Porta Pro VS KSC75
Jun 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Orel

Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying some cheap portable headphones lately and I stumbled these too which I've heard alot about in the past, and I also read a few topics about them, Anyway, which would be better in sound and comfort? Also, will they require an amp? (I know the porta pro needs one), and is the Fiio E6 good enough?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
I'm looking into buying some cheap portable headphones lately and I stumbled these too which I've heard alot about in the past, and I also read a few topics about them, Anyway, which would be better in sound and comfort? Also, will they require an amp? (I know the porta pro needs one), and is the Fiio E6 good enough?

I'm new to headphone scene. I am starting to get more educated thanks in large part to this website. But I am still a newbie so I will probably say a lot of stupid stuff below.

Firstly, I don't think that the portapro needs an amp. I'm listening to Jeff Beck's THX138 right now on the portapro on my Samsung Galaxy SII (using the Poweramp android app).

Anyway, the portapro sounds awesome (compared to the cheapo phones I'm coming from). It is very bassy though, and doesn't hang onto the trebles a lot. A very full sound. Possibly too full? (that is what I am starting to find). The instrumentation doesn't seem super well defined, but it still sounds great for some reason. Tight on the ears, but very comfortable also. It might be because they are so tight on the ears why it sounds so bassy/full.

Ok, I'm now switching over to the KSC75 which I'm also trying out. I almost didn't give them a chance because I couldn't figure out how to get them on my ears. I then took a deep breath, relaxed and realized how easy it is to do, so that's a non-issue now. They are quite comfortable, and not tight on the ears at all (which at first I thought would be a problem, but now I realize that is by design), although with prolonged listening they might bug my ears a bit. More of an airy/open feel to the sound (no real isolation) that I think I might like better. Possibly not as fatiguing? The bass still sounds great, but not as overpowering and maybe more defined. You can hear more treble (occasionally maybe a bit "bright" - but nothing serious.. Maybe that lessens with more burn in although Koss apparently does 400 hours of burn in or something like that). More distinction in the instruments I find (especially treble). Fwiw, here's a couple of very positive youtube reviews for the KSC75's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BpoIvh81U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuoGn4s54o

And here is a good "shootout" link that reviews both:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

I seem to be doing a lot of waffling between the two depending on which I'm listening to LOL. I started out looking for a headband headphone, but I might very well go for the KSC75's. Also, the KSC75's are half the price($30) of the portapro ($60) (at least where I got them).  But finding this head-fi.org site has made me realize that what I need to do is to spend more time (AND money) finding a /really/ good pair of headphones. And I think that the KSC75 might tie me over well until then :)

Fwiw, I am also testing out a really cheap pair of JVC HA160 headphones (on sale for $20), which surprisingly sound pretty decent also. See reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS160B-Lightweight-Headband-Headphones/product-reviews/B004JRYLG4/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=3

Although not quite as good as the Koss's, they still sound pretty good! If I hadn't tried the portapro and the KSC75, I would probably have been happy enough with the $20 JVC's.

P.S. I also have a pair of Sennheiser neckband PMX680 phones, which I am now realizing are actually quite decent, and will probably remain my gym/get sweaty pair. But I wanted a pair that I could lie down with, and the Senn's neckband gets in the way of that.

Good luck!

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I seem to be doing a lot of waffling between the two depending on which I'm listening to LOL. I started out looking for a headband headphone, but I might very well go for the KSC75's. Also, the KSC75's are half the price($30) of the portapro ($60) (at least where I got them).  But finding this head-fi.org site has made me realize that what I need to do is to spend more time (AND money) finding a /really/ good pair of headphones. And I think that the KSC75 might tie me over well until then :)

Actually, I think I've screwed myself now. I was reading this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584743/koss-portapro-vs-ksc75

And someone mentioned there that he put the ksc75's drivers in the portapro's headband. I just did that. I am really digging both the comfort and the sound. So, I might have to buy both of them now! Screwed LOL!

Edit: Definitely screwed! Not only do I love the ksc75 drivers on the portapro's headband (sounds awesome), I also love the portapro's drivers in the ksc75's earbands! The portapro driver's bass seems less overwhelming when not as tight to the ear. All I know is that in the swapped configurations, both sound great. Sigh!

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 13
First of all, the Sportapro sounds almost exactly the same as the Portapro, but the Sportpro is priced much less. The KSC75 has better highs than the Portapro/Sportapro. I put the KSC75 drivers on the Sportapro headband. They clicked right in. I couldn't get the KSC75 drivers to fit on the Portapro headband, but the Portapro drivers will snap into the KSC75 earhooks. I bought the Portapro, Sportapro, and KSC75 more than 10 years ago. Since then, I bought the Sennheiser PX100 and the JVC HA-S160, both of which I like much better than the Portapro/Sportapro, or KSC75. The JVC HA-S160 is only around $13! When I want to wear something open without a headband that won't fall out of my ears when active, I use the $8 JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with rubber earhooks.  Imo the HA-EB75 sounds better than the KSC75. I say go for the JVC  HA-S160 and HA-EB75. You can get both for around $21 on Amazon.. If you are still curious about the Koss headphones, you could get both the Sportapro and KSC75 for around $37 total, while the Portapro is around $33 by itself.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
First of all, the Sportapro sounds almost exactly the same as the Portapro, but the Sportpro is priced much less. The KSC75 has better highs than the Portapro/Sportapro. I put the KSC75 drivers on the Sportapro headband. They clicked right in. I couldn't get the KSC75 drivers to fit on the Portapro headband, but the Portapro drivers will snap into the KSC75 earhooks. I bought the Portapro, Sportapro, and KSC75 more than 10 years ago. Since then, I bought the Sennheiser PX100 and the JVC HA-S160, both of which I like much better than the Portapro/Sportapro, or KSC75. The JVC HA-S160 is only around $13! When I want to wear something open without a headband that won't fall out of my ears when active, I use the $8 JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with rubber earhooks.  Imo the HA-EB75 sounds better than the KSC75. I say go for the JVC  HA-S160 and HA-EB75. You can get both for around $21 on Amazon.. If you are still curious about the Koss headphones, you could get both the Sportapro and KSC75 for around $37 total, while the Portapro is around $33 by itself.

All good stuff. I have read good things about the Sennheiser PX100, but the only place I can find them (Canada) is here for $82 CN:
http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-100-II-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black/dp/B002VPDOH8

I have had a different experience with the JVC HA-S160 though. Your post prompted me to try them again (on my Samsung Galaxy SII), and they sound good, but the KSC75 (on Portapro headband - mine were easy to click in) sounds quite a bit better (cleaner, less muddy). But, I am starting to appreciate that there is a lot of personal preference that goes into this. Hopefully the OP can try out a few himself before deciding.

p.s. I have since found that there are other really cheap headphones that you can purchase to put the KSC75 drivers into, such as the following:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-015

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

All good stuff. I have read good things about the Sennheiser PX100, but the only place I can find them (Canada) is here for $82 CN:
http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-100-II-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black/dp/B002VPDOH8

I have had a different experience with the JVC HA-S160 though. Your post prompted me to try them again (on my Samsung Galaxy SII), and they sound good, but the KSC75 (on Portapro headband - mine were easy to click in) sounds quite a bit better (cleaner, less muddy). But, I am starting to appreciate that there is a lot of personal preference that goes into this. Hopefully the OP can try out a few himself before deciding.

p.s. I have since found that there are other really cheap headphones that you can purchase to put the KSC75 drivers into, such as the following:

Portapro less muddy than the HA-S160????? The Portapro is the one with the muddiness and  boomy bass. The HA-S160 sounds very neutral, and not muddy at all. Did you let the HA-S160 burn in? Let it play for at least 50 hours, then listen to it.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 13
ir

I didn't even give the clips a chance. :wink: Ordered everything I needed to mod it including the Senneiser PX200 earpads in one swoop.. Love these things.. :)

I think my Flats are getting jealous though... O_o

IMAG0179-1.jpg

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Portapro less muddy than the HA-S160????? The Portapro is the one with the muddiness and  boomy bass. The HA-S160 sounds very neutral, and not muddy at all. Did you let the HA-S160 burn in? Let it play for at least 50 hours, then listen to it.

I was referring to the KSC75 drivers (on a portapro headband, also using the portapro's pads) - I am really loving the sound of that combo.

But I am also enjoying the PORTAPRO drivers on the ksc75 earclips (also using the ksc75's pads) - for some reason this makes the portapro drivers much less boomy (and less "muddy" I think also).

But no, I didn't let the HA-S160's burn in like that. So maybe I will try them again. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I didn't even give the clips a chance.
wink.gif
Ordered everything I needed to mod it including the Senneiser PX200 earpads in one swoop.. Love these things..
smily_headphones1.gif

I think my Flats are getting jealous though... O_o
IMAG0179-1.jpg

I hadn't yet thought of the Senneiser PX200 earpads concept. That is very cool. I want that!!!!

If you don't mind, where did you get the pads from?

My problem is that I need all of the components within about one week or scrap the idea. I could get the headband on amazon here for a total of $23 CN:
http://www.amazon.ca/Mini-Stereo-Lightweight-Headphones-Cord/dp/B007ZRLJUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340335560&sr=8-1

But that would probably take a few weeks to get delivered. Grrr!  And now I want those Senn pads too!

Thanks for posting the pic.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 13
I hadn't yet thought of the Senneiser PX200 earpads concept. That is very cool. I want that!!!!

If you don't mind, where did you get the pads from?

My problem is that I need all of the components within about one week or scrap the idea. I could get the headband on amazon here for a total of $23 CN:
http://www.amazon.ca/Mini-Stereo-Lightweight-Headphones-Cord/dp/B007ZRLJUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340335560&sr=8-1
ir

But that would probably take a few weeks to get delivered. Grrr!  And now I want those Senn pads too!

Thanks for posting the pic.

The earpads weren't official Senneiser replacements. Just some generic eBay ones. Lol.
Seller was hdplayer-store from Hong Kong. Took about 10 days to get to Louisiana.

Also this was one other thing that I did after installing the Senn earpads...

IMAG0184-1.jpg

I found the highs to bright for me since the new pads have a thin cloth layer vs.the original foam. So I cut a circle with the spare foam pads that came with the Parts Express headphones and put them in the Senn pads... In the picture left was with the added foam. Right was without. Sound was perfect for me. The Kramer mod was not meant for me apparently. Bright enough stock. Lol. Your preference might differ from mine though.. :)

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
The earpads weren't official Senneiser replacements. Just some generic eBay ones. Lol.
Seller was hdplayer-store from Hong Kong. Took about 10 days to get to Louisiana.
Also this was one other thing that I did after installing the Senn earpads...
IMAG0184-1.jpg

I found the highs to bright for me since the new pads have a thin cloth layer vs.the original foam. So I cut a circle with the spare foam pads that came with the Parts Express headphones and put them in the Senn pads... In the picture left was with the added foam. Right was without. Sound was perfect for me. The Kramer mod was not meant for me apparently. Bright enough stock. Lol. Your preference might differ from mine though..
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey man, thank for the info! Greatly appreciated. And pictures tell 1000 words - if I get those pads, I think that I would do the same mod, because I don't think that I would want the ksc75's any brighter!

Anyway, I broke down and got the mini stereo lightweight headphones from part-express. Ridiculous shipping costs, but I will apparently get them this week, which is what I need. I think that I will like the KSC75's mounted on those mini headphones more than on the portapro headband which I find to be quite tight (and I notice the portapro headband quite a bit when I take them off and hang them around my neck). And even though I love the sound of the portapro driver on the ksc75 earclips, I have come to realize that I simply don't like earclips - they pinch my ears after a while, and it's too much of a hassle to take them off briefly to talk to someone (I realize that I don't need to take them off to talk, but I like to do it). So, I'll most likely take back the portapro
cool.gif

On a side note, have you tried the Yuin G2A's? They get pretty good reviews. Maybe I need a 2nd pair of mini headphones for some G2A's LOL! Then again, I know that I love the KSC75's, so maybe I should stop before this headphone thing becomes a problem!

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Hey man, thank for the info! Greatly appreciated. And pictures tell 1000 words - if I get those pads, I think that I would do the same mod, because I don't think that I would want the ksc75's any brighter!

Anyway, I broke down and got the mini stereo lightweight headphones from part-express. Ridiculous shipping costs, but I will apparently get them this week, which is what I need. I think that I will like the KSC75's mounted on those mini headphones more than on the portapro headband which I find to be quite tight (and I notice the portapro headband quite a bit when I take them off and hang them around my neck). And even though I love the sound of the portapro driver on the ksc75 earclips, I have come to realize that I simply don't like earclips - they pinch my ears after a while, and it's too much of a hassle to take them off briefly to talk to someone (I realize that I don't need to take them off to talk, but I like to do it). So, I'll most likely take back the portapro :cool:

On a side note, have you tried the Yuin G2A's? They get pretty good reviews. Maybe I need a 2nd pair of mini headphones for some G2A's LOL! Then again, I know that I love the KSC75's, so maybe I should stop before this headphone thing becomes a problem!

Hey sorry for the late response. :xf_eek: No problem for the info. I'm happy to help where I can. Yes Parts Express shipping cost is ridiculous. Was hesitant to buy the bands at first. Lol.
And no I haven't tried the Yuin's. They look like another fun mod project though. :) I do have a pair of Portapros and another pair of Senn PX200 earpads on the way though.
Can't wait to try them out.. :D

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Hey sorry for the late response.
redface.gif
No problem for the info. I'm happy to help where I can. Yes Parts Express shipping cost is ridiculous. Was hesitant to buy the bands at first. Lol.
And no I haven't tried the Yuin's. They look like another fun mod project though.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do have a pair of Portapros and another pair of Senn PX200 earpads on the way though.
Can't wait to try them out..
biggrin.gif

No problem Formula! I got the Part-express headband the other day, and have been using the KSC75's on it (with the portapro thinner and less itchy pads). I was still thinking that I liked the portapro/earclip combo better. For some reason, the sound out of the KSC75's was hurting my brain. I then played around more with the Poweramp app's equializer, and basically changed many/most of the settings. The biggest change was that I brought the mids down, and that made all the difference in the world. Now when I use the KSC75's with the new settings and compare it to the portapro on the other settings, I am enjoying them both equally (even though they have different signatures). So now I love the KSC75's on the Part-express headband with portapro ear pads.

Throughout this all, I also got compelled into ordering a pair of PX100-II's! They are going to rock, so I'm quite happy about that. I'm taking back the portapro's today, but I do really love the sound of them on the earclips, so who knows, maybe I'll purchase another pair down the road if I feel the need (and I'll find them for a lot cheaper than I paid for them this time). So it's all good!

Cheers for now!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back