Post pics of your builds....
Dec 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #3,946 of 9,811
pic of the AMB gamma1 driving my PPA v1

(alphabet soup, both in english AND greek!)
wink.gif

3114464419_cb4f1168e3_o.jpg

the green bat handle on the mode switch is very cute and shows 'oper status' of the incoming signal.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #3,953 of 9,811
I don't think I can get any smaller, including input and output sockets,

Next I'll etch one on the head of a pin should have it done by April 1st
confused_face(1).gif

Anybody wants the layout drop me a PM I'm happy to share the insanity

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #3,955 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you going to put on record your opinions of the sound quality from both?
ksc75smile.gif

as is sometimes said, "I dont speak audiophile"
wink.gif

what I can say is that I'm quite happy with the sound of the gamma1. its hard to compare the two since I rarely use usb-audio for anything 'serious'. when I'm near my computer, its rarely a 'serious' sitting and listening situation and I also have the noise from the computer to distract me. I wish there was an easier way to a/b the 2 of them and even if I a/b compared the usb sides of things, that isnt' as valid since the gamma1 (in my config) goes from usb to the pcm chip (to create spdif) and then onto the xtal chip to convert to i2s and then FINALLY onto the dac. the bantam has only 1 chip and does not 'convert and convert' like this one does.

one thing I noticed is that linux can see the mixer (vol control) on the bantam and yet linux can't see the vol control on the gamma1. probably a linux bug, though
wink.gif

both do sound very clean and I might find it hard to tell them apart.

if I needed ONLY usb-audio the bantam was cheaper and actually easier to build (less parts and less soldering). but the gamma1 is a full featured dac that is my first choice when I have to feed the spdif output of my popcorn hour or slimserver box.

in short, I'm not sure there is much to complain about on either dac! they are both excellent sounding with no 'issues' that I can point to, sound-wise.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #3,957 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I can get any smaller, including input and output sockets,

Next I'll etch one on the head of a pin should have it done by April 1st
confused_face(1).gif

Anybody wants the layout drop me a PM I'm happy to share the insanity

Looks about the size of the Master's ( b, c, d )
smily_headphones1.gif
And he did it without SMD on perfboard.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #3,958 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pic of the AMB gamma1 driving my PPA v1

(alphabet soup, both in english AND greek!)
wink.gif

3114464419_cb4f1168e3_o.jpg

the green bat handle on the mode switch is very cute and shows 'oper status' of the incoming signal.

Is the "green bat handle" is VERY COOL!!! Is it part of the std BOM or something you added - if you added it, would you care to share a PN etc.

Most excellent!

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #3,959 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the "green bat handle" is VERY COOL!!! Is it part of the std BOM or something you added - if you added it, would you care to share a PN etc.

Standard BOM. Taken from the Headwize thread:

Quote:

SW1D / NKK G13JVCF bicolor illuminated toggle switch / Digikey 360-1772-ND; Mouser 633-G13JVCF-RO; RS 453-7893
The selector switch SW1D is a bi-color illuminated miniature toggle. It serves as the power-on indicator as well as CS8416 status. Normally, it glows green. If the datastream is not audio, or if there are errors, then it changes to red. The status is taken from the NV/RERR and -AUDIO pins of the CS8416, and the NOR gate chip U8D plus two 2N3904 transistors (Q1D, Q2D) drive the two LEDs in the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back