.

I think the store where I picked up my FX700 still have 1-2 more (2nd hand) at the same price Y16,900 (http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/045059000001/price/). If anyone here is keen PM me and I can check it out. Note if they have 1-2 left then the 1st 2 committed PMs will get priority. I cannot vouch the quality of each one but when I get to the shop I can test them. All i can say is when I bought mine from the same shop last weekend, mine were indistinguishable from new (& is the same price as the above Y16,900) & in general Japanese look after their stuff really well.

You'll have to pay that Y16,900 + paypal fees + EMS delivery to wherever you are. I'm not making a profit for this, just doing favours (please rate me well
smily_headphones1.gif
),

Users who are viewing this thread

Back