Post pics of your builds....
Mar 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6,586 of 9,811
I've never used pva glue, only have experience with the heat-lock stuff. As for difficulty I was only saying that in reference to the fact that any mistakes on the substrate (MDF I'm guessing?) can be hidden by the veneer.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #6,588 of 9,811
This is my new KGSS desktop amp, codenamed "bomb shelter" by some of our members.
redface.gif
The PCB's are from Headamp and the amp is bone stock with a 4-gang RK27 pot which will be replaced with a 4-gang TKD 2508 once my custom order arrives. The chassis I made by hand from 10mm thick aluminum for the front and sides, 6mm for the back and 5mm top and bottom. The two chassis alone are close to 8kg...
tongue.gif
The front panels are just bare, polished aluminum while the rest of the chassis is lightly brushed and then coated with lacquer.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6,590 of 9,811
spritzer;6482129 said:
This is my new KGSS desktop amp, codenamed "bomb shelter" by some of our members.
redface.gif
The PCB's are from Headamp and the amp is bone stock with a 4-gang RK27 pot which will be replaced with a 4-gang TKD 2508 once my custom order arrives. The chassis I made by hand from 10mm thick aluminum for the front and sides, 6mm for the back and 5mm top and bottom. The two chassis alone are close to 8kg...
tongue.gif
The front panels are just bare, polished aluminum while the rest of the chassis is lightly brushed and then coated with lacquer.

Now those are enclosures. No lightweight sissy stuff there.
They're the kind of enclosures I'd like to build.
Bomb shelters indeed.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #6,591 of 9,811
I do like the Nordic asthetic - survive the pulse and the fireball, as we used to say when making radar systems. Now that I have bought a wire welder, the aluminum fab club is about to expand - with a bit more artistic flair.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #6,593 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the final piece of my DIY speaker system.. the speakers

Wow adamus! Really impressive! Was there a specific project you followed? Or is this your design?

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #6,594 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do like the Nordic asthetic - survive the pulse and the fireball, as we used to say when making radar systems. Now that I have bought a wire welder, the aluminum fab club is about to expand - with a bit more artistic flair.

Somebody called it brutally minimalistic and I think it is fitting.
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #6,595 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixeljedi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow adamus! Really impressive! Was there a specific project you followed? Or is this your design?

plans were purchased from bob brines from the aptly named 'brines acoustics'

I figured for my first woodworking adventure, some plans would be a great help!

had a really good listen to them last night, vocals are amazing. i wired in my old speakers for a test and it was like listening through cotton wool.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #6,596 of 9,811
And here is the partnering DAC which has now recieved its finishing front panel

dacfront.jpg

The internals (photo taken when power relay + led driver for push button not installed)

p1010406s.jpg

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6,599 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif

<snip>

VERY nice, and the nick name fits like a glove as well.
tongue_smile.gif

Looks to be built to withstand "any" type of impact.

Clean and minimalist, just the way I like it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #6,600 of 9,811
I built a PPAS (in the hammond case) with one of the boards I bought in the GB a few years ago and it is very nice...I got enough parts to build two. It sounds better than I thought it would... I was wondering if its built from the default parts BOM, could I use the 15v AAA cell pack in the picture to power the second one?

um...nevermind. I just saw a picture from ATAT showing two 9v batteries connected to his prototype.

PPAS1.jpg

PPAS2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back