Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
May 26, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #647 of 3,652
If you guys don't see me post in this thread again, here's why (please excuse my perpetually messy desk):

IMG_6991.JPG

Just kidding, but holy cow. This is why I say most IEMs, and even headphones, have zero soundstage depth to me. These have excellent center image; it truly sounds like there is a third speaker coming from the center.

Also, my thread seems to explode with guests sometimes. I don’t know why - or if these are even all real people - but thanks to everyone who’s been reading my content so far :wink:

B62969D7-1B3F-44B8-B738-375186E4A6DA.png

87744AD8-3823-42F2-97A6-384E606FE71A.png
tilt your speakers upwards so the tweeter fires to your ear directly

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 26, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #648 of 3,652
If you guys don't see me post in this thread again, here's why (please excuse my perpetually messy desk):

IMG_6991.JPG

Just kidding, but holy cow. This is why I say most IEMs, and even headphones, have zero soundstage depth to me. These have excellent center image; it truly sounds like there is a third speaker coming from the center.

Also, my thread seems to explode with guests sometimes. I don’t know why - or if these are even all real people - but thanks to everyone who’s been reading my content so far :wink:

B62969D7-1B3F-44B8-B738-375186E4A6DA.png

87744AD8-3823-42F2-97A6-384E606FE71A.png
Which speakers are that? They look so small and convenient, I’d love a set!

May 26, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #650 of 3,652
tilt your speakers upwards so the tweeter fires to your ear directly

No worries, my setup got even more ghetto. I now have textbooks stacked underneath to level the tweeters at ear level.

Which speakers are that? They look so small and convenient, I’d love a set!

Yup, feverfive beat me to it! They're Genelec G Two.

May 26, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #651 of 3,652
No worries, my setup got even more ghetto. I now have textbooks stacked underneath to level the tweeters at ear level.

Yup, feverfive beat me to it! They're Genelec G Two.
I've only really dipped my toes in bookshelf speakers but Genelec has come up quite a few times. I'll see if I'm brave enough to visit their website today

May 26, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #652 of 3,652
Hidition Violet Impressions

Time for a quick write-up of another rare IEM. This is South Korean maker Hidition's 11BA flagship that will run you $3300.

KR3XZRB5BrQ1H1HWkCg01HeGvd8pgZPHZIn28MEs6dL7eFnx89gw3JOryyw5FLLU5SYkbcsSY1IApNTqMiTT0H7Mhod9BozBJSdGUPzOQ7H_yYBJDt6kYyEj9X_6Ll19hdgjQlvD

Spoiler alert: The Violet is pretty great, but some ways off world-class. It follows a U-shaped tuning, the most distinctive part of which is its bass response. The Violet's bass response is characterized by a clean, pronounced sub-bass lift that I can only describe as fun. Still, the Violet's bass intangibles are where it really makes its mark. Most will know of my appreciation for the U12t's BA bass, and if I didn't know better, I'd be inclined to say the Violet uses the same drivers for the bass. The Violet has that slightly brushed quality to transient attack with exemplary macrodynamic ability, slam, and even a tad more thickness than the U12t. Admittedly, between the two for bass, I'd lean toward the Violet; it's a benchmark setter for BA IEMs. The midrange of the Violet is flat throughout the lower-midrange, and then there is a minor upper-midrange suppression not unlike the U12t. It's good, but I do feel that the Violet takes it a step too far here, particularly in the degree with which the pinna compensation has been pulled-down. It's basically the complete opposite of how the Viento approached the upper-midrange. However, the Violet comes back to the Hidition "sound" in the treble. The Violet has good amounts of energy in the mid-treble, lending the Violet to a much more colored presentation. I enjoy this treble response, and the cherry on top is that it displays none of the dirty resonance that the Hidition Viento did.

Speaking of the Viento, the drivers the Violet's using have to be completely different. Decay is fairly clean, more reminiscent of your typical BA monitor. I think I would say the Violet's transients skew toward the middle in speed not unlike the U12t, perhaps a smidge faster. As a whole, the Violet's certainly decently technical. But here's the problem: It's not really as resolving as I think it should be. The recession to the pinna compensation makes the Violet come off as somewhat dull; the treble sparkle isn't sufficient to offset this perception. The staging and layering ability of the Violet are also not as good as the U12t's, much less something like the Annihilator. In fact, I can't help but find the Violet's imaging chops somewhat unremarkable; they're certainly not bad, but "not bad" doesn't cut it for $3300. Macrodynamics, again, are a case of "it's not bad," but "hmm, I think this could be better".

And that's really the Violet's biggest problem: The U12t exists. Sure, it's got some selling points against the U12t, and I'd imagine those who want a more colored sound might even gravitate toward the Violet. But looking at the big picture? The U12t is simply more balanced and technical. It's even harder to make an argument for the Violet when Hidition's tried to establish it in another price tier altogether. In essence, this is an excellent IEM, one that I definitely prefer over the Viento (it doesn't hurt that the Violet's fit is more agreeable), but make no mistake that I think better can be had for less.

Score: 7/10

you say "it doesn't hurt that the Violet's fit is more agreeable" so do you have any pics of the violet?

May 26, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #656 of 3,652
Seeing as you're able to get your hands on some DAP's and other goodies now, any chance of a M8 review?

Hey, I'd probably need someone to loan me one, as we don't sell it!

Unfortunately, it's hard for me to get access to some of the higher-end stuff we don't stock. I've even been suspended from some tours due to the critical nature of my reviews (maybe I'm just a little salty, but I understand). So as of late, most of the rare IEMs (at least the ones that Headphones.com doesn't sell) that have gone through my hands come from a generous reader. It's the same story with a lot of the other stuff I've reviewed in the past; I generally hit up local friends to hear new stuff. I would definitely like to hear the M8 if I have the opportunity, though, seeing the praise it gets.

May 26, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #657 of 3,652

Unfortunately, it's hard for me to get access to some of the higher-end stuff we don't stock. I've even been suspended from some tours due to the critical nature of my reviews (maybe I'm just a little salty, but I understand). So as of late, most of the rare IEMs (at least the ones that Headphones.com doesn't sell) that have gone through my hands come from a generous reader. It's the same story with a lot of the other stuff I've reviewed in the past; I generally hit up local friends to hear new stuff. I would definitely like to hear the M8 if I have the opportunity, though, seeing the praise it gets.
If you’re catching hate, you’re doing something right.

May 26, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #658 of 3,652

We need to provide you with gear to review so that you can stay independent.

May 27, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #659 of 3,652
We need to provide you with gear to review so that you can stay independent.

Haha, I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think I can consider myself independent anymore. I work for Headphones.com and get paid to do the reviews that show up on the site and channel. But the main reason why I chose to work with this company is because they value transparency and are focused on the long-term picture. A lot of reviews are out just to try and make a quick buck. By contrast, our aim is to create content that establishes trust with our audience. Earning that trust means going forward with reviews that might even cost us sales in the short term. I can confidently say that I'm more than happy with the direction things have gone (and are headed) so far.

I should also clarify that I have plenty of gear to review. Probably too much! It's just the more rare (generally international) stuff that can be difficult to find, or that I have to rely on readers/friends to loan. So there's no need to panic! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back