Post pics of your builds....
Mar 22, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #6,631 of 9,811
my PPAS with a fast charger is coming along nicely...

PPASFC.jpg

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #6,632 of 9,811
Spacehead: I think I might get a SMT kit and try my skill out on that first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Vixr: Me likes very much! 1: How does she sound? 2: What kinda runtime you looking at with that battery pack? 3: Are you aiming that as a portable amp?

I've been looking around for a good amp with a built in battery charger, that would be perfect!

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #6,633 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my new KGSS desktop amp, codenamed "bomb shelter" by some of our members.
redface.gif
The PCB's are from Headamp and the amp is bone stock with a 4-gang RK27 pot which will be replaced with a 4-gang TKD 2508 once my custom order arrives. The chassis I made by hand from 10mm thick aluminum for the front and sides, 6mm for the back and 5mm top and bottom. The two chassis alone are close to 8kg...
tongue.gif
The front panels are just bare, polished aluminum while the rest of the chassis is lightly brushed and then coated with lacquer.

I had a bit of a deja-vu, tho mine are a bit more lightweight.. Very cool casing anyway!

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #6,634 of 9,811
OK Here is TPA6120 working on a breadboard

4t4v44.jpg

It is actually quite easy to solder now, my skills have got better

kvl05.jpg

I took SMD resistors from a old Radeon graphics card and also those SMD capacitors.
Feedback loop is as shorts as possible, input resistors and output resistors as close as possible and supply pins have smd caps very close too. It is most stable TPA6120 circuit I have ever made. It is pretty quiet.
This has been added to my singles amplifier, it is working as a current buffer. Input stage gives some hiss, I should rework it so that 60 Mhz ADA4898-1 would work well stable.

Next I need to work on my Sound Blaster X-FI. I have bad THD and other values, plus horrible crosstalk problem. I have changed op amp so many times that all the pads are gone except output pads.
6yflma.jpg

I get nervous when I work on my sound card and fail it always!

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #6,635 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pageygeeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Vixr: Me likes very much! 1: How does she sound? 2: What kinda runtime you looking at with that battery pack? 3: Are you aiming that as a portable amp?

I've been looking around for a good amp with a built in battery charger, that would be perfect!

Well, I charged the pack in about 2.5 hours, I will have to get back to you with current draw and runtime...the amp is portable.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #6,637 of 9,811
Quote:

Well, I charged the pack in about 2.5 hours, I will have to get back to you with current draw and runtime...the amp is portable.

Could you give me some info on the charging board please? Actually, how much for the build?

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #6,638 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the PPAS, still my top portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

yep...mine too. I built one with a 9v battery and one with the 10 AAA cell pack. The higher voltage is like night and day. Drives my HD-600s quite nicely.

Pageygeeza, the charger is one of two boards I got from a prominent forum member who plans to have some boards for sale at some point...I would rather he announce it first...I will offer my opinion of it and say that it is simply fabulous.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #6,639 of 9,811
Yeah, my current PPAS runs off 8x AAA so that's about 10V charged, goes to 9.6V until 10% of battery or less, and those AAA's run for a LONG time.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll post a new amp I've been playing with lately later tonight - monstrous sized with 2x 9V, CFB ground channel and 2x OPA627 with discrete buffers on Left/Right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #6,640 of 9,811
Quote:

Yeah, my current PPAS runs off 8x AAA so that's about 10V charged, goes to 9.6V until 10% of battery or less, and those AAA's run for a LONG time. I'll post a new amp I've been playing with lately later tonight - monstrous sized with 2x 9V, CFB ground channel and 2x OPA627 with discrete buffers on Left/Right.

Stoppit, I'm drooling!! :p

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #6,641 of 9,811
Quote:

Yeah, my current PPAS runs off 8x AAA so that's about 10V charged, goes to 9.6V until 10% of battery or less, and those AAA's run for a LONG time.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll post a new amp I've been playing with lately later tonight - monstrous sized with 2x 9V, CFB ground channel and 2x OPA627 with discrete buffers on Left/Right.
smily_headphones1.gif

woo hoo!!! cant wait to see THAT...
eek.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #6,643 of 9,811
My transportable amp, just slightly larger than the Hifiman HM-801 so the player sits well on top of the amp.

It has an Alps RK27 pot, runs of 2x 9V, ground channel design similar to Larocco PRII with LT1210 (1A current sink), left/right channels run off 2x OPA627 with a discrete Class-AB output stage. Battery life should be around 12 hours. Those silver caps are actually 220uF/25V BlackGate FK going from rails to ground. Another 220uF/35V Elna Silmic II sits across the rails beside the ground channel (hiding the trickle charger for the batteries under it). Sounds pretty damn good too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Photos:

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #6,644 of 9,811
Quote:

My transportable amp, just slightly larger than the Hifiman HM-801 so the player sits well on top of the amp.

It has an Alps RK27 pot, runs of 2x 9V, ground channel design similar to Larocco PRII with LT1210 (1A current sink), left/right channels run off 2x OPA627 with a discrete Class-AB output stage. Battery life should be around 12 hours. Those silver caps are actually 220uF/25V BlackGate FK going from rails to ground. Another 220uF/35V Elna Silmic II sits across the rails beside the ground channel (hiding the trickle charger for the batteries under it). Sounds pretty damn good too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Photos:

Niiice and on a protoboard too!! I take it that's using a charging system too? How would you compare her to the CmoyBB? Any chance or releasing Schematics?
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #6,645 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Beefy , that is very elegant.

I am looking for some inspiration on how to finish this up, perhaps I need to tap into the collective creativity of this community. Sound is FANTASTIC but it looks like it was built to kill Daleks
wink.gif

e2d2front.jpg

..dB

Ok Don, Spill the beans, and let those of us who are out of the loop in on the secret.. What the F^&* is that thing.. I promise not to tell..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back