Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on Yesterday at 1:24 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 8/24/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 34post #496 of 19008/25/12 at 12:45am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 19008/25/12 at 6:18amThread Starterpost #498 of 19008/25/12 at 8:48am
Edit: Holy schinkes, I'm a page behind. Those are beautiful Amarok. Intense.
Sweat screen from an AT-707. To my understanding these are similar to AT-705, PWB electrets, SR30/40/50/etc. and I'm sure others.
Front grill of AT-707
The Sony ECR-500 and Stax SR-5 have sweat screens protected by a plastic mesh, but no fabric that I remember seeing. The more acoustically invisible the protective mesh is the more it will allow dust and dirt in hence the dust covers you see on the 707's, I'd assume.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/25/12 at 8:51ampost #499 of 19008/26/12 at 1:47am
To give some perspective on that picture khbaur posted above here are Stax SR-40 and SR-50 electret drivers ( same driver as AT shown above ) that do not have the silver crinkled moisture guard in place.
There is a transparent dustguard on these a thin transparent rubbery thing under enough tension it is hard to notice( can't see it in the pictures at all ) just above where the stator dips down on the driver side of that spacer ring. I measured the spacer ring seen just after the housing lip there and it seems to be no more than 1 mm thick. So the silver thing there is instead of one of these transparent things possibly or on the very top of one if you compare pictures.
Hope that shows some distances and roughly how the Stax/Audio Technica electrets are constructed. The diameter is ~57mm so how that moisture guard spacing varies with bigger driver size who knows.
Edited by nick n - 8/26/12 at 1:52ampost #500 of 19008/26/12 at 5:24amThread Starterpost #501 of 19008/26/12 at 6:30pmpost #502 of 19008/28/12 at 2:16am
Cool photos Congo!
While skimming the old ECR-500 Impressions thread I re-stumbled over this post of ericj's. Gives meaning to the wire mesh outside the ECR-500 stators.
No idea if any of this interests you guys, but it seems like it could be incorporated into your designs. For planar magnetic drivers, use flux plates whenever possible. Could the same be said for electrostatic drivers and electrostatic shielding? I've never heard of an electrostatic loudspeaker manufacturer using this technique, although I admit I'm not that informed.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/28/12 at 2:29ampost #503 of 19008/28/12 at 4:29ampost #504 of 19008/28/12 at 5:16amThread Starterpost #505 of 19008/28/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Purrin was so kind to help me make a FR measurements on my Omega clone headphones that I sent to Frank Cooter.
The sweat protection on this one is damping the lower bass somewhat.
P.S. I think the roll off isn't that bad. It's only about -5 dB from 50hZ.
Edited by chinsettawong - 8/28/12 at 11:50pmpost #506 of 19008/28/12 at 11:41pmpost #507 of 19008/28/12 at 11:46pmThread Starterpost #508 of 19008/29/12 at 5:56ampost #509 of 19008/29/12 at 7:19amThread Starterpost #510 of 19008/29/12 at 2:07pm
Here's something to compare to:
First one is CSD (different time and amplitude scale than the one above!), second is burst decay, third is distortion in % (more like distortion of my crappy microphone ) And the last one is frequency response of left and right channel with new earpads.
And a last thing (interesting maybe only for arnaud), I decided to use just calculator instead ANSYS due to "time deficiency".
My calculator results are: peaks at 4.8 + 2.4kHz, dips at following frequencies: 13.1kHz, 2.7kHz, 6.5kHz, 10.6kHz and 1.7kHz.
Except the 2.4kHz and 1.7kHz all frequencies are correct and I think that's nice result.
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 14 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 1 minute ago
- › Questyle QP1 1 minute ago
- › Football (Soccer) Fans Gather 3 minutes ago
- › Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary... 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2