Post pics of your builds....
Apr 6, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #6,736 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't posted here for a while, but am nearing completion on a few projects so you'll see lots of things coming out by the end of the month.

To start it off, here is my new GainClone poweramp.

Is there any hum with the transformer that close to the circuit with nearfield listening?

Using the case I bought, the proximity between the lm3886 boards and the transformer boards would be around where your PS board is now.
I'm thinking about using a smaller 100VA transformer if noise is might be a problem =/

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #6,737 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new VSPS!
dsc_0011Modified.jpg

Very nice!

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #6,739 of 9,811
Very nice wood - what is the species?

And, very courageous to do the wood top - just can't bring myself to do that due to the heat, but commendable nonetheless.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #6,740 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about using a smaller 100VA transformer if noise is might be a problem =/

100VA sounds pretty lean for a LM3886 GC - I think 160VA is about the minimum recommended. I went for 330VA myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #6,741 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100VA sounds pretty lean for a LM3886 GC - I think 160VA is about the minimum recommended. I went for 330VA myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it is, I'll probably get the 200va and hope for the best =P

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #6,743 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider grabbing one from Antek? Very inexpensive and decent quality.

There is no noise with mine as wiring is short and all wires carry Hi-Z signal (might only run into a problem if you install a pot)

Yup, I'm going with Antek. The problem is that they're normally larger for a given rating compared to ones from other manufacturers.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6,744 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, I'm going with Antek. The problem is that they're normally larger for a given rating compared to ones from other manufacturers.

That's a feature

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #6,746 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice wood - what is the species?

And, very courageous to do the wood top - just can't bring myself to do that due to the heat, but commendable nonetheless.

Well the M³ does not dissipate much heat, so it's no problem.
Also that wood has been dried and stored longer than I am living on this planet.
It's from a tree my grandfather cut down arround 1983.
He's the one who taught and teaches me woodworking.

Species is german (or european) walnut, quite rare to be seen but one of my absolute favourites.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6,747 of 9,811
I've started a thread on this build, but was pretty happy with it because it's my first project so am putting a few pics here, too!!

I got this kit;
HeadAmp

Changed a few things (over *a lot* of discussion with Greg Ball, who I must say is one of the most helpful people on earth, and Qusp here - who rocks) et voila!!

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #6,748 of 9,811
I hope my awesome casework inspires someone.

dscf1080w.jpg

dscf1081.jpg

dscf1082p.jpg

Don't worry: I'm getting some (free) plexi-glass this weekend (with luck). I'm also putting my spare heatsinks on it (why not?). I'll try to get some wood or something for the sides from the nearby construction.

All in all, It'll look really good (and be still under budget) hopefully by this weekend or so. To be honest, the solid-core hookup wire I used was a pain to work with.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #6,749 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new VSPS!

VERY nice! Man, my own VSPS is sitting inside a boring light blue ABS plastic case...
frown.gif

BTW, what do you think about the sound of the stage ?

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #6,750 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dorkvader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope my awesome casework inspires someone.

Ha! No worries - just send your box off to FPE or a similar outfit and you can get sleek, professional results like this:

22Build019s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back