Post pics of your builds....
Apr 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #2,026 of 9,811
Just finished the first of my SERIOUS AlienDACs
smily_headphones1.gif

I knew that the AlienDAC could be a very serious computer-based source, it just needs a little work and thanks to Jeff Rossel for providing boards and kits, I got a chance to build another very special AlienDAC.

I use one at home with 0.33uF Mundorf MCap ZN and it sounds fantastic, but I heard that these Audience AuriCap sound very good as well so I thought, what the hell, let's put a pair of these 0.47uF/400V caps with a Mini-TREAD into a Hammond 1455C1202. This is the result
biggrin.gif

More pics in my gallery, just follow the link.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #2,028 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fallen,
Nice ADAC. Was there any particular reason to locate R15 & R16 at the jacks instead of smd resistors?

Yep, otherwise I would have to run cables from the caps back to the PCB and then run another set of cables to the jacks. This way it's cleaner and has less unnecessary wiring.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #2,029 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, otherwise I would have to run cables from the caps back to the PCB and then run another set of cables to the jacks. This way it's cleaner and has less unnecessary wiring.

Is 0.47uF sufficient? What's the corner freq?

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #2,031 of 9,811
Quote:

With my SOHA having a 50K pot, it's 6.7Hz. I use 0.33uF MCap ZN's with my regular one and the frequency is 9.6Hz, still very nice.

Thanks. I'll go with your method of using boutique film caps. Looks good.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #2,032 of 9,811
Quote:

Just finished the first of my SERIOUS AlienDACs
smily_headphones1.gif

I use one at home with 0.33uF Mundorf MCap ZN and it sounds fantastic, but I heard that these Audience AuriCap sound very good as well so I thought, what the hell, let's put a pair of these 0.47uF/400V caps with a Mini-TREAD into a Hammond 1455C1202. This is the result
biggrin.gif

Wow that is pretty slick. Nice job; shoot, I need to get off my duff and order AuriCaps. Which sound do you prefer, Mundorf or Audience? It really is neat seeing your DAC here, and fun thinking that I helped play a small part in making it happen. Thanks for posting the images of your work.

JR

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #2,034 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferencvaros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my toys all finished and together:
img3594tf9.jpg

Sorry for bad quality photo

Very nice lineup there! I like the matching frontplates, very classy.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #2,036 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrossel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that is pretty slick. Nice job; shoot, I need to get off my duff and order AuriCaps. Which sound do you prefer, Mundorf or Audience? It really is neat seeing your DAC here, and fun thinking that I helped play a small part in making it happen. Thanks for posting the images of your work.

JR

Well, thanks for the boards buddy.

Hmm... Mundorf vs AuriCap, tough question, they're both extremely good sounding caps. The Mundorf are totally burned in and sound beautiful, a little warmer than the non-burned in AuriCaps. On the details, I'd say they're around the same, with the AuriCap maybe being just slightly more detailed, and being not even burned in, they sound very promising.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #2,037 of 9,811
Just finished my new USB DAC with headphone amplifier.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

USB DAC: PCM2707->PCM1793->OPA2134 (all bus-powered, except OPA2134 - +/-11.5v from headamp)
Headamp: Alps RK18->AD8620->THS6012
Body made from old CD-ROM and black-painted.
Sound is very good.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #2,039 of 9,811
Quote:

Well Grigori G, that looks pretty serious and very impressive on the home made custom PCB which you actually managed to have purely in SMC. Congrats, it looks very cool, but what is it?
smily_headphones1.gif

And definitely what is the headphone amp?

Headphone amplifier part (many components on the other side PCB):

ha1.jpg

ha2.jpg

ha3.jpg

P.S. Sorry my bad english...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back