Post pics of your builds....
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #8,236 of 9,811
I don't know if some of you have seen this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573548/cmoy-power-circuit-debugging-help, but I'm kind of stuck in the processes of building my first Tangent CMoy.

If you can provide any help or feedback, I would very much appreciate it.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #8,238 of 9,811
*Drool*

Thats awesome.  Does it actually sound good?

I'd love to transition to STAX sometime... its a big investment though.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #8,239 of 9,811
Yep, those 40 years old cans with this amp sounds just amazing 
o2smile.gif

It's DIY part of forum .... here is schematic.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #8,240 of 9,811

This is my take on a diy bhse.

The front panel is Australian Jarrah and the panels are powder coated in antiqued copper.
It is a stroke of blind luck that they somewhat "match".
Unfortunately my craphouse camera does not show how nice the wood turned out.

I used the same teflon tube sockets and teflon stax jack that were used on the t2.
Speaking of which, I've just noticed its bigger brother is in the background of the first photo heh.

It sounds rather excellent (!) and produces enough raw wattage in heat to completely negate the need for a space heater.

1.JPG

2.JPG

vents.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #8,244 of 9,811

Quote:

This is my take on a diy bhse.....

Yowza! Looks like you have used original BH boards, but added a CCS load on the output tubes?

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #8,245 of 9,811
Wunnerful, wunnerful......
2 things.
Are you gonna put a jarrah face to the power supply?
Are you gonna upgrade the DACT-2 to a RK50 or Khozmo?

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #8,247 of 9,811

Quote:
Where did you find the BH board set, especially the current source pcb's?

Quote:
Looks like you have used original BH boards, but added a CCS load on the output tubes?

Indeed! The original pcb's were a last set of old ones that KG had lying around.
I had the ixy ccs board made because I didn't want to pay ludicrous sums for 1968's and I kinda wanted to have a "bhse" ccs (minus a couple of things).
The only slightly unusual thing was moving all of the components of the -300v supply to the little board as well for construction reasons.

Quote:
Are you gonna put a jarrah face to the power supply?
Are you gonna upgrade the DACT-2 to a RK50 or Khozmo?

Haha I don't consider the jaycar plastic box worthy of a wood faceplate... that and it sits up the back or underneath outta view.
I don't plan on using the vol control actually (I intend to use volumite) so the dact is purely there for "legacy" reasons lol

Quote:
Beautiful. How much time would you say you have invested in it?

It has been kicking around my floor in this semi-state for about 2 months due to having no free time.
If you mean my personal time then probably a solid 2 days worth of hours I'd think.
The panel and pcb designs (there is also a simple timer pcb I had made for want of no perf board this time around) tool about 2-3 hours as there was nothing complicated there and mainly measurement checking. Stuffing was probably 2 hours. 
Finishing the front panel, drilling and aligning / tapping the heatsinks and brackets, wiring and checking, etc (ie caswork) probably consumed the greatest amount of time because I'm slow and anal about those things.

As is the going story I seem to be spending less and less time each new build... how ever the period of time the junk sits on my floor in an unfinished state seems to be on some exponential climb =S

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #8,249 of 9,811
Tom, that is beautiful. I really like the personal style you've put into it.
Too early to form an impression against the Kgss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back