Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 6/18/16 at 1:58am in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
I've been into vinyl previously but in the mid-90's, sold my high end VPI table and never looked back. I ended up recently with a bunch of new records and nothing to play them on, and decided to...
About Me: I prefer IEMs over full size because of portability and comfort, though I have owned and own a a couple full size cans. I am a 29 year old music lover, i listen to all genres from R&B to...
Campfire Audio Andromeda: Crown jewel of the Campfire fleet Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Andromeda ($1099USD) with my own money after doing my own research and thus...
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
First of all, I would like to thank Shozy for the review sample of Shozy Zero! Website: http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ I believe what makes Shozy Zero unique is the wooden...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 34post #496 of 22458/25/12 at 12:45am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 22458/25/12 at 6:18amThread Starterpost #498 of 22458/25/12 at 8:48am
Edit: Holy schinkes, I'm a page behind. Those are beautiful Amarok. Intense.
Sweat screen from an AT-707. To my understanding these are similar to AT-705, PWB electrets, SR30/40/50/etc. and I'm sure others.
Front grill of AT-707
The Sony ECR-500 and Stax SR-5 have sweat screens protected by a plastic mesh, but no fabric that I remember seeing. The more acoustically invisible the protective mesh is the more it will allow dust and dirt in hence the dust covers you see on the 707's, I'd assume.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/25/12 at 8:51ampost #499 of 22458/26/12 at 1:47am
To give some perspective on that picture khbaur posted above here are Stax SR-40 and SR-50 electret drivers ( same driver as AT shown above ) that do not have the silver crinkled moisture guard in place.
There is a transparent dustguard on these a thin transparent rubbery thing under enough tension it is hard to notice( can't see it in the pictures at all ) just above where the stator dips down on the driver side of that spacer ring. I measured the spacer ring seen just after the housing lip there and it seems to be no more than 1 mm thick. So the silver thing there is instead of one of these transparent things possibly or on the very top of one if you compare pictures.
Hope that shows some distances and roughly how the Stax/Audio Technica electrets are constructed. The diameter is ~57mm so how that moisture guard spacing varies with bigger driver size who knows.
Edited by nick n - 8/26/12 at 1:52ampost #500 of 22458/26/12 at 5:24amThread Starterpost #501 of 22458/26/12 at 6:30pmpost #502 of 22458/28/12 at 2:16am
Cool photos Congo!
While skimming the old ECR-500 Impressions thread I re-stumbled over this post of ericj's. Gives meaning to the wire mesh outside the ECR-500 stators.
No idea if any of this interests you guys, but it seems like it could be incorporated into your designs. For planar magnetic drivers, use flux plates whenever possible. Could the same be said for electrostatic drivers and electrostatic shielding? I've never heard of an electrostatic loudspeaker manufacturer using this technique, although I admit I'm not that informed.
Edited by khbaur330162 - 8/28/12 at 2:29ampost #503 of 22458/28/12 at 4:29ampost #504 of 22458/28/12 at 5:16amThread Starterpost #505 of 22458/28/12 at 11:23pmThread Starter
Purrin was so kind to help me make a FR measurements on my Omega clone headphones that I sent to Frank Cooter.
The sweat protection on this one is damping the lower bass somewhat.
P.S. I think the roll off isn't that bad. It's only about -5 dB from 50hZ.
Edited by chinsettawong - 8/28/12 at 11:50pmpost #506 of 22458/28/12 at 11:41pmpost #507 of 22458/28/12 at 11:46pmThread Starterpost #508 of 22458/29/12 at 5:56ampost #509 of 22458/29/12 at 7:19amThread Starterpost #510 of 22458/29/12 at 2:07pm
Here's something to compare to:
First one is CSD (different time and amplitude scale than the one above!), second is burst decay, third is distortion in % (more like distortion of my crappy microphone ) And the last one is frequency response of left and right channel with new earpads.
And a last thing (interesting maybe only for arnaud), I decided to use just calculator instead ANSYS due to "time deficiency".
My calculator results are: peaks at 4.8 + 2.4kHz, dips at following frequencies: 13.1kHz, 2.7kHz, 6.5kHz, 10.6kHz and 1.7kHz.
Except the 2.4kHz and 1.7kHz all frequencies are correct and I think that's nice result.
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread 48 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Oriolus Hybrid IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD700 - Toxic Cable Silver Poison 4.5ft cable - Hifiman... 4 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Silver Dragon Cable + Fostex TH900 Headphones V3 Bundle by... 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Ideal Headphone (HD800/Audeze) music, suggestions,please 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...