Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #677 of 3,654
Also the Oriolus Isabellae seems to be getting some good feedback especially considering its $600 price point.
Yeah, @Rockwell75 said it makes his top 5 and that says a lot for a sub-$700 IEM.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #678 of 3,654
Yeah, @Rockwell75 said it makes his top 5 and that says a lot for a sub-$700 IEM.

Strong rec for fans of the Andromeda. It has a similar level of bass so if you've always thought Andro had too little bass Isa may not have enough for you...though perhaps the DD goodness can negate this somewhat. Vocals on the Isabellae stand with and often above the best I've heard. Fans of single DDs and DD timbre in general should take a serious look at these imho.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #679 of 3,654
Just going by MSRP. Speaking of hype in Discord servers, I think I need to go hear the Tanchjim Tanya soon :)
Haha you gotta slowdown your expectations on Tanya. It's a good set at $20 personally as it is not offensive and quite good tune for that price. I'm impressed with the layering I get from it.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #680 of 3,654
Strong rec for fans of the Andromeda. It has a similar level of bass so if you've always thought Andro had too little bass Isa may not have enough for you...though perhaps the DD goodness can negate this somewhat. Vocals on the Isabellae stand with and often above the best I've heard. Fans of single DDs and DD timbre in general should take a serious look at these imho.
These do seem oxygen ish. Probably a better DD for sure.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #681 of 3,654
Hey @Precogvision , when you are you @Resolve going to review the Oriolus Traillii? I just bought one and it is blowing my mind. I think it might be your first 10 and Crinacles first S+.

Let me know if/when you swing by the area again. I can definitely get my butt out of the house to hear the Trailili.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #682 of 3,654
Let me know if/when you swing by the area again. I can definitely get my butt out of the house to hear the Trailili.
Finally a graph on trailii? Or did i miss anywhere. It should be someone measured it already but i cant find any

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #683 of 3,654
Finally a graph on trailii? Or did i miss anywhere. It should be someone measured it already but i cant find any

I had shared it on Nick’s and Traillii thread earlier this week.
4D990045-F6AC-443F-87AF-9A699B3813BC.jpeg

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #684 of 3,654
I am heading back to the East Coast in July. Was planning on swinging back through Los Angeles, but I'll try to connect through SFO so that you can have a listen. I'd like you to measure it to confirm what we are seeing in measurements. There is a large gaping scoop out of 4-8k and I'd like your take on what is going on there.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #685 of 3,654
Every IEM I have measured that I can compare to someone else’s measurements, whether it be Crin or Precog, have come out virtally identical. I don’t see why Traillii would all of a sudden not measure correctly.

The biggest difference comes on the scale of my graph where the 20-500hz takes up half of it, if someone can help me figure out how to fix that I can redo the measurements and it will look cleaner on the lower end.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #687 of 3,654
Every IEM I have measured that I can compare to someone else’s measurements, whether it be Crin or Precog, have come out virtally identical. I don’t see why Traillii would all of a sudden not measure correctly.

The biggest difference comes on the scale of my graph where the 20-500hz takes up half of it, if someone can help me figure out how to fix that I can redo the measurements and it will look cleaner on the lower end.
I believe you. I am a science guy, so I am always a skeptic and verify everything I can. Trust, but verified. I am assuming your measurements are correct which is why I'd like @Precogvision to give us his take on what is going on once confirmed. My theory is that the scoop out is happening in the presence region of the curve and where sibilance is most common. So, What the scoop out might be doing is allowing us to listen to higher volumes than normal. If our ears are missing presence, we simply raise the volume until we get the transparency our brains we need. That simultaneously raises the bass and treble giving it more excitement. I noticed that I listen to higher volumes with the Bird than I do with other IEMs. And, with some sources, when you turn the volume down, the Bird does not maintain an even response across the curve. That's my theory.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #688 of 3,654
I believe you. I am a science guy, so I am always a skeptic and verify everything I can. Trust, but verified. I am assuming your measurements are correct which is why I'd like @Precogvision to give us his take on what is going on once confirmed. My theory is that the scoop out is happening in the presence region of the curve and where sibilance is most common. So, What the scoop out might be doing is allowing us to listen to higher volumes than normal. If our ears are missing presence, we simply raise the volume until we get the transparency our brains we need. That simultaneously raises the bass and treble giving it more excitement. I noticed that I listen to higher volumes with the Bird than I do with other IEMs. And, with some sources, when you turn the volume down, the Bird does not maintain an even response across the curve. That's my theory.
Higher volume = increased perception of bass/treble
due to the equal-loudness contour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #689 of 3,654
This makes a lot of sense. Like a lot of sense. Have more manufacturers tried to exploit this I wonder? And if that's the case, is the Bird worse for our hearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back