Post pics of your builds....
Mar 5, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #9,766 of 9,811
TOP NOTCH BRO!!!! Absolutely love the 2 tone wood scheme. You should definitely consider a marketing plan. :wink:

In this set the wood boxes are each covering
aluminum Hammond chassis for shielding due to
the high gain stages of the phono-amp.
Here the wood "feels" best.

This is when the color and warmth set in. After spraying
with varnish.

Here the pwr spply is done and tested under load but
preamp is about 90 to 95% done. Good job i can work
with wood cause i can't take a pic to save me. Sorry.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #9,768 of 9,811
This is my latest protoype of a medium sized portable hybrid tube amp:

I call it night design, just want to see Input (green), Output (red) and Volume Level even when starting to listen in the dark:

The case is a Standard Hammond 120x54x23 mm Aluminium housing:

The amp consists of the main module or -board (potentiometer, opamp amplifier ...USB Ports), the battery-, the charger- and the tube-preamp-module:

Implementing it this way has something of a 3D puzzle, but the benefit is having much more soldering points and space for the needed lines and connections:

This build is based on my (third) prototype for a (also fully functional) submini portable hybrid tube amp, technically they are nearly identical (but for charging i made a small external CCCV charger implemented as USB Stick, not shown here):

Detailed view:

Both amps have a star ground topology with dedicated, separate ground (and power) lines for L+R pre and main amp, Input and Output. Except for the battery it is a double mono design with a let´s call it "power rail splitter" to separate the power of left and right channel as good as possible.

Runtime is about 17 hours (medium sized amp) and about 9 hours (submini amp) fully charged.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9,769 of 9,811
  This is my latest protoype of a medium sized portable hybrid tube amp:

I call it night design, just want to see Input (green), Output (red) and Volume Level even when starting to listen in the dark:

the case is a Standard Hammond 120x54x23 mm Aluminium housing:

The amp consists of the main module or -board (potentiometer, opamp amplifier ...USB Ports), the battery, the charger and the tube pre-amp modules:

Implementing it this way has something of a 3D puzzle, but the benefit is having much more soldering points and space for the needed lines and connections:

This build is based on my (third) prototype for a (also fully functional)  submini portable hybrid tube amp, technically they are nearly identical (but for charging i made a small external CCCV charger implemented as USB Stick, not shown here):

Detailed view:

Both amps have a star ground topology with dedicated, separates ground (and power) lines for L+R pre and main amp, Input and Output.

Runtime is about 17 hours (medium sized amp) and about 9 hours (submini amp) fully charged.

Nice done .

You should make a real pcb now and it will be perfect .
What kind of mini tube did you use ?

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #9,771 of 9,811
Hello,

I have been a fan of this forum for awhile, but didn't really have anything to contribute. Until now, I would like to share my SennGrado build.

This build started when doing research to rewire my px-100's. The left channel would go in and out when the plug was moved. I saw the builds here, and since these are not my primary headphones, I decided it's time for a new project.

I wanted to keep the build simple and cheap. Buying a set of cups was not in the budget and so was a lathe, which I also don't have room for. In my parts bin, was a set of Nakamichi's that I got a while back on sale for 10 bucks. To be honest, the only reason I bought them was for the N on the sides of it, they didn't sound all that good. But now I have a headband and hopefully some cups.

After dissembling the cups and cutting out the backs, I felt these would be too shallow. But, I did like the way I can use them to mount the drivers. Off to Home Depot to see what goodies the plumbing section will prevail. And low and behold, I found a 2" x 1.5" flush bushing. I have no idea what it is used for, but they were like 75 cents each, and the perfect diameter to glue to the Nakamichi's. And, they look like they were made for this.

So, after some glue, painting and soldering, this is how they turned out.

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/v2517/library/ (sorry for the link, I'm not at the level to upload yet, i think that's the problem)

They have been finished for a few months now, and I really enjoy how they sound. I actually think I prefer these over my SR60's.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #9,773 of 9,811

They were from a set of Nakamichi's  http://amzn.to/1YLDU0H
I believe they are the same as the Platten style headphones found at Five Below and other dollar like stores.

I made the gimbals from 2" rings I cut from some PVC, then stretched them over a soup can and carefully heated them with a hair dryer. I attached them, using the top half of the original gimbals.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #9,774 of 9,811
I recently finished building Pete Millett's LR Phono Preamp.  It uses purely inductors and resistors for the RIAA equalization - no capacitors in the signal path at all.  Pete designed and built it for the European Triode Festival in 2013.  He's got an excellent presentation about designing it, RIAA theory, inductors, etc. on his web site:
http://pmillett.com/LR_phono.html

LR-1.jpg

LR-2.jpg

LR-3.jpg

+ and - 15VDC supply on left side and LR phono preamp board on the right.  It blows away other phono preamps I've heard and beats many DACs I've heard and built.  It's the best I've ever heard phono (using a good turntable, cartridge and stylus).

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #9,775 of 9,811
Here's another one, quite simply the best DAC I've heard - ECP Audio's Walnut 5.0 DAC:

Walnut5-1.jpg

Walnut5-2.jpg

Walnut5-3.jpg

I actually built the PCB and rubbed some oil onto the wood.
wink.gif
  Dsavitsk of ECP Audio takes the credit for the rest, though: PCB design, case design, woodwork, etc.  Still, building the PCB was pretty fun.  It was the most challenging electronics project I've ever soldered - very rewarding.

Balanced output, high-res, high-bit, asynchronous USB - can't ask for much more.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #9,776 of 9,811
Beautifully done on both projects love the look of the chassis, especially the wood.  You don't by chance have any extra circuit boards on that dac that you can throw at me do you? 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #9,780 of 9,811
AMB CK^2III - all-discrete featuring a JFET input stage, BJT voltage gain stage, complementary feedback pair BJT output stage, and no global negative feedback powered by a Sigma22 @15v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back