Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,136 of 5,379

YOU take a look.  I'll pass, thank you.

We ain't lookin' either!
nea.gif

May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3,137 of 5,379

Got this thing from my girlfriend and was beat to hell. Wouldn't stop spinning, needle was broken, all the buttons were broke...took it to a record repair guy in Denton, and he had it for five months. Couldn't find anything on it, parts were a debacle. Apparently this is a table that didn't have a long shelf life. Repaired it to the best he could because it's solid aluminum and metal with a great suspension, and it sounds excellent. Model is PL-455. We could only get it semi-automatic even though it's supposed to be full. Apparently there's two motors and he couldn't find the parts for the motor in the arm; so it just goes back when the record runs out, but I have to move it onto the grooves. However, it cuts, speed is fully adjustable, great suspension and deadening, incredibly accurate and reliable speed...this thing is a monster. With repairs, $40 total.

May 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3,138 of 5,379
Man, you got a great deal!  Congratulations.

May 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #3,139 of 5,379
  Nice pics ! And finally a Nagaoka cart.

Not totally sure whether it is possible to mix "low end" Nagaoka cartridge body with "high end" stylus, but MP50 or its present day version MP500 are really nice carts.
The best bang for the buck was MP11 Boron - sadly very rarely available for sale nowadays.

Thanks AS :) Im very happy with the results so far.
I know from being an Ex-Club DJ that DJ carts are great for fast and deep bass, Scratching etc etc....
But I'll try to explain my impressions now I'm using an "audiophile" cart....
I feel its a more gentle sound, Yet far clearer, Its like an overbearing sound ( All be it an ok sound ) has been lifted to reveal something far more revealing but softer. Does that make sense?
Also, I have been pondering if I can use a higher end stylus on the MP-10 Cart?!?! i.e., Keep the MP-10 body but fit an MP-100 Stylus?

@Paul Graham
Nice pictures and a nice upgrade. Oh my, and there are so many more possible upgrades. Which is a good thing; more to discover.
I was wondering what phonoamp you are using and if you can make any adjustments in capacitance. Capacity loading is quite important with this cartridge otherwise it will droop>1kHz followed by a severe treble peak >10kHz if capacitance is to low. It's almost like a treble control on a (non audiophile) amp. With around 600pF (extra 400 over cable+amp capacitance) it will be much more straight and no peak. Highs will end at around 15kHz though. This is something I have to check on my Yaqin MS22b for the Decca cart. But first I have to mod a TDA1541 dac and a TDA1543 dac.

Thank you for your comments.
Im currently using a NAD PP1 phono stage, Its very basic with no adjustments, It has great bass extension and kind of dulls highs a touch, so at the moment its sounding "Balanced" to my ears compared to what I was previously running ( Stanton AL500 / Shure MC35S )
I do plan to eventually upgrade the phono stage, But next on my list are a motor upgrade, Belt and sub-platter upgrade, A Thick wooden plinth for the RP3 to sit on and possibly an Arm upgrade, Either the RB303 or the Funk Firm FXII. And Im also planning to upgrade my Amplifier soon, The Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 is great but Im thinking something more refined either from Arcam or Rega.
Then I'll look at my phono stage options.

May 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #3,141 of 5,379

Thanks AS :) Im very happy with the results so far.
I know from being an Ex-Club DJ that DJ carts are great for fast and deep bass, Scratching etc etc....
But I'll try to explain my impressions now I'm using an "audiophile" cart....
I feel its a more gentle sound, Yet far clearer, Its like an overbearing sound ( All be it an ok sound ) has been lifted to reveal something far more revealing but softer. Does that make sense?
Also, I have been pondering if I can use a higher end stylus on the MP-10 Cart?!?! i.e., Keep the MP-10 body but fit an MP-100 Stylus?

Thank you for your comments.
Im currently using a NAD PP1 phono stage, Its very basic with no adjustments, It has great bass extension and kind of dulls highs a touch, so at the moment its sounding "Balanced" to my ears compared to what I was previously running ( Stanton AL500 / Shure MC35S )
I do plan to eventually upgrade the phono stage, But next on my list are a motor upgrade, Belt and sub-platter upgrade, A Thick wooden plinth for the RP3 to sit on and possibly an Arm upgrade, Either the RB303 or the Funk Firm FXII. And Im also planning to upgrade my Amplifier soon, The Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 is great but Im thinking something more refined either from Arcam or Rega.
Then I'll look at my phono stage options.

Your description of the difference in sound between DJ and audiophile carts certainly does make sense - as you climb up the "corporate" ladder, you will learn to appreciate ever finer differences and gradually learn the audio jargon to describe them with words. But I like and value such "uneducated peasant" ( meant in a GOOD way ) testimonials - because they are unrehearsed and sincere, without reference and desire to be in compliance with opinions and reviews found in the audio press. They are more help to the relative newbie than what old cats are likely to say. Have fun in the process & enjoy it ! 

Nagaoka X0 and X00 are(?) (near?) equivalents - old(er) production single zero, new(er)  two zeroes. Can not 100 % confirm that - or interchangeability of the styli.  The wildest jump should be available ( provided it IS possible in the first place ) by using a 50/500 stylus on 10/100 cart - without having to pay the premium for the ( unnecesssarily ) more expensive cartridge. With some brands/models this is possible (Ortofon OM Series), with some not (Ortofon FF/VMS/M Series) - just because Nagaokas do look it should have been possible, it does not necessarily mean it in fact is. Any first hand experience on this welcome !

May 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,142 of 5,379
Ow, I woulds have sooo many recommendations... I would leave the TT for what it is right now. It's quite ok. I think upgrades elsewhere would bring more (unless you are plague by loud thumping sounds from slamming doors or walking on a wooden floor). CA, Arcam or Rega look like pretty 'audiophile' amps but I would never buy them. About 25y ago I had a Cyrus II which was pretty good. At least I thought so. And I had a Linn Axis, what was considered an 'entry level' (then, there was no Basic yet). I had saved money for an upgrade and I wanted to buy an LP12. My dealer then (he still is :p because he's so reliable and knows what I need/like) advised me against it even though he was a convinced Linn dealer. He suggested I keep the Axis and upgrade my amp to a tubeamp (Audio Innovations 500 that incl an MM tubephono). Man, was he ever right. Goodby hifi, hello music. Music got so much more involving, conveying emotion, the feeling of being there. And a tubeamp doesn't need to be as expensive as it was then (tubes were getting pretty exotic then). And, if that would be to expensive, I came across another option that I blew my socks off at a budget that is quite simply literally ridiculous in audiophile terms (half the NAD PP1). I could happily live with the T-amp that I have (not just any ) under my bed. It puts a lot of amps to shame, even the tubeamp I just discribed. Ok, not quite because it has no phono, heck, it only has one input. But if you want to improve on the sound yu will need to spend at least 4 figures at a brick and mortar store.
But also a better (tube-) phono could improve the sound substantially. Of course it matters what you choose and if you can modify a unit if necessary.

May 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3,144 of 5,379
May 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,145 of 5,379
An update on my post from 3+ months ago: I just fitted this TT with new Linn springs and a JICO SAS needle... Now this baby is really singing!

Quote:
  Just traded in the entry-level kit for an Ariston RD-11S.  Grace 747 tonearm, Shure M91ED cart.

Beautiful, innit?

May 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3,146 of 5,379
'Tis.  Good job.

May 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,147 of 5,379
Just swapped out my Yamaha P-520 to this Pioneer S50 - wanted to make my entire system (outside the Cerwin Vega speakers) all Pioneer.

Looks good, sounds great. 

May 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,150 of 5,379
All Hail, All Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back