Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 28, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #4,561 of 5,377

Replaced a 32 year-old Thorens TD166-Mk II with a Rega RP3 + Elys 2 cart. Killer deal on NOS model from my dealer, so I couldn't resist.

I think just about everything (expensive) I have came that way - dealer shedding old stock when new models come out.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #4,563 of 5,377
Pretty!  I'll bet it's a lot quieter.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #4,565 of 5,377
Nice. How is the difference in sound? Much better? Different?

Pretty!  I'll bet it's a lot quieter.

Yeah, thanks! I love the look and it's really, really quiet on playback. That part I noticed, right away.

Also, setting up the cart was super easy with the 3-point mount that is unique to Rega.

However... I am still waiting on the sound before passing judgement. The Elys 2 cart has an elliptical stylus and my Thorens is sporting a micro-line stylus on an Audio-Technica AT440MLa, which has been a magic pairing with the Thorens.

I am given the cart time to break in (I've read it needs time to open up), but am already planning on upgrading the cart to the Exact 2 (also a micro-line stylus, which I think rides the groove more closely and brings out more detail).

We'll see... but so far I am loving the new Rega. The Thorens will move to the living room, when the wife has recovered from the 'table spend and I can finally get some speakers for the 2-channel system.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #4,566 of 5,377
I know nothing about Rega cartridges.  When I bought my 6 from the dealer, I specified the 2M Black.  Why, because I've always had faith in the Ortofon sound I've known for maybe forty years.  It has never disappointed me.

2 cents.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #4,567 of 5,377
  I know nothing about Rega cartridges.  When I bought my 6 from the dealer, I specified the 2M Black.  Why, because I've always had faith in the Ortofon sound I've known for maybe forty years.  It has never disappointed me.

2 cents.

I'm curious: I've read that the 2m Black is very sensitive to VTA, which is only adjustable on the RP3 with the addition of spacers (maybe this is also true on your 6). Did your dealer ignore that and just mount it as-is or did they raise the tonearm with a spacer?

By the way, I've read nothing but great reviews on the Black and Bronze and have considered those, as well, to replace the Elys 2.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #4,568 of 5,377
Of course he used a spacer.  They've been selling Regas for many years.

I've never had a problem with tracking anything, plus, it sounds so good.

It tracks like my old Shure V15 Type V, a champion in that respect. 

I hope I found the right pic.  lol.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #4,569 of 5,377
I just pulled the trigger on one of these, it should be a big improvement on my 2m Red and finally give my GCPH something to do as it's only 0.25 mV:

[m

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #4,570 of 5,377
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4,571 of 5,377
Wow, replying to a post from 2011.  You're playin' with my mind!

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,572 of 5,377

I just pulled the trigger on one of these, it should be a big improvement on my 2m Red and finally give my GCPH something to do as it's only 0.25 mV:

[m

Did you ever post your thoughts on the DL-103 cart?

I'm still around
smile.gif

I still use that cart and really like it. I was thinking of moving to the 103R, but my AU300LC step-up converter works perfect for the 103's .030Mv output while the 103R's even lower output of .025Mv is outside of its power curve. Denon makes other step-up converters, but I really like the lively dynamics of the 103 with my particular setup and decided that I have no reason to upgrade. I wish I would have figured that out earlier however, because I have a sealed 103r with an upgraded stylus that I would like to exchange somehow for the equivalent upgraded 103 model at some point.

The 103 is the most musical cartridge I've listened to on my setup, compared to mid-range Ortofons and Grados. It also has the best bass, but it's the mids that really stand out for me. It's not the most micro-detailed on the high end, but it's certainly no slouch in that department either. Overall I find it to be very balanced. My turntable has a lot of dampening but a lively mat and I think it really mates well with the 103. The only pause is the extremely low output of both of these carts, as a .005Mv difference becomes very apparent at such a low level; neither work very well with my GCPH alone.

edited to change .05 to .005 
blink.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #4,573 of 5,377

[m

Did you ever post your thoughts on the DL-103 cart?

I'm still around
smile.gif

I still use that cart and really like it. I was thinking of moving to the 103R, but my AU300LC step-up converter works perfect for the 103's .030Mv output while the 103R's even lower output of .025Mv is outside of its power curve. Denon makes other step-up converters, but I really like the lively dynamics of the 103 with my particular setup and decided that I have no reason to upgrade. I wish I would have figured that out earlier however, because I have a sealed 103r with an upgraded stylus that I would like to exchange somehow for the equivalent upgraded 103 model at some point.

The 103 is the most musical cartridge I've listened to on my setup, compared to mid-range Ortofons and Grados. It also has the best bass, but it's the mids that really stand out for me. It's not the most micro-detailed on the high end, but it's certainly no slouch in that department either. Overall I find it to be very balanced. My turntable has a lot of dampening but a lively mat and I think it really mates well with the 103. The only pause is the extremely low output of both of these carts, as a .005Mv difference becomes very apparent at such a low level; neither work very well with my GCPH alone.

edited to change .05 to .005 
blink.gif

Nice.  Glad you're happy.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,575 of 5,377

We'll see... but so far I am loving the new Rega. The Thorens will move to the living room, when the wife has recovered from the 'table spend and I can finally get some speakers for the 2-channel system.

Today, I added the Rega white belt and TT PSU (power supply and speed control) upgrades.

I am surprised what a difference that made... playing very familiar records and shaking my head. I am officially a Rega fan-boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back