Please lend me a helping hand with picking right headphones for Titanium HD
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Velsu

Head-Fier
Hello

Im a fresh member on forums and i feel really bad that im making my first ever post/thread about begging for help but i have no choice. Usually i dont make such things and try to research info by myself,reading existing topics and reviews but this time i could really use help from some expert.

I dont think im an 100% audiophile but i can most likely see difference between realtek HD and a proper sound card (couldnt stand the sound of RHD) so i decided to purchase Titanium HD and Logitech Z623 speakers. When i connected everything,configured my sound card and launched foobar2000 with WASAPI and some FLAC files i got blown away by the quality of sound,it was just AMAZING!

Then my fiance came back home and i put on my Razer Carcharias and "magic" dissapeared...sound was ok,a lot better than before on RHD but it just wasnt same exciting feeling like on Z623.
I decided then that i want some proper gaming headset but reading lots other threads it appeared that 98% of then are too weak and its better to invest in stereo headphones + clip mic.

Now getting to the point,please help me choose proper headphones for me,here is the situation:

It will be 50%-60% music and 40-50% games,sometimes a movie or tv show but that will be really rare.

Games im playing are Dota,MMO,RPG's and a bit of FPS.
Music will be Dubstep,Trance,soft electronical Music,Orchestra,Symphony and Classical Music. Sometimes Rock/Metal but thats not so often.

I want them to be comfortable so i can have them on for few hours straight,even during hot days.

I got really,really interested in Beyerdynamic DT 770,880 or 990 250 ohm but i was wondering if i my Titanium HD can drive them without issues? I do understand i wont get EVERYTHING out of them without amp but for now i want to make sure it will work on low to mid volume without any distortions and problems.
I have saw few threads with people claiming Titanium HD CAN drive 250 ohm versions of beyerdynamics.

There IS possibility of buying an amp but not now,maybe in 6 months to 1 year and for now i would like to connect them directly to my Titanium HD.

Will it be sufficient? Which of Beyerdynamic DT's would suit my needs best? (never used closed cans so im not sure how they work too)

Also extra question,will amp allow me to extend cords so i can lye down on bed,listen to music while headphones are connected to PC? Any good amp worth recommending? The only one i know is Woo Audio 2 but i guess its overkill for me (it looks great tho,piece of art!)

I know its a wall of text,lot of chaos and bad grammar because english is not my primary language but i hope i could get some help from more experienced users.

Thank You in advance

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 21
Or similar, the soundmagic HP100, great for all your needs

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
Heya,

The Titanium HD will power most headphones fine. I would go with 250ohm to have plenty of room to spare.

I would get the DT880 unless you just want more mid-bass, in which case go with the DT990.

Very best,

These are good choices...+1

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 21
Thank You for interest in my thread.

So DT 880 will be okay for dubstep music and classical music? I guess they are kinda all around headphones and seem to be the "finest" among those 3 choices. I decided i will try to find some music shop in my area and listen to all three to decide.

Do You guys know personally anyone who is using beyerdynamic headphones directly plugged to Titanium HD? Im really torn between people saying this card can drive them well and people saying i need amp or they will be useless.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Thank You for interest in my thread.

So DT 880 will be okay for dubstep music and classical music? I guess they are kinda all around headphones and seem to be the "finest" among those 3 choices. I decided i will try to find some music shop in my area and listen to all three to decide.

Do You guys know personally anyone who is using beyerdynamic headphones directly plugged to Titanium HD? Im really torn between people saying this card can drive them well and people saying i need amp or they will be useless.

Heya,

I would avoid a sound card unless you simply must use one. I would get something like a Fiio E10 honestly, if music is what you're primarily doing. If it's all about gaming, and you want to use nearly any headphone, the Xonar STX would be a good route to go, it's amplifier is fantastic and will handle up to 600ohms very nicely. The DT880 can handle everything, it's neutral, but if you want more bass for things, the DT990 would be more appropriate.

Very best,

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 21
Well as i stated in my thread,already got Titanium HD and enjoying it much so i dont plan switching to other sound card as this one is just amazing (had xonar's earlier).

About amp,is there any "balanced" amp for gaming AND music?

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 21
I have the Titanium HD, its a fantastic soundcard thats for sure, does music good, does movies, does games.  It has some power, now i have the Q701s and im having a bit of a issue driving them thru my Titanium HD, but i had the K550s and i had no issues, i had the HD 558s and had no issues.  I think HPs that require alot to drive them you may have some issues, but im going to get a Fiio E9 and run it from my soundcard and call it a day.

Im no expert on HPs, but i would keep the Titanium HD and get a Fiio E9 or similiar amp and call it a day.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 21
Oh yes i forgot to mention that i have AV receiver Onkyo 605,is there any way i can use it instead of buying amp? Is it even possible to connect such receiver to PC soundcard via something else than digital/optic?

And more and more i read about things i leaning towards Beyerdynamic DT 880,they seem to be perfect :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
Oh yes i forgot to mention that i have AV receiver Onkyo 605,is there any way i can use it instead of buying amp? Is it even possible to connect such receiver to PC soundcard via something else than digital/optic?

And more and more i read about things i leaning towards Beyerdynamic DT 880,they seem to be perfect :)

Heya,

Yes, use the receiver, it's perfectly good for this.

Input everything to it however you want (optical, SPDIFF, analog, etc) and plug in your headphones. Good to go. The DT880 250ohm would be perfect.

Very best,

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Oh yes I forgot to mention that i have AV receiver Onkyo 605,is there any way i can use it instead of buying amp? Is it even possible to connect such receiver to PC soundcard via something else than digital/optic?

The Onkyo TX-SR605 should have no problem driving 250-Ohm headphones
Chances are the T-HD (Titanium HD) comes with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then the Onkyo.
So running RCAs from the T-HD to RCA inputs on the Onkyo would sound best.
The T-HD can send processed headphone surround sound thru the RCAs
You would need to make sure all setting on the Onkyo are set to stereo (2-channel).
The Onkyo can not on it's own process surround sound for headphones, need to have the T-HD do it.

You could also easily run S/PDIF (Coaxial preferred, but Toslink optical is second choice)
from the T-HD to the Onkyo and still get headphone surround sound.

Another choice is to get a headphone amplifier plugged straight into the T-HDs RCA outputs.
There are lots of single tube headphone amplifiers sold on eBay, ships from China.
Price are $50-$120, mininum of $70 to $90 is better.
But the single tube amps should be better at driving 250-Ohm headphones then the T-HD or Onkyo.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 21
Wow thats what i call an informative post. Thank You for all this info Purple Angel,now everything is clear to me regarding onkyo + THD.

And yes im still thinking about purchasing desktop amp (maybe earlier than i expected) so plan for now is to buy headphones,connect them directly to THD and then in month-two buy desktop amp to fully enjoy those phones.

I was wondering if FiiO E9 will be sufficient for MUSIC and GAMING? I really have no idea about amps and i got interested in this one due to iphone/ipod slot which can be handy during travels.

Also i hit the wall with headphones....some people say DT 770 is great for gaming,but sucks for music...then i read the opposite. Same for other models,DT 880 people say is great overall but lacks ANY bass (and i need at least some for dubstep/games). Then some people claim DT 990 is great for gaming and others say they are just "fun" headphones and i shouldnt purchase them...gah:frowning2:
Also i dont know if i should buy 250 ohm or just go straight 600 ohm + amp and get blown away.
All i want is good setup for music and gaming.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 21
E9 is ok, but the output impedance is kinda high. i suggest the JDS Labs Objective2 amp, and like i said, give the new soundMAGIC HP100 a go, they really do sound great, and work well with anything you throw at them

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Wow thats what i call an informative post. Thank You for all this info Purple Angel,now everything is clear to me regarding onkyo + THD.
And yes im still thinking about purchasing desktop amp (maybe earlier than i expected) so plan for now is to buy headphones,connect them directly to THD and then in month-two buy desktop amp to fully enjoy those phones.
I was wondering if FiiO E9 will be sufficient for MUSIC and GAMING? I really have no idea about amps and i got interested in this one due to iphone/ipod slot which can be handy during travels.
Also i hit the wall with headphones....some people say DT 770 is great for gaming,but sucks for music...then i read the opposite. Same for other models,DT 880 people say is great overall but lacks ANY bass (and i need at least some for dubstep/games). Then some people claim DT 990 is great for gaming and others say they are just "fun" headphones and i shouldnt purchase them...gah:frowning2:
Also i dont know if i should buy 250 ohm or just go straight 600 ohm + amp and get blown away.
All i want is good setup for music and gaming.

The Fiio E9 should be fine for 250-Ohm headphones.
I own the DT770 250-Ohm and DT990 250-Ohm.
Unless I need to block outside noise, I use the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, it's good for all audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back