Portable Amp for Shure Se535
May 20, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #46 of 58
I use a JDS Labs C5D AMP+DAC with my bronze SE535s and it sounds brilliant, louder bass and clearer highs. Without the amp there was always a background hiss due to the 535s low impedance, this has gone now. I listen to music on my MBP using the DAC and on my HTC One using the AMP and it has improved the sound on both.

May 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #48 of 58
For $100, you might as well drive the Shure SE535s unamped.  They are fairly easy to drive.

May 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #49 of 58
For $100, you might as well drive the Shure SE535s unamped.  They are fairly easy to drive.
I agree. I'd just use them and save till you could spend a little more on a good amp. They sound really good unamped but with the rite amp they excel very well. I've had two pairs. One I've lost :frowning2:. Then one pair I traded. And regretted. So this time I bought the red unlimited 535 and this time they ain't going anywhere lol absoultly love them. I'm driving them with my ipod classic and a continental v3 headphone amp and it's just bliss:). So ya use them unamped till he can save a little more and get a half decent amp. You will not be dissapointed :)

May 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #50 of 58
Hi. Been a while since on these forums.

I have some SE535s coming in the mail soon as replacement for my SE530s that finally died last week. (Thank you Shure replacement program)
Based on reading HeadFI again for the first time in years, I see not much has changed with the SE535s (compared to SE530).

I agree with both points that the SE530s sounded awesome either plugged directly into the source, as well as, sound simply amazing with a low powered amp.
What I like is that an amp is not necessary to enjoy these phones, but when you add an amp they really shine.

crank, For pairing the amps, I always focused on good sound, value and portability, maybe I can offer suggestions?
 (Unfortunately, my gear is a little outdated, so you may need to find updated versions of these products, but IIRC they really weren't that expensive)

- iBasso P2 - Not good for on the go due to size, but great for walking around the house. Multiple gain settings and bass levels for your mood and music. 
- iBasso T2 - Super portable with gain and bass settings for lots of options. 
- Xin SuperMicro IV - Super-duper portable. Amazing sound. Lush bass. Great separation. 
- FiiO E5 - Super-duper portable. Fuller sound than direct. Bass-boost switch if you fancy. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #51 of 58
The HRT Microstreamer is nice. Very detailed and clear DAC/AMP but very full and powerful sounding as well. It's the best amp I've used so far and prefer it by a large margin to FiiO or Nuforce products I've tried. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #52 of 58
I've listened to a few amps some lower level amps and higher end amps. And I've had the continental v3 headphone amp for about a year now and I wouldn't change it for anything IMO. And it is my baby. lol it is very clean and detailed. And very powerful. The 535 doesn't need a amp really sounds good without one. But they excel very well with a good amp. The v3 is on the expensive side of things though but I think was well worth it. I don't think that they are making the v3 rite now though do to the lack of tubes. So I have heard. Does this tube amp sound like a tube amp being having that warm sound ?? Yes and no. I don't think it's as bright as a solid state but not as warm as your normal tube amp would. I just find kg very clean. Quit on the neutral side of things. It actually might had a little bump in the bass region. But very little. Just a beautiful amp all around. Of course this is just my opinion.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 58
I spent a day listening to dozens of portable DAC;s at the Rocky MTN Audio show last fall.  Took my SE-535's and 16 bit audio on my Iphone 5 and listened and listened to what there was to offer .. as they had a complete room devoted to portable audio. I picked up the CEntrace HiFi-M8 as the best combination with my Shure's.  They have the Apple license that allows digital extraction .. so you bypass the iPhone all together.

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 58
Well I've tried my E12 with my 535 and it completely destroys the sound through my iPhone 5s it sounds horrible! Muffled like hell! To much power! Just charging up my E5 & E6 as this should give that tad more bass I want delivered to the 535 with the EQ. Will be interesting to see how they sound when my Baldur MK3's turn up too! :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #56 of 58
Well I must say that the Fiio E6 on eq2 fits perfectly with the 535's just adds that little bass to your tunes, songs sound a little warmer. The E12 killed the sound but a real cheap E6 rocks it! Looking forward to seeing what it sound like with the Baldur MK3 when that turns up in the post :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #57 of 58
Hi, guys!

I want to order Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier (Copper). So I would really appreciate it if you could help me to find the answer to 3 questions.

1. Does Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier (Copper) bypass the iPod’s amp and dac?

2. Do I have to buy a line out dock (LOD) cable if I want to use 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier (Copper) with iPod Classic which has 30 pin connector or LOD cable is included in the package contents? What LOD cable can you recommend?

3. Will my Shure SE535 earphones sound good with Theorem?

Thx!

I got a chance to listen to iPhone 4S+ Theorem 720+ SE535 and love this combination. I do not pay attention about the hiss but it produces a very revealing music with enough bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back