Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on Today at 1:04 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/24/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
This is not a review, just my simple impression of Grado SR80e. I purchased SR80e and listened to them... what a hell is going on...lol..at this price point...sounds great...I am now a fan boy of...
Aune B1 portable headphone amplifier Review [[SPOILER]] Intro: Focusing on achieving high quality sound at a competitive price point while utilizing premium materials and uniquely eye-catching...
Ok i'll just jump straight to the point, should you buy this? Absolutely Not . Here's why; - It's a screen-less shuffle style player, obviously not intended to compete with the screened DAP...
very detailed build, sound is smooth and rich
SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/770243/soundmagic-e50-e50s-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A middy...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 34post #496 of 18318/25/12 at 12:45am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 18318/25/12 at 6:18amThread Starterpost #498 of 18318/25/12 at 8:48am
Edit: Holy schinkes, I'm a page behind. Those are beautiful Amarok. Intense.
Sweat screen from an AT-707. To my understanding these are similar to AT-705, PWB electrets, SR30/40/50/etc. and I'm sure others.
Front grill of AT-707
The Sony ECR-500 and Stax SR-5 have sweat screens protected by a plastic mesh, but no fabric that I remember seeing. The more acoustically invisible the protective mesh is the more it will allow dust and dirt in hence the dust covers you see on the 707's, I'd assume.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/25/12 at 8:51ampost #499 of 18318/26/12 at 1:47am
To give some perspective on that picture khbaur posted above here are Stax SR-40 and SR-50 electret drivers ( same driver as AT shown above ) that do not have the silver crinkled moisture guard in place.
There is a transparent dustguard on these a thin transparent rubbery thing under enough tension it is hard to notice( can't see it in the pictures at all ) just above where the stator dips down on the driver side of that spacer ring. I measured the spacer ring seen just after the housing lip there and it seems to be no more than 1 mm thick. So the silver thing there is instead of one of these transparent things possibly or on the very top of one if you compare pictures.
Hope that shows some distances and roughly how the Stax/Audio Technica electrets are constructed. The diameter is ~57mm so how that moisture guard spacing varies with bigger driver size who knows.
Edited by nick n - 8/26/12 at 1:52ampost #500 of 18318/26/12 at 5:24amThread Starterpost #501 of 18318/26/12 at 6:30pmpost #502 of 18318/28/12 at 2:16am
Cool photos Congo!
While skimming the old ECR-500 Impressions thread I re-stumbled over this post of ericj's. Gives meaning to the wire mesh outside the ECR-500 stators.
No idea if any of this interests you guys, but it seems like it could be incorporated into your designs. For planar magnetic drivers, use flux plates whenever possible. Could the same be said for electrostatic drivers and electrostatic shielding? I've never heard of an electrostatic loudspeaker manufacturer using this technique, although I admit I'm not that informed.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/28/12 at 2:29ampost #503 of 18318/28/12 at 4:29ampost #504 of 18318/28/12 at 5:16amThread Starterpost #505 of 18318/28/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Purrin was so kind to help me make a FR measurements on my Omega clone headphones that I sent to Frank Cooter.
The sweat protection on this one is damping the lower bass somewhat.
P.S. I think the roll off isn't that bad. It's only about -5 dB from 50hZ.
Edited by chinsettawong - 8/28/12 at 11:50pmpost #506 of 18318/28/12 at 11:41pmpost #507 of 18318/28/12 at 11:46pmThread Starterpost #508 of 18318/29/12 at 5:56ampost #509 of 18318/29/12 at 7:19amThread Starterpost #510 of 18318/29/12 at 2:07pm
Here's something to compare to:
First one is CSD (different time and amplitude scale than the one above!), second is burst decay, third is distortion in % (more like distortion of my crappy microphone ) And the last one is frequency response of left and right channel with new earpads.
And a last thing (interesting maybe only for arnaud), I decided to use just calculator instead ANSYS due to "time deficiency".
My calculator results are: peaks at 4.8 + 2.4kHz, dips at following frequencies: 13.1kHz, 2.7kHz, 6.5kHz, 10.6kHz and 1.7kHz.
Except the 2.4kHz and 1.7kHz all frequencies are correct and I think that's nice result.
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Chord Hugo 12 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs Element 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear Review by mark2410 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 5 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 7 minutes ago
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 8 minutes ago
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2