Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 3/19/15 at 7:47am in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 34post #496 of 18078/25/12 at 12:45am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 18078/25/12 at 6:18amThread Starterpost #498 of 18078/25/12 at 8:48am
Edit: Holy schinkes, I'm a page behind. Those are beautiful Amarok. Intense.
Sweat screen from an AT-707. To my understanding these are similar to AT-705, PWB electrets, SR30/40/50/etc. and I'm sure others.
Front grill of AT-707
The Sony ECR-500 and Stax SR-5 have sweat screens protected by a plastic mesh, but no fabric that I remember seeing. The more acoustically invisible the protective mesh is the more it will allow dust and dirt in hence the dust covers you see on the 707's, I'd assume.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/25/12 at 8:51ampost #499 of 18078/26/12 at 1:47am
To give some perspective on that picture khbaur posted above here are Stax SR-40 and SR-50 electret drivers ( same driver as AT shown above ) that do not have the silver crinkled moisture guard in place.
There is a transparent dustguard on these a thin transparent rubbery thing under enough tension it is hard to notice( can't see it in the pictures at all ) just above where the stator dips down on the driver side of that spacer ring. I measured the spacer ring seen just after the housing lip there and it seems to be no more than 1 mm thick. So the silver thing there is instead of one of these transparent things possibly or on the very top of one if you compare pictures.
Hope that shows some distances and roughly how the Stax/Audio Technica electrets are constructed. The diameter is ~57mm so how that moisture guard spacing varies with bigger driver size who knows.
Edited by nick n - 8/26/12 at 1:52ampost #500 of 18078/26/12 at 5:24amThread Starterpost #501 of 18078/26/12 at 6:30pmpost #502 of 18078/28/12 at 2:16am
Cool photos Congo!
While skimming the old ECR-500 Impressions thread I re-stumbled over this post of ericj's. Gives meaning to the wire mesh outside the ECR-500 stators.
No idea if any of this interests you guys, but it seems like it could be incorporated into your designs. For planar magnetic drivers, use flux plates whenever possible. Could the same be said for electrostatic drivers and electrostatic shielding? I've never heard of an electrostatic loudspeaker manufacturer using this technique, although I admit I'm not that informed.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/28/12 at 2:29ampost #503 of 18078/28/12 at 4:29ampost #504 of 18078/28/12 at 5:16amThread Starterpost #505 of 18078/28/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Purrin was so kind to help me make a FR measurements on my Omega clone headphones that I sent to Frank Cooter.
The sweat protection on this one is damping the lower bass somewhat.
P.S. I think the roll off isn't that bad. It's only about -5 dB from 50hZ.
Edited by chinsettawong - 8/28/12 at 11:50pmpost #506 of 18078/28/12 at 11:41pmpost #507 of 18078/28/12 at 11:46pmThread Starterpost #508 of 18078/29/12 at 5:56ampost #509 of 18078/29/12 at 7:19amThread Starterpost #510 of 18078/29/12 at 2:07pm
Here's something to compare to:
First one is CSD (different time and amplitude scale than the one above!), second is burst decay, third is distortion in % (more like distortion of my crappy microphone ) And the last one is frequency response of left and right channel with new earpads.
And a last thing (interesting maybe only for arnaud), I decided to use just calculator instead ANSYS due to "time deficiency".
My calculator results are: peaks at 4.8 + 2.4kHz, dips at following frequencies: 13.1kHz, 2.7kHz, 6.5kHz, 10.6kHz and 1.7kHz.
Except the 2.4kHz and 1.7kHz all frequencies are correct and I think that's nice result.
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 50 seconds ago
- › Why do people prefer Sony Hybrid tips? 53 seconds ago
- › Marantz HD-DAC1 1 minute ago
- › Damping Stax phones with Sorbothane: Lambdas, SRXIII Pro, SR003,... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 8 minutes ago
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2