Portable Amp for Shure Se535
Nov 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

ben201

Head-Fier
Hey guys this is Ben
This is my first time creating a new thread so understand if i make mistakes..
I bought se535 and sold my um3x (cost me 100$)
i use ipod touch 4g which i just got and i think i want a portable amp to go with...
is portable amp necessary? also i was looking at RSA Mustang P-51 and Headamp Pico
which would be better for se535/
thank you
-ben

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 58
I can confirm that they sound great straight out of my iPod and iPhone.

They do improve with my Fiio E5. They do sound really good out of my iBasso D4...but then you loose portability.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 58

Quote:
I can confirm that they sound great straight out of my iPod and iPhone.

They do improve with my Fiio E5. They do sound really good out of my iBasso D4...but then you loose portability.

thank you for your helpful reply
i do not really care about portability unless its like 4,5 kilograms
i really care about the sound more than anything

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 58
Been using the Pico amp with the se535. The mids is just excellent!!! :)

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 58

Quote:
Quote:
Been using the Pico amp with the se535. The mids is just excellent!!! :)

thank you for your reply :)
I cannot decide because everyone is saying differently :p

The experience is very subjective, so you will get different answers. A "popular" answer may not even be the best for you because you may prefer a different sound than others. It also depends on the type of music you listen to since it's a somewhat different experience listening to rap than classical.

The best way is to actually listen to some combinations and see what you prefer. If there's a store near you where you can listen to different gear, great. If not, you can buy some new/used gear and see if it's good for you. If it is, you're set. If not, sell it and try something else.

Good luck with your choice.

cheers

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 58
I just picked up these in-ear phones yesterday, they sound great right out of iPhone/iPad.  I tried with my Cary Xciter headphone amp and DAC combo, unfortunately they sound pretty bad for some reason.  Is there such a thing as over driving with these in-ear phones?  Sounds very muddy, too much mids and just bad.  It also picked up a lot of background hisses.  When I hooked up my Sennheiser HD800 to the Cary amp, it sounds great.

I was really hoping going through the Xciter would bring these Shure phones to another level.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 58

Quote:
I just picked up these in-ear phones yesterday, they sound great right out of iPhone/iPad.  I tried with my Cary Xciter headphone amp and DAC combo, unfortunately they sound pretty bad for some reason.  Is there such a thing as over driving with these in-ear phones?  Sounds very muddy, too much mids and just bad.  It also picked up a lot of background hisses.  When I hooked up my Sennheiser HD800 to the Cary amp, it sounds great.

I was really hoping going through the Xciter would bring these Shure phones to another level.

I would think WAY TOO MUCH POWER for IEMs. The Cary Xciter is also a full speaker amp and IEMs need way less juice.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 58
Hi,

Deffend; did you get the headstage arrow? I'm using se535s through an iPhone 4 and was thinking of buying the arrow. Does it help? I've always found the se535 (and 530s before them) to be lacking bass; how's the bass with the arrow?

Thanks

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 58
+1 for pico, my friend has the 535 with ipod touch. Its sounds gret without an amp, and then i lend him my pico and upto now its still with him lol. He wants to buy it from me now haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back