Quote:
blink.gif

What's so weird? 
cool.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #32 of 107
Quote:
What's so weird? 
cool.gif

The amount of EQ you are adding to the S600 illustrates my point as to why it is inferior to the S500....lol.  If i was to listen to my S600 now, I would have to do some serious EQ on it too. The S500 needs no EQ. 
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #33 of 107
As promised, here is my neutral EQ for the HE-400's:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5ojcbwczb09p939

Note that this is using headphones.com's measurements. Purrin's measurements indicate that the detail spike is at 13kHz. I don't believe it matters that much at that frequency, but feel free to adjust if you want.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #34 of 107
Quote:
The amount of EQ you are adding to the S600 illustrates my point as to why it is inferior to the S500....lol.  If i was to listen to my S600 now, I would have to do some serious EQ on it too. The S500 needs no EQ. 
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

1. I'am a basshead and these headphones have a heck of a subbass potential (possibly more than those s500 on-ears...) so no reasons not to reveal them.
2. Both S500 and S600 have quite similiar sound signature, lowering low-mids and boosting higher mids gives more clarity to them.
3. If I had S500, I would do a pretty much the same with them as well (IF they would EQ as good as these...)

4. Needs no EQ?
 Quote:
This is what I use with my JVC S500

Now THIS is extreme, LOL. It's even uncomparable to mine EQ and It just shows that out-of-the-box S500 hasn't got this "extra deep bass" you were whooping about.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #35 of 107
Quote:

biggrin.gif

1. I'am a basshead and these headphones have a heck of a subbass potential (possibly more than those s500 on-ears...) so no reasons not to reveal them.
2. Both S500 and S600 have quite similiar sound signature, lowering low-mids and boosting higher mids gives more clarity to them.
3. If I had S500, I would do a pretty much the same with them as well (IF they would EQ as good as these...)

Quote:
Now THIS is extreme, LOL. It just shows that S500 hasn't got this "extra deep bass" you were hooping about.

I don't find their signature similar. I just put a dubstep song on and with no EQ, the mids of the S600 are terribly muffled, unlike the S500. I'm not the only one to feel this way, either....http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-ha-s600_Headphones_review_sound-quality-value-and-verdict_Page-2#tr-review-summary
And the S500 are clearly louder at the same volume setting....and matching the volume, I didn't notice either one's bass going any deeper, but the 600 needed a lot more power.

Some specs.....

[tr] [th] Type name[/th] [td] HA-S500[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Model[/th] [td] Dynamic type[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Play frequency band[/th] [td] 8Hz ~ 25,000 Hz[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Output sound pressure level[/th] [td] 106dB/1mW[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Maximum permissible input[/th] [td] 1000mW (IEC ※)[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Impedance[/th] [td] 32Ω[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Code[/th] [td] (Type Y) 1.2m, with plated L type stereo mini plug φ3.5mm[/td] [/tr] [tr] [th] Mass[/th] [td] (Not including cord)Approximately 168g

[/td]
[/tr]

Headphones  HA-S600 
Driver Unit  1.57 
Magnet type  Neodymium 
Frequency Response  8-25,000Hz 
Nominal Impedance  36ohms 
Sensitivity  102dB/1mW 
Max. Input Capability  1000mW(IEC) 
Cord Length  3.94ft (1.2m) 
Weight (without cord)  5.36oz (152g) 
Plug  iPhone compatible, Gold Plated 

And DJ Headshot's EQ for the S500 that you linked, I also find that extreme and unecessary....lol.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #36 of 107
Quote:
I don't find their signature similar. I just put a dubstep song on and with no EQ, the mids of the S600 are terribly muffled, unlike the S500. I'm not the only one to feel this way, either....http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-ha-s600_Headphones_review_sound-quality-value-and-verdict_Page-2#tr-review-summary
And the S500 are clearly louder at the same volume setting....and matching the volume, I didn't notice either one's bass going any deeper, but the 600 needed a lot more power.

Yeah mids are a little bit muffled, but when properly EQed they are decent and from there is purely a subjective preference. Personally on bright sounding headphones I tend to decrease mids, so for me it's perfect. Just from curiosity, I tried to boost the mids almost to the top, no distortions or any kind of weird sounding, just the dominating mids on top, so they are certainly there and can be tweaked to your preference (if you want to). 

Talking about the power, I don't know what kind of volume are you expecting and what hardware are you using, but on Desire HD with lowered sound in EQ I really get PLENTY of volume. In fact, I really don't need the amount I have. And no, I'am not from those people who prefer lower volumes... 
But frankly, I experienced a little lower volume when connected to PC (ASUS P5QC integrated soundcard), I guess it's designed for portable devices or maybe it has something to do with PC hardware/headphones combo, I don't know, but to be honest, I don't care. 

PS. Just saw the impedance is different, so here is the answer to your question... 
Other specs are not even worth looking at, they show pretty much nothing.

PPS. let's not go offtopic anymore..

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 107
Quote:

Now THIS is extreme, LOL. It's even uncomparable to mine EQ and It just shows that out-of-the-box S500 hasn't got this "extra deep bass" you were whooping about.

You quoted my HM5 EQ very different headphones in terms of stock bass output S500 have enough bass I can enjoy at flat eq but I like having adding some more thump and rumble to the bass the S500 don't need much boost for my taste.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #38 of 107
not sure i understood this thread? do you mean eq in general, or eq meant to make your cans more neutral?

this is what i use for my dt770s, its far from seeking neutrality

as you can see i boost the bass significantly, favoring the sub bass, the dip at 7khz is just me messing about. theres a frequency peak somewhere in that range and im trying to find its center and determine how steep a cut i need, and the right BW. once iv sorted that out, ill start looking for smaller notches in the treble, and equalize those out aswell.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 107
Quote:
not sure i understood this thread? do you mean eq in general, or eq meant to make your cans more neutral?

It doesn't matter, you just need to mention that, bass boost, clarity, balanced, etc... But usually in the first place people are trying to improve weak sides of HP.. 
Would be interesting to see some more XB500 owners there...

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 107

Sony MDR-CD-870 Headphones
AKG k701 Headphones
Denon AH-D 7000 Headphones

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #43 of 107
Quote:
Why the heck do you guys post pictures of your EQ setting where nothing have been changed?
It's like posting pictures of your bare wall in a thread about showing your private art. I don't know why this annoys me so much. Just a total waste of time for everyone.

It's their way of professing their belief that EQ is bad.
rolleyes.gif

I don't agree....a carefully applied EQ can be very useful, but a badly used one can be horrible as well. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #45 of 107
Quote:
Nah I was just trolling with it. EQ is ok imo. I don't normally need it, but sometimes I tweak it for fun.

You know when several people posted the same thing before is not exactly trolling anymore... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back