Portable Amp For My Grado cans (and some other low impedance phones)
Apr 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Takahashi

100+ Head-Fier
Hey their folks, I've been searching hard and trying to find the answer. But after several days in the bowls of Head-fi and Head-room I figured I might as well ask.

I'm looking for a portable amp (travel friendly might be the better word here) that will suit my low impedance cans. I have a handful of Grados (SR-60i, 80i, 325is) and several other low impedance phones that I love to use.

In the near future I'm going to be doing some moving and traveling about. I was looking for a portable solution for using the phones on the go, but something that has a small footprint suitable for a home setup works too (like the HiFi Man EF2A for example) would be fine too.

Source is going to be directly out of a computer w/ flac files streaming over the internet from a home server losslessly (so any DAC would be nice as it is most likely better then the stock one) or out of an iPod with Apple Lossless formatted music.

I'm going to be selling off/trading my dedicated home tube amp, a mint condition low hours La Figaro (Darkvoice) 336c and use the funds for this new amp (around $200). I'd pack the 336 with me, but it is just a bit too large, and since I sold off my K701, it is not really the best match for the phones I have left.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, something that is easier to convert for use internationally would be fantastic as I may be doing some work in Korea for five odd weeks in the summer followed by several trips around the states.

Solid state or tube hybrid does not make a difference, though SS can take a better beating in a luggage bag.

Thanks folks.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 10
D2+ or D4, probably.
I think a used 3Move falls within your budget.
There's a mega thread with loads of reviews on portable amps around here somewhere, and a number of them also sport DACs.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 10
D2+ or D4, probably.
I think a used 3Move falls within your budget.
There's a mega thread with loads of reviews on portable amps around here somewhere, and a number of them also sport DACs.

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the looks and features of the 3Move, it looks pretty fantastic. The D2+ and D4 are PMP devices if I'm not mistaken. I was looking more at something that could be used with a PMP like an iPod or iPad just out of convenience.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 10
I was talking about the iBasso D2+ and D4 amp/DACs, not the Cowon D2(+) and D3.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 10
I was talking about the iBasso D2+ and D4 amp/DACs, not the Cowon D2(+) and D3.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up, this is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I take it you can use a 16 pin to USB for the DAC on this? If so I think I have a product to begin looking more into.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Only regular USB.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
How are you getting your files to stream losslessly? I have a windows home server and would be interested in the program you use.

I use the open source media streaming server software (accessed via browser and IP) called Subsonic. It's a pretty neat tool that offers a whole lot of options in the type of media streaming and through what means (there are Android, iOS and desktop streaming apps as well). It can read almost any file type (oh yes FLAC), and is free to use but more features open up with a donation.

What is also really cool is the fact I can upload new albums and download ones remotely, a really handy tool when ripping a cd abroad and not having to save the files on that computer. 

--

In regards to my inquiry, I have bought a used D10 to try out. We'll see how it works out! 

Check it out, again it's free, and it is programmed for every major operating system.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 10
I suggest soundmagic A10
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I suggest soundmagic A10
L3000.gif

Isn't the A10 more for high impedance phones? Not that it wont work with Grados, but I'm afraid of static and of course bass roll off that usually comes from high impedance amps. 

I like the looks, function and price. I can see a inexpensive DAC and some Sennheiser cans making it shine.

--

In other news, I am indeed going to be doing some work in Korea for five weeks, so being charged via USB would be very nice and would prevent having to buy more expensive converters. I cannot wait for the iBasso D10 to arrive, I'll see how that works out for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back