Post pics of your builds....
May 11, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #3,272 of 9,811
Fitz: I'm interested in the specifics of your music server.

What case and power supply are you using?
Do you use that machine for playback or for pure file serving?

If it handles playback:
- Is the onboard optical-out bit-perfect? How does it sound?
- How do you interface to the machine to control song choice?

I ask as I'd like to build a 24/7 dedicated digital media store / player with a touchscreen interface to a full-screen foobar2000 (or perhaps a custom application), ideally with no operating system visible.

[size=xx-small]An embedded system with built in hardware FLAC decoding would be nice, but that's probably far more of a challenge.
biggrin.gif
[/size]

May 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #3,273 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by imported_sid_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz: I'm interested in the specifics of your music server.

What case and power supply are you using?
Do you use that machine for playback or for pure file serving?

If it handles playback:
- Is the onboard optical-out bit-perfect? How does it sound?
- How do you interface to the machine to control song choice?

I ask as I'd like to build a 24/7 dedicated digital media store / player with a touchscreen interface to a full-screen foobar2000 (or perhaps a custom application), ideally with no operating system visible.

[size=xx-small]An embedded system with built in hardware FLAC decoding would be nice, but that's probably far more of a challenge.
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Information about the case is in this post, but I don't do playback directly from the server. I use slimserver with a Squeezebox 3 for the music playback side of things, as the only thing connected to the server is power and network.

rigfileserverbe7.jpg

May 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #3,274 of 9,811
My first zero defect and tidy cmoy build. It's so much tidier using pcb's than protoboard, this unit looks like a good diy amp rather than a bad diy bowl of spaghetti (my efforts with protoboards never did end up looking too pretty)

nickjoshcmoy1.jpg

nickjoshcmoy2.jpg

nickjoshcmoy7.jpg

nickjoshcmoy8.jpg

Thanks to Joshatdot for supplying me with a great board and a great kit
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #3,276 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished this little baby for office use: a modified Kumisa III @ ±24V DC (with a couple of traces cut and some resistors changes).

Afbeelding443.jpg

... heavily heatsinking on the bottom, which allows quiescent current biasing at 60mA,
RIMG0148.jpg

... and the guts
RIMG0147.jpg

I'm not good when it comes to describing the sound, but in short... a very musical, laid back sounding amp without any sign of distortions, noise, hiss or hum.
It makes this hobby (DIY) so fun.
biggrin.gif

WOW...nice DIY amp u got there.

May 24, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #3,277 of 9,811
Ok, totally ordinary compared to whatever posted above, but I was bored and it was still nice and fun to wire up an old-fashioned CMOY.
smily_headphones1.gif
I call this "the Brick". Kinda crude, I like it. At least it's very well shielded! The idea was, I've got a spare enclosure here, and look, an old 24v power supply from a printer! Let's stuff an amp in there. Power switch is built into the headphone jack, found a nifty one at a surplus store. I couldn't find it on Switchcraft's site, maybe it's discontinued? Plug in headphones to turn it on... Oh, and it sounds pretty good too!
smily_headphones1.gif

brick1.jpg

brick2.jpg

brick3.jpg

May 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #3,278 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished this little baby for office use: a modified Kumisa III @ ±24V DC (with a couple of traces cut and some resistors changes).

Afbeelding443.jpg

... heavily heatsinking on the bottom, which allows quiescent current biasing at 60mA,
RIMG0148.jpg

... and the guts
RIMG0147.jpg

I'm not good when it comes to describing the sound, but in short... a very musical, laid back sounding amp without any sign of distortions, noise, hiss or hum.
It makes this hobby (DIY) so fun.
biggrin.gif

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS CASE?!?! I love it!

May 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #3,281 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brick1.jpg

brick2.jpg

brick3.jpg

I love that INDUSTRIAL feel to it. Throw some NIN and Beers in to really appreciate it. I like it. Good job.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #3,284 of 9,811
I looked for feet similiar to these in US. Tough to find for me anyway.

If you follow the link they're "out of stock" w/good reason. Look great @ reasonable price.

BTW Ferrari, fabulous casework.

Edit: oops, my bad, they have others similiar in style.

Ech0

May 26, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #3,285 of 9,811
Photos of my M^3 and S11, finally, with front and back panels completed. Here it is still naked from the front:
donefrontor6.jpg

From the top:
donetopnt4.jpg

From the back:
donebackgr0.jpg

And also my Millett Hybrid Max. It wasn't quite finished in these shots; just needed some more wiring and casework which is now done:
mhm4ez6.jpg

And the obligatory night tube shot:
mhm5po5.jpg

Both amps all hooked up, with Big Daddy on guard duty:
coveredfrontay7.jpg

And from the top:
coveredtopsu7.jpg

Last thing to do is shorten the volume pots a little so that the volume and gain knobs fit flush with the front panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back