Post pics of your builds....
Apr 15, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #1,981 of 9,811
Here is my new Alien DAC as of right now. Not cased yet, and I'm going to change out the radio shack stereo jack for 2 RCA connectors I'll be ordering with some other stuff next week, as well as adding a SPST switch for fun. I had to do quite a bit of searching as I was not familiar with SMD components, especially verifying that the SMD caps could go on in any direction. But after some homework, I got it done on my first try. This is only my second DIY, the first being a cmoy. I really had fun with this one!

alien_dac.jpg

I have to thank the head-fi'ers here, because I did lots of rummaging through old threads and even referring to other peoples Alien DAC builds. I really am digging this DIY hobby!

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #1,983 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p4110002smallwj3.th.jpg

Very nice dubfire! And a matching knob to boot! Beauty of a build!

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #1,984 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was inspired by the nice clean look of my β22 amp so I decided to re-do the front panel of my Millett Hybrid to match.

Not that anything was wrong with the original -- it was very nice too. I actually like the larger, centrally-located volume knob and the black panel more...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #1,986 of 9,811
My cmoy in an Altoids tin. Unusual because it has two 9V batteries. The improvement two batteries makes is substantial, especially with Sennies but also on easier to drive phones like ATH W5000s. With Shure E3Cs it's less noticable but still there.

cmoy1wd5.jpg

cmoy2zz4.jpg

Tight fit!

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #1,988 of 9,811
This amp is originated from the amp shown in this thread -

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=50478.

And based on the Sijosae's modified design of that amp above.
I used Sijosae's SHA design as reference, with little change of my own.

SHA.gif

So.... here's the pic of the amp, top and bottom.

SHA_A3.jpg

I added simple 7812 regulation circuit on it, since this amp requires regulated power supply. some value of parts and wiring has been changed as the way I like.

Size is little smaller than Altoid tin.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #1,990 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fortney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it, Seaside.
Is that like the Poorman's Zen by Sijosae?

F

Thanks fortney.
Yup, you are right. I used his design as reference.
I should have stated this at the posting above. (And I edited it accodingly)
I would say this amp is 85% the same with Sijosae's SHA with little touch of my own.

I origianlly made two versions a few years ago.
one with the design in that thread, and the other with sijosae's design with exatly the same parts with the same value he suggested. I liked sijosae's better since it is easier and practical. But both were kinda big and messed up at the bottom due to my lack of soldering/wiring skill back then. So I recently decided make it again used sijosae's desgin as reference. Some parts have been salvaged from my old sijosae SHA, and some have been replaced with different value as the way i like. That's why I called it revised. Then, I wanted it small this time. As a result of that, the amp come out to be just like what sijosae made and I like it too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #1,991 of 9,811
Please don't think I was trying to correct you.

I built the Sijosae model about 6 months ago and like it very much.
I used a 40 ohm power resistor and put bypass caps around the 1000uF caps. I think the bypass caps increased the treble output.
I heatsunk (?) the MOSFETs to the case bottom and everything stays pretty cool.

My layout is mostly accidental parts placement. I think I will make another like yours: sounds great; looks great.

F

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #1,992 of 9,811
fortney, not at all. I should have mentioned that at the first place.

I am actually happy to see someone who made the same thing.
That means I know someone who can share my feelings about this amp.
I was thinking about the same way you made yours, using case as a heatsink idea. But I throw that out, since I do not have a case and this amp is not gonna be a portable anyway. Actually almost all small amps I made are naked like that w/o case. In that way I can mod easily without taking case off, and I am not gonna carry my amps arround. Guess I like to see naked rather than all wrapped in or something.
wink.gif

If you do not mind, I would suggest some parts for your next build.
This amp is sweet, but its bass tend to overshadow its treble sometimes, u know... so... 220~470uF instead of 1000uF bypassing if needed, 0.33~0.47uF polyprophilene caps, IRF510 rather than 610 would make sound little sharper without loosing its sweetness. And, please show me your next build when you are done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back