Post Your Giant Killers Here!
Aug 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #153 of 204
Yo,

As good as the PX100-II are, I feel they aren't "giant killers". I think they are easily worth much more than $50, maybe even $100. They, to my ears, are better than my SR-80i. They do top the PortaPro and KSC75 and those to me are good headphones. 

Speaking of the KSC75, I've always valued them at $50-$60 just for the sound alone. They are that good! As for the PortaPro, it's great at $40, but I feel the KSC75 surpasses it. It sounds like a muddy mess IMO. I'm not hating on it as I like the PortaPro, but I feel they are not worth more than $40.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #154 of 204
Quote:
Yo,

As good as the PX100-II are, I feel they aren't "giant killers". I think they are easily worth much more than $50, maybe even $100. They, to my ears, are better than my SR-80i. They do top the PortaPro and KSC75 and those to me are good headphones. 

Speaking of the KSC75, I've always valued them at $50-$60 just for the sound alone. They are that good! As for the PortaPro, it's great at $40, but I feel the KSC75 surpasses it. It sounds like a muddy mess IMO. I'm not hating on it as I like the PortaPro, but I feel they are not worth more than $40.

I generally agree. Except I think the KSC75's on a headband equal the PX100-II. But the sound is quite different between the two, so a lot of it is subjective I think. And regarding the Portapro's, I also found the bass to be too muddy when using the headband. But did you try the Portapro's on the earclips? That transformed the sound quite a bit for the better imo (in fact, I might buy the Sportapro's just to get the drivers).

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #155 of 204
Quote:

I generally agree. Except I think the KSC75's on a headband equal the PX100-II. But the sound is quite different between the two, so a lot of it is subjective I think. And regarding the Portapro's, I also found the bass to be too muddy when using the headband. But did you try the Portapro's on the earclips? That transformed the sound quite a bit for the better imo (in fact, I might buy the Sportapro's just to get the drivers).

The driver transfer in the Sportapro's sounds pretty neat.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #156 of 204
Quote:
The driver transfer in the Sportapro's sounds pretty neat.

I was actually thinking of getting the Sportapro's drivers (which are the same as Portapro drivers) and putting them on my KSC75 earclips. When I had put the Portapro drivers on the earclips, I really liked the sound. Sportapro's are a lot cheaper than the Portapro though, so it makes sense to buy them to get the same drivers.

Possibly what you are meaning though is to put the KSC75 drivers on the Sportapro headband. That my friend would be worth a try! I think I read though that the Sportapro's clamp on the ears a bit more than the Portapro's, so that might be more than my soft head could take :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #157 of 204
Giant Killers

Home Set Up: Fostex T50RP Modded ($90) with Sony Playstation 1 (1001 serial no. audiophile dac, $9 at thrift store)  and vintage Pioneer receiver ($30).
Portable with iphone: Koss KSC-75

Also:
Magnum driver in a Grado SR60i body

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #159 of 204
I've been raving about the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs since I got them last week and the more I listen to them, the more I am convinced these are real giant killers. 

At around 250 to 265 dollars, The Mad Dogs are better at accurately reproducing music than nearly every high end, 500 dollar and up headphone I have personally used (and I have used a lot of them). There are no nasty treble peaks like the high end Grados and bass extends much farther without rolling off. There is no exaggerated bass hump like the Denon D5000. There is no grain to the sound and there is more clarity than the HD600. The bass is less rounded and the soundstage has clearer depth and precision than the HD650.

Plus they have technicalities to match up with some of the best headphones out there. They are very fast, they have amazing pinpoint imaging, they have a layered 3D soundstage, There is no unnatural ringing or resonances producing harsh treble or a shouty midrange. The bass is pretty flat and extends below 60 Hz. It's well behaved and not wooly or dirty bass. There is no graininess to the sound. it's smooth and clean.

I have never experienced a headphone that cost so much less than the competition that actually sounded better than them. Not just "pretty good for the price". That's what has amazed me about these. 

Their weak points compared to the TOTL headphones I have heard. HP1000, HD800, LCD3, SR-007.

They do not have the same bass extension as the LCD3. they're pretty flat down low but there's just more bass power with the LCD3.
They do not have the same tall and wide soundstage as the cans I just listed (except the HP1000). It's precise and layered, but not huge.
They lack a bit of sweetness in the midrange that you get with the LCD3 or the SR-007. mids are a tiny bit drier.
They're not as neutral in FR as the HP1000 or SR-007. but they're still pretty darn good. I find them to be flatter than the HD800 as there's no treble peak.

Another weak point, at least compared to something like a Grado PS500, is that they truly require a pretty powerful amp to drive them. So finding a good portable amp might be a challenge. I'm currently using an ALO Continental at work and Burson Soloist at the desk for them. I'm curious to try an O2 in the future to see if something more affordable can drive them as well as I am hearing them now.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #160 of 204
Quote:
I've been raving about the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs since I got them last week and the more I listen to them, the more I am convinced these are real giant killers. 

At around 250 to 265 dollars, The Mad Dogs are better at accurately reproducing music than nearly every high end, 500 dollar and up headphone I have personally used (and I have used a lot of them). There are no nasty treble peaks like the high end Grados and bass extends much farther without rolling off. There is no exaggerated bass hump like the Denon D5000. There is no grain to the sound and there is more clarity than the HD600. The bass is less rounded and the soundstage has clearer depth and precision than the HD650.

Plus they have technicalities to match up with some of the best headphones out there. They are very fast, they have amazing pinpoint imaging, they have a layered 3D soundstage, There is no unnatural ringing or resonances producing harsh treble or a shouty midrange. The bass is pretty flat and extends below 60 Hz. It's well behaved and not wooly or dirty bass. There is no graininess to the sound. it's smooth and clean.

I have never experienced a headphone that cost so much less than the competition that actually sounded better than them. Not just "pretty good for the price". That's what has amazed me about these. 

Their weak points compared to the TOTL headphones I have heard. HP1000, HD800, LCD3, SR-007.

They do not have the same bass extension as the LCD3. they're pretty flat down low but there's just more bass power with the LCD3.
They do not have the same tall and wide soundstage as the cans I just listed (except the HP1000). It's precise and layered, but not huge.
They lack a bit of sweetness in the midrange that you get with the LCD3 or the SR-007. mids are a tiny bit drier.
They're not as neutral in FR as the HP1000 or SR-007. but they're still pretty darn good. I find them to be flatter than the HD800 as there's no treble peak.

Another weak point, at least compared to something like a Grado PS500, is that they truly require a pretty powerful amp to drive them. So finding a good portable amp might be a challenge. I'm currently using an ALO Continental at work and Burson Soloist at the desk for them. I'm curious to try an O2 in the future to see if something more affordable can drive them as well as I am hearing them now.

Wow. That was quite an interesting read. Thank you. :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #161 of 204
Sennheiser MX 980 - I challenge every earbuds that can outperform or even match their perfomance! Well *coughs*, it's around $200. But still! They beat many IEMs/headphones in this price range IMHO. Any serious audiophile should make their way to give them a listen! Don't judge them for being an earbud. They sound no earbuds to me!

Beyerdynamic DT 1350 - I'll give you 1-2 weeks for finding your sweet spot with these and be convinced that these are truly the one!

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #162 of 204
The MX 980 would be amazing if they actually fit human ears. I haven't seen many people that can maintain a seal without sitting perfectly still. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #163 of 204
Quote:
Sennheiser MX 980 - I challenge every earbuds that can outperform or even match their perfomance! Well *coughs*, it's around $200. But still! They beat many IEMs/headphones in this price range IMHO. Any serious audiophile should make their way to give them a listen! Don't judge them for being an earbud. They sound no earbuds to me!

i like yuin pk1/ok1 better and it looks anti-theft as well

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #164 of 204
Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 - I'll give you 1-2 weeks for finding your sweet spot with these and be convinced that these are truly the one!

Based on this thread, I am convinced even without owning them yet!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #165 of 204
Quote:

Based on this thread, I am convinced even without owning them yet!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350

Haha. You'll be convinced even better if you have them. :)

Quote:
The MX 980 would be amazing if they actually fit human ears. I haven't seen many people that can maintain a seal without sitting perfectly still. 

I have to agree to that. But on sound alone, they are the best earbuds without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back