Post pics of your builds....
Jun 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #5,191 of 9,811
@ FallenAngel - Very, very nice!

@ rds - Very nice, clean builds. And we know more than the LED color differs.

@ linuxworks - I say again, you need a website of your own for all your creations
smily_headphones1.gif
I know, easy to say, harder to do. But you must have a room full of goodies by now.
And re-purposing, re-using boxes is environmentally friendly as well as cheap:

Heck I've got another expired/useless TiVo box waiting. Maybe for my Beta22
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5,193 of 9,811
Beaten and battered, I'll claim victory over my first build: A not-so-pocket CMoy. I'd never really used a soldering iron before, and I really snoozed in the electrical portion of physics. Ohm? Kirchhoff? Gauss? Pffft.... <grabs book>

Special thanks to Tangent. His website was instrumental in this build, and I'm very grateful for the time he's put into it. Now if I had only followed his layout diagram one of the first three times
wink.gif

I'm going to enjoy this build for a while (and get some abandoned household projects done
wink.gif
) and then start in on v2 of my CMoy. I hope to include a charging circuit w/some form of of "charge status" indication and trimmers for R5. Then I'll be off to find a good followup amp... Starving Student? Millet Hybrid? (I'm interested in listening to some tubes
wink.gif
). A "full" (integrated PS, DAC, IO switching, etc...) PPA is the end-game... I think. Is there an end?

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5,194 of 9,811
Hey RDS, do you mind if I ask what sized Hammond you went for on your fully featured Opus? I'm building a low-spec version but want to case it in something that I know will fit the complete 'suite' down the track - and yours looks well suited. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #5,195 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey RDS, do you mind if I ask what sized Hammond you went for on your fully featured Opus? I'm building a low-spec version but want to case it in something that I know will fit the complete 'suite' down the track - and yours looks well suited. Thanks.

If you're planning to go that route, make sure to size and space out everything as if it's a complete suite, otherwise you will have issues with placement with such a tight fit. Don't ask how I know that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5,197 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That case is the Hammond 1455T2201, but like Nebby says to fit everything in that case careful planning is required.

I am using Amveco 7VA transformers that are stacked for example. That back panel had to be drawn in CAD as there is no way that would have worked with a hand drawing (some places the margin of error was max. 1mm).

The board stacking and standoff length was all carefully planned as well.

If you want to be able to add stuff later a bigger case is the only sensible way to go.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5,200 of 9,811
LOVE THAT CTH!

FallenAngel, did you make them to his specs or did he make you similar panels?

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #5,202 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started off with AMB's front panels then modified them to fit the IEC, fuse holder, power switch and RCAs I used.

Just to clarify in case it's not obvious... I didn't provide any actual panels. Just the FPD files from the krmathis group-build balanced β22.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #5,203 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been almost a year in the planning, making and configuring this monster, but it is finally complete. May I present my Balanced Beta22.

Congratulations, that’s the best beta22 I’ve ever seen. If you take quality of parts into consideration you have the number one build of all time. Your wallet must be considerably lighter. I’d been watching out for this, I knew it would be a stunning build.

Have you compared it to similar builds without Jena cabling?

I hope it gives you years of enjoyment
smile_phones.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #5,204 of 9,811
I will be using them as well. Need to figure out the Nobs and Power Button used. Please post if you know for my build in progress. (so far just collecting parts, and beginning!)

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #5,205 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using them as well. Need to figure out the Nobs and Power Button used. Please post if you know for my build in progress. (so far just collecting parts, and beginning!)

power button looks like a bulgin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back