Poll: Best IEM for Trance (any price)
Apr 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #77 of 128
^ are u still talking about treble sparkle?

I found the CK10 to be better than all of those iem's mentioned although the coppers was based on a 2 hr listen.

edit: The CK10 and TF10 sound stage was very similar when I briefly compared them when I had them but no longer have them to compare.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #78 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by kameenadesi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why would people not consider HeadDirect RE0's treble to sparkle? i was getting the impression that RE0s treble is of the best in the business, and that RE0s are known for treble extension, refinement, and detail.

Because it is highly extended and detailed, but not highly refined. I concur with the search on this one. That doesn't mean they are harsh either, they're just, well, average and not sparkly. Pianist said he hasn't heard the Audio Technicas. If he would, maybe his standard for treble refinement would change.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #80 of 128
Quote:

interesting, i can agree the RE0s can get boring, i guess not enough energy(sparkle?)

Energy/sparkle......call it what you will, I know many headfiers that own the CK10, I own the Triple.fi's among many others, the RE0 treble does not compare to either in my view......especially soundstage, no I haven't heard the CK10, but when you know enough people that have owned both, and almost all of them think the CK10 edges out the triples in treble detail, it's a pretty fair conclusion to draw. You own the RE0..........do they do trance well enough for you? If not pick an iem, and move on. You have some dedicated headfiers, giving you the same advice, so it's up to you now, asking for more from the headfi community for such a simple qeustion is rude, and unfair, you are abusing the system.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #81 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Energy/sparkle......call it what you will, I know many headfiers that own the CK10, I own the Triple.fi's among many others, the RE0 treble does not compare to either in my view......especially soundstage, no I haven't heard the CK10, but when you know enough people that have owned both, and almost all of them think the CK10 edges out the triples in treble detail, it's a pretty fair conclusion to draw. You own the RE0..........do they do trance well enough for you? If not pick an iem, and move on. You have some dedicated headfiers, giving you the same advice, so it's up to you now, asking for more from the headfi community for such a simple qeustion is rude, and unfair, you are abusing the system.

hey there tiger calm down, i already mentioned i was in the process of ordering CK10, and this thread is for all trance listeners including myself, if you cant tolerate questions/comments/recommendations please refrain from replying to this thread.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #82 of 128
Perhaps next time when you make a poll, you can come up with a more reasonable list? I'm not bashing you or anything. It's just that you will never get a fair opinion this way because I highly doubt that they'll be any single person who've heard all the IEMs that you've listed in the poll, and people will just vote for whatever they have or like, not necessarily one compared to another.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #83 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps next time when you make a poll, you can come up with a more reasonable list? I'm not bashing you or anything. It's just that you will never get a fair opinion this way because I highly doubt that they'll be any single person who've heard all the IEMs that you've listed in the poll, and people will just vote for whatever they have or like, not necessarily one compared to another.

yes, i had that in mind, but this poll can give an idea to headfiers on choosing what sound preferences, sound signature, and soundstage depth, etc. that these IEMs offer.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #84 of 128
Quote:

Then why would people not consider HeadDirect RE0's treble to sparkle? i was getting the impression that RE0s treble is of the best in the business, and that RE0s are known for treble extension, refinement, and detail.

And you are right - the treble reproduction is one of RE0's main strengths. The reasons why people may think the treble is not good on the RE0 are: 1. They are not getting a good fit; 2. Their pair is defective; 3. The RE0 is too revealing for their sources and/or recordings; 4. People don't know what good treble is supposed to sound like. Balanced armature phones reproduce treble in a completely different manner than dynamics like RE0. I generally find that dynamics have a more natural,delicate sounding treble, while armatures are brighter, sharper and more aggressive. Those who are used to listening to BA IEMs can thus perceive dynamics as "unrefined" in the upper registers, when in reality, the dynamics just don't force treble details into the foreground as much as BAs do. Because this forcing of details by many BA drivers causes the upper treble to become more prominent in the mix, the phones are perceived as more sparkly than dynamics. I used to own a pair of q-jays (I know my sig still lists them, but I don't own them anymore) - very sparkly phones. The sparkle was really great even at very listening levels, but treble quality was nowhere near as good as that of the RE0 - the treble on the q-jays could often get out of control and become harsh and sibilant and also lacked refinement and clarity upon closer examination. But when listening to them for the first few days, I was like "Wow, these destroy RE0 in the highs - so much more present and sparkly!" But when I listened more critically I began to realize that RE0 is the one that kills the q-jays in the treble and that the reason why q-jays seemed to sound so much better at first was simply because their trebles were a lot more aggressive and sharp than on the RE0.

I also heard the Triple.fi many times. Yes they have excellent treble quality as well, but RE0 is still better because they are just more delicate and convey subtle information better.

Quote:

TF10 and MTPC are in the lead, followed by CK10 (i'm guessing not too many people have heard the CKs yet)... anyways Ortofons and IE8s also seem to be very favored.

I don't recommend IE8. With a good fit, they have way too much bass for trance (or for any other music for that matter). With a poor seal, the bass is about right, but isolation becomes very bad and you won't be able to use them on noisy streets and public transport. You could of course EQ them to your tastes, but the EQ has to be of good quality, which the ones in most portable players don't have. And even if you EQ them, the e-Q7 still beats them, because it has tighter, faster bass and better clarity and detail in the mids and highs.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #85 of 128
i agree on the whole with the exception with what you say about the IE8. i will grant you im no lover of the 8 and its bassy yet really warm sound. it is a really strange beast but if its sound works for you i think there is nothing else quite like it. so while on no planet could it be thought of as a monitor it does what it does in quite spectacular fashion.

May 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #87 of 128
i got the CK10 three days ago, and i am very impressed the the immersed feeling i get when listening to trance, I'd like to thank all those who recommended the CK10, appreciate it. I was using the small RE0 biflanges, which produced the best overall sound compared to stock CK10 tips and sony hybrids, But i lost one of the RE0 small bifllanges!.... and now i dunno what to do... and just to note, the RE0 has a more intimate feeling with trance( i guess because of its small soundstage compared to CK10 ) which IMO gives more goosebumps and chills..also i think the treble is much more forward and "sparkly" on the RE0, so i would recommend the RE0 for those trance fans on a budget....well its been about 8 hours on the CK10, i hope it gets better, but its definitely awesome and worth the price.

May 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #89 of 128

Quote:
i got the CK10 three days ago, and i am very impressed the the immersed feeling i get when listening to trance, I'd like to thank all those who recommended the CK10, appreciate it. I was using the small RE0 biflanges, which produced the best overall sound compared to stock CK10 tips and sony hybrids, But i lost one of the RE0 small bifllanges!.... and now i dunno what to do... and just to note, the RE0 has a more intimate feeling with trance( i guess because of its small soundstage compared to CK10 ) which IMO gives more goosebumps and chills..also i think the treble is much more forward and "sparkly" on the RE0, so i would recommend the RE0 for those trance fans on a budget....well its been about 8 hours on the CK10, i hope it gets better, but its definitely awesome and worth the price.

How is bass on CK10, RE0 for Trance compared to V-Moda Bass Freq?..............

May 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #90 of 128
@ZARIM. .... well its kinda been a while since i've heard the vmoda bass freq... but IMO i loved the bass on them for trance, great impact...very fun vibrations(reverberation?) and awesome deepness of the bass, i consider the vmodas a very colored, fun, and lively iem for trance....For bass the RE0 has no competition...there is no body, very little to no impact, "very light knock on the door", but the treble for trance definitely helps the bass lightness, very balanced, i'd say a little more balanced but intimate(dynamic feel to it) than CK10.....but the CK10 cannot be beaten by RE0/VMODA in the sense of immersion, spaceyness, instrument separation, tiny details, and i think the bass has a little less impact than the VMODA bass freqs... im slightly dissappointed b/c im not gettin chills and euphoric/trippy moments with the CK10 compared to RE0...also if u want more bass, space, and impact with RE0...rip off the foam from comply T400s, attach those t400 cores to RE0 and then attach RE0 small biflanges on the cores, much better SQ IMo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back