Post pics of your builds....
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #3,827 of 9,811
For that first build, OPA2134PA

For my second build, which I've just finished, I used the same op-amp, but opted to run 2 9V batteries and a higher gain instead.

IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9487.jpg

Big thank you to Fred_fred2004 for sending me the board and parts for this 2nd CMOY.

Now I have to try and case the 2 CMOYs, but my stupid little drill can't even drill through plastic takeaway containers..........

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #3,830 of 9,811
So my friend and I just finished putting together our modified grado copies. It was my first project and I still feel like I don't know crap from shineola about it but damn was it fun! All I need now is a knob, a baseplate, and to figure out one little grounding issue and it'll be perfect. Sorry about the shoddy phone pics, I'm just super stoked to have this thing up and running. Next up, something with tubes!
3058356205_a8d5c015f9.jpg

3059246674_3160aab5c8.jpg

3058410121_67e7068171.jpg

3059192668_93b0e6c4e5.jpg

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #3,831 of 9,811
Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arkku,
beautiful! hope you enjoy the tunes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very impressive! The panel work looks great and well thought of!

How does it sound? :p

Thanks guys! I did prototype the panel with a couple of cardboard models to determine how to best place so many toggles. The spacing is a bit tight with the crossfeed if the lower toggles are turned up and upper ones down at the same time, but in practice it doesn't seem to be a problem.

As for the sound, I'm still waiting for my new AKG headphones to arrive, but testing on my old MB Quart QP-280's has been a pleasure; I find the sound much more “open” and “airy” than the headphone output on my mixer, and there's much less listening fatigue regardless of volume. (Crossfeed helps even more, but mostly I've been listening without it for now—it's great for background music, though.)

I've also been using the SOHA II as a pre-amp for my trusty old Creek A52 power amplifier, and it definitely adds a lot of depth and liveliness to the sound. Unfortunately, there's an audible hiss in this use (but not with headphones!)… as the hiss is independent of the volume control's position, I'll probably deal with it by padding the signal somewhat for the pre-amp outputs. (There's too much gain for pre-amp use, anyhow, so that should give a better volume control range as a bonus.)

The bottom line is: highly recommended; a very nice and versatile project, and not too difficult even as a first DIY amp. =)

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #3,832 of 9,811
My daughter said we couldn't fit any thing into this little tin.
I used a surface mount TPA6111A2 on one side of the board and through hole componants on the other. Gain was 5 but its way to high and will make your ears bleed :)
Its got a temporary inpout socket I'll wire the input direct to the board I just wanted to hear it work. Sounds very nice and powerful
atsmile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #3,834 of 9,811
Daughter seen running away with it, these may be the only pictures I ever get
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #3,835 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a surface mount TPA6111A2 on one side of the board and through hole componants on the other. Gain was 5 but its way to high and will make your ears bleed :)

SWEET! Very nice work.
gain of 5 is way a lot
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3-channel modified Sijosae Class-A push/pull diamond buffer amp with stronger PSU.

Also very nice work.
Which transistors did you use? I have been planning to add the Sijosae class-AB (its just driving cables, and SHOULD stay in class-A) output buffer to the passive EQ phono stage I built a while ago.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #3,836 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SWEET! Very nice work.
gain of 5 is way a lot
wink.gif

Also very nice work.
Which transistors did you use? I have been planning to add the Sijosae class-AB (its just driving cables, and SHOULD stay in class-A) output buffer to the passive EQ phono stage I built a while ago.

Since I really like the Class-AB, I have TONS of BC327/BC337 around, so I used them.

I built a few Class-AB amps, they're totally awesome - huge battery life with proper opamps and sound great.

Nov 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #3,839 of 9,811
Really impressive, wish I could do case work to that standard, top job
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back