Post pics of your builds....
Mar 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #6,601 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome, I love classic three-way speakers. Would love to hear a set with an active xover, must be incredible.

Thanks Regal. They do sound quite good for something built by a complete DIY novice at the time.
However, they were built with a few compromises which in hindsight I have plans of revisiting to perfect over time.

> the active xover should have been built into a separate box to have flexibility over amps and crossover.

> using caps in series with the tweeter to protect it from turn on thump and DC offset

> cabinets should have been made separate as well (though the mid and tweeter are in their own sealed box inside) , at least I should have raised the height of the speaker cabinet by 4 inches to bring the tweeter to ear level.

> Tube amp for mids and highs, a simple 1st or 2nd orderr passive between the mids and highs would have been enough while using an active acrossover to ssplit the lows.

I have had these ideas in mind ever since i finished this pair 4 years ago....someday when living conditions improve going back to speaker listening is going to be glorious.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #6,602 of 9,811
Wow, for the first time this month I viewed this thread and it didn't scroll off the right side of the screen! Clearly we need more massive photos posted.

Time to get a new laptop I think :)

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6,603 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I built a PPAS (in the hammond case)

Nice work. I like those connectors you have on the interconnect. Mind sharing what they are?

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #6,604 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, for the first time this month I viewed this thread and it didn't scroll off the right side of the screen! Clearly we need more massive photos posted.

Time to get a new laptop I think :)

Sometimes I think I'm the only person left in the world with a 17" monitor on my desktop.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #6,605 of 9,811
Quote:

Sometimes I think I'm the only person left in the world with a 17" monitor on my desktop.

haven't owned a desktop in years , but it has been 9" for the past year and a real PIA when someone uploads some obnoxiously big images
smily_headphones1.gif
..dB

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #6,606 of 9,811
Quote:

Lucky you!
I have not had anything larger than 15" (laptop) on my desktop for some 7-8 years. At home that is.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #6,608 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work. I like those connectors you have on the interconnect. Mind sharing what they are?

Newark P/N: 41M8337, Mfr (Rean) P/N NYS231G
the body is Nickel with a gold tip...

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #6,609 of 9,811
Daleks do not fear empty threats...

dalek-o-lantern.jpg

Dalek suggests perfect enclosure for puny amp...

trashcan.jpg

ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am looking for some inspiration on how to finish this up, perhaps I need to tap into the collective creativity of this community. Sound is FANTASTIC but it looks like it was built to kill Daleks
wink.gif

e2d2front.jpg

..dB

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #6,610 of 9,811
Here is my latest Blue Hawaii build. The idea was to use Kevin Gilmore's thinking on the T2 DIY project he is working on and move most of the heat sources onto the main heat sinks. I also thought I'd be able to get away with a single chassis design. Hope this is not too many pictures in one post
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are the new boards with teflon sockets
bhboardsii001.jpg

I spent a lot of time on the spreaders. I custom milled them from .75" x 1.5" x .125". I used a trim router to take some material off and drilled the mounting holes on a drill press. The finish is cool on the back side. I used a random orbital sander with a fine grit sand paper. They look just like the Conrad heatsink finish.
misc009.jpg

This is the initial mount of boards on spreaders
misc018.jpg

Here the transisotors, MOSFETs and CCSs are mounted. I may replace the Thermasil pads with aluminum oxide.
misc027.jpg

Top view with the tubes in
misc029.jpg

Cool shot of sand on Spreader
misc037.jpg

Both boards mounted in the Chassis
misc040.jpg

Power Supply and SumR Transformer mounted on a plate that comes out. Also finished this with the orbital sander. I really like the look and may do the entire inside like that.
misc047.jpg

Close up of the power Umbilical going to amp boards
bh003.jpg

Back of amp showing the two tier power supply layout. There is still more work to be done on the left side. This is where the input compartment will be. It will be isolated from the right side where the relay and filament transformer are.
bh010.jpg

Amp and power supply top view with power on
bh008.jpg

I've got it running for about 5 hours now with no headphones or inputs. I did test the amp with a test source and the sound is all there
smily_headphones1.gif

Heat seems to be OK especially given the single chassis design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back