Post pics of your builds....
Jun 17, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #5,206 of 9,811
Congrats on finishing up your B22 FallenAngel. When I first saw it at CanJam, I thought KRMathis' B22 somehow made it to LA. Also thanks for hooking it up for me to give a listen. My faceplates will be here tomorrow so hopefully I will have a post in this thread soon.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #5,207 of 9,811
Bulgin only makes 3A latching switches, I went with 693-1241.6824.1124. You can easily go with amb's power switch driver, but I prefer a mechanical switch to a relay for power (don't ask why
tongue.gif
).

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #5,209 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been almost a year in the planning, making and configuring this monster, but it is finally complete. May I present my Balanced Beta22 (aka a tribute to Jena cables).

The PSU is a dual Sigma22 running off a pair of 225VA Plitron transformers.

As I'm a cable lover, all of the wiring is Jena (with minimal exceptions in PSU where toroid wiring is used, plus a short length of solid-core Cardas for the power switch).

Special thanks to:
AMB for making the krmathis panels public so I had a fantastic starting point
Justin of HeadAmp for offering an awesome deal on the balanced DACT
Michael of Jena Labs for putting up my constant requests for different wires in random lenghts.

I won't get too much into how it sounds, so I'll just say it's fantastic with my Jena cabled HD650
tongue.gif
and drives my Omega Grande 6R single-driver speakers amazingly.

Awesome build FA
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #5,210 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks impressive, what amp is that?

It's a Magnavox console amp rebuild that got out of hand. One of my 1st builds since getting back into DIY/electronics. Sounds pretty nice tho & is ready for another 50 years of play
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #5,211 of 9,811
FA - How many amps will your amp draw? I was thinking about using the 3A bulgin latching switch and figured 3A would be fine as I'm just using it with 2 50VA toroids.

Anyway, great build! Maybe when I get mine done we can have a little Beta-off since we're so close to each other! My panels won't be as fancy nor will I have the fancy wires, but I do have a joshua tree attenuator!
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #5,212 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure weren't the only one
icon10.gif

Even I jumped a little bit when I saw the picture(s) from CanJam. Although I did knew better...
Great work indeed!
normal_smile .gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #5,213 of 9,811
Wow! Another half dozen pages of awsome builds. Love the B22 and those tube amps!

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #5,214 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bulgin only makes 3A latching switches, I went with 693-1241.6824.1124. You can easily go with amb's power switch driver, but I prefer a mechanical switch to a relay for power (don't ask why
tongue.gif
).

why?
wink.gif

I recently started playing with 'solid state relays' of the dc-control ac-switch kind. (thing of things: its a tech that is used inside espresso machines in DIY 'pid' upgrades!).

one thing I learned about them is that they do zero cross detection and so when you ask the little epoxy box to switch the 'contacts', it waits until the ac wave crosses zero. this also puts slightly less spikes on the ac power 'bus'.

seems like win/win to me.

I don't think they wear out, they have low closure resistance and are noiseless.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #5,216 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why?
wink.gif

I don't think they wear out, they have low closure resistance and are noiseless.

Why would you want a noiseless relay!? I rather prefer my tiny little bulgin seemingly creating a gargantuan clicking noise
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5,217 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FA - How many amps will your amp draw? I was thinking about using the 3A bulgin latching switch and figured 3A would be fine as I'm just using it with 2 50VA toroids.

Speaker duty as well, might go up above 3A, maybe 4A
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why?
wink.gif

I'm old-school, I like physical switches.
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #5,218 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While the steady-state draw of the β22 from AC mains might be much less than 3A, the turn-on surge current (from the toroid as well as the reservoir caps charging up) can be much more than that. Using an inadequately rated switch will cause its contacts to wear out prematurely.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #5,220 of 9,811
I tried to modify the text on the AMB plate files and it wouldnt let me type in new words. how do I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back