Please help me pick out an upgrade!
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

That dude

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a iCute Beyond to drive both my K501 and HD480. The k501 became harsh and its bass became even more lean. (soundstage was excellent though). Therefore I'm looking into buying a new amp. I'm trying to keep it on a budget of probably around $300-$400. I'd squeeze out abit more cash if the amp is worth it. Currently I'm looking at the Darkvoice 336i. I'll be using the oppo dv980h as the source. Anything that can double as a pre-amp for my speaker setup will be a bonus but it's not compulsory. I haven't tried many tube amps so I'm quite curious.

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I am using the Oppo and a 336i with K701s and I am quite happy. I am not sure if I will ever get used to the AKG house sound but the Darkvoice does a nice job taming them. I guess I'm just a Sennheiser kind of guy!

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 12
How does the amp affect your k701?

Thx

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Bump.

Please more suggestions! I can't afford to make the wrong choice!

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm not a K701 user, but I know some that have the LD MKIII tube amp. They really like the combination and the tube rolling options. It is worth checking into for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Do you have to buy new? Your dollar goes a lot further on the used market. In the FS Forum is this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ear-hd-304101/

He wants $425 or so. Great deal on a great amp.

On Audiogon, there's a Bottlehead SEX. Here:

AudiogoN ForSale: Bottlehead SEX Single Ended Tube

Only $300.

I'm not affiliated with either seller, but think these are pretty good deals and both are solid upgrades from your current rig. You should poke around to see if a used Singlepower is out there. Those are terrific.

But keep an eye on the used market - everything is usually 50% off and good amps hold up for years. A lot of them come with extra tubes, too. You can't go wrong.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't HAVE to buy new, but I'd want to buy locally. (Singapore).

The mapletree is a little out of my league after shipping and everything. Moreover, I'd have to borrow a credit card. The audiogon seller only ships to the US. [Hate conus]

Thanks for the advice guys!

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Actually I can get darkvoice from Jaben.

I'm kind of worried about tube rolling as I've heard about bad tubes frying headphones and the amp's internal circuitry.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I can get darkvoice from Jaben.

I'm kind of worried about tube rolling as I've heard about bad tubes frying headphones and the amp's internal circuitry.

I can't speak to Dark Voice amps, because I don't own any. I can speak to Little-Dot amps, which I own several. In the last two years, I have never heard of a Little-Dot amp or it's tubes, frying headphones and/or the internal circuitry. The entire MK series of amps from Little-Dot are some of the most reliable tube amps on the market, not just in theory, but in practice. Hundreds of users here own them and speak of this daily.

I wouldn't worry at all, about such stories. They represent 1 in maybe a couple thousand units, if that few. I'm sure many would back me up on this, whether they have DV or LD amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back