Post pics of your builds....
Apr 8, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #3,196 of 9,811
I got some DIY fever and decided to upgrade my switchbox at work. I was tired of having a separate box to house my AlienDAC as well as the extra 12" of RCA cable that ran between the two boxes. So I decided to stick it inside the switchbox and free up the RCA jacks as an addition input. I also added a DPDT toggle switch to switch between the AlienDAC and input RCAs. I also upgrade the switch knob to a larger diameter.

I am very pleased with how it looks and works.

switchbox_1.JPG

switchbox_2.JPG

switchbox_3.JPG

switchbox_4.JPG

switchbox_5.JPG

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #3,197 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Omron G6A relays.

The DRV134 looks like a pretty simple circuit to use. I need breadboard a couple different options to see what sounds the best.
They are Bulgin anti-vandal switches from Mouser.

Really nice Naamanf... what XLR jacks are those on the faceplate?

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3,199 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are Furutech.

Actually Switchcraft. Furutech makes a similar one that mounts with three screws. I think they just re-brand the Switchcraft.

I with Neutrik made a round one like that. I have always found Neutriks quality to be above Switchcraft at a cheaper price.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3,200 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Switchcraft. Furutech makes a similar one that mounts with three screws. I think they just re-brand the Switchcraft.

I with Neutrik made a round one like that. I have always found Neutriks quality to be above Switchcraft at a cheaper price.

I stand corrected Sir. I didn't know Switchcraft made one like that. I also didn't know of the availability of those beautiful switches.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #3,201 of 9,811
Still wondering about the RCAs (or did I miss it?)

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3,202 of 9,811
I'd previously built a Millett Hybrid solely out of parts I had laying around in my supplies, and to go with it I built a discrete diamond buffer, again only out of my normal supplies. I didn't have any surface mount resistors for it though, so I had a bit of fun putting through hole resistors on the board. Just something I randomly decided to do last night while I couldn't sleep...

I've looked and I haven't found anything good around here I can re-use as an enclosure for the MH (to keep with the $0 cost so far), so I'll probably just mount the amp on a piece of wood or something.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #3,204 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I didn't have any surface mount resistors for it though, so I had a bit of fun putting through hole resistors on the board...

Sir, that shows some serious skill with tools like these:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My soldering iron, solder, and wire cutter:

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #3,205 of 9,811
So I'm working on my first DIY amp with my friend (who I believe is also a headfi-er. It's an improved grado clone and since I'm a complete moron when it comes to electronics I worked on the casing. I just finished the cutting, routing, and first stage of stain and I'm totally stoked. here's what they looked like at first:
wood.jpg

And after a little elbow grease:
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

I'm so excited I didn't even let the tung oil dry before I took the pics. After this we gotta figure out what we're using for knobs and electronics layout but our first prototype sounded great when I heard it.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #3,207 of 9,811
I'd love to but I'm not really the electronics ninja and the parts are already ordered. Also for a first amp build I'd be kinda nervous working with the kinds of voltages required to get a tube set up running.

Who know's though, if these go well maybe I'll throw a hybrid together, the dude I'm building with already did one.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #3,208 of 9,811
yea, tube voltages can always be a little bit scary (not to mention dangerous if you dont know what your dealing with). however that said, I believe that the hybrid tube circuits are much safer to build for an inexperienced builder than an all-tube amp. i dont think something like the millet max hybrid would be too out of the question for a second or third build so long as you just do the necessary research first. after all there is a great support community here on head-fi (especially for the MHMAX)

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #3,209 of 9,811
Yeah I definitely wanna get to that stage anyway but baby steps my friend, baby steps. I'm generally a complete dumdum when it comes to math (although I did kick ass at the grade-school math section of bar-trivia the other day) so I'm kinda daunted by getting into anything more complicated than a cmoy at this point. To be honest, I understand about 1/199th of what's said here in the DIY section, I just think the pictures are pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back