Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on Today at 3:25 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Preamble: Etymotic Research, founded in 1983 in the USA by Mead Killion (http://www.etymotic.com/about-us/interview-with-mead), a man that I highly respect, is widely...
It’s been a year since I started writing/filming reviews, and it all began with the ZMF Vibro Mk. I in cornflower blue. I found the sound very fun, found the bass ports interesting and thought they...
Accutone Pisces HD Review: Everything The Pisces Should Have Been This is another entry into my Accutone IEM marathon. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Accutone, they are a Chinese...
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(with some mods) This is a review of the Beyerdynamic DT 480, I believe the only other headphone that shares a driver with the DT 48, the original dynamic headphone....
A funny thing had happened the last time I visited Schiit Audio's offices and factory/warehouse. When we entered, what had previously been a storage or dumping room -- I don't remember, had become...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 34post #496 of 25718/25/12 at 12:45am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 25718/25/12 at 6:18amThread Starterpost #498 of 25718/25/12 at 8:48am
Edit: Holy schinkes, I'm a page behind. Those are beautiful Amarok. Intense.
Sweat screen from an AT-707. To my understanding these are similar to AT-705, PWB electrets, SR30/40/50/etc. and I'm sure others.
Front grill of AT-707
The Sony ECR-500 and Stax SR-5 have sweat screens protected by a plastic mesh, but no fabric that I remember seeing. The more acoustically invisible the protective mesh is the more it will allow dust and dirt in hence the dust covers you see on the 707's, I'd assume.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/25/12 at 8:51ampost #499 of 25718/26/12 at 1:47am
To give some perspective on that picture khbaur posted above here are Stax SR-40 and SR-50 electret drivers ( same driver as AT shown above ) that do not have the silver crinkled moisture guard in place.
There is a transparent dustguard on these a thin transparent rubbery thing under enough tension it is hard to notice( can't see it in the pictures at all ) just above where the stator dips down on the driver side of that spacer ring. I measured the spacer ring seen just after the housing lip there and it seems to be no more than 1 mm thick. So the silver thing there is instead of one of these transparent things possibly or on the very top of one if you compare pictures.
Hope that shows some distances and roughly how the Stax/Audio Technica electrets are constructed. The diameter is ~57mm so how that moisture guard spacing varies with bigger driver size who knows.
Edited by nick n - 8/26/12 at 1:52ampost #500 of 25718/26/12 at 5:24amThread Starterpost #501 of 25718/26/12 at 6:30pmpost #502 of 25718/28/12 at 2:16am
Cool photos Congo!
While skimming the old ECR-500 Impressions thread I re-stumbled over this post of ericj's. Gives meaning to the wire mesh outside the ECR-500 stators.
No idea if any of this interests you guys, but it seems like it could be incorporated into your designs. For planar magnetic drivers, use flux plates whenever possible. Could the same be said for electrostatic drivers and electrostatic shielding? I've never heard of an electrostatic loudspeaker manufacturer using this technique, although I admit I'm not that informed.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/28/12 at 2:29ampost #503 of 25718/28/12 at 4:29ampost #504 of 25718/28/12 at 5:16amThread Starterpost #505 of 25718/28/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Purrin was so kind to help me make a FR measurements on my Omega clone headphones that I sent to Frank Cooter.
The sweat protection on this one is damping the lower bass somewhat.
P.S. I think the roll off isn't that bad. It's only about -5 dB from 50hZ.
Edited by chinsettawong - 8/28/12 at 11:50pmpost #506 of 25718/28/12 at 11:41pmpost #507 of 25718/28/12 at 11:46pmThread Starterpost #508 of 25718/29/12 at 5:56ampost #509 of 25718/29/12 at 7:19amThread Starterpost #510 of 25718/29/12 at 2:07pm
Here's something to compare to:
First one is CSD (different time and amplitude scale than the one above!), second is burst decay, third is distortion in % (more like distortion of my crappy microphone ) And the last one is frequency response of left and right channel with new earpads.
And a last thing (interesting maybe only for arnaud), I decided to use just calculator instead ANSYS due to "time deficiency".
My calculator results are: peaks at 4.8 + 2.4kHz, dips at following frequencies: 13.1kHz, 2.7kHz, 6.5kHz, 10.6kHz and 1.7kHz.
Except the 2.4kHz and 1.7kHz all frequencies are correct and I think that's nice result.
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › "Millett Hybrid" redux: NuHybrid headphone amp, using the Korg Nutube 1 minute ago
- › ATH-M40x or HD-598 Cs 2 minutes ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 7 minutes ago
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear