Playaz N1
Jul 16, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #436 of 506
Quote:
What about the AR100s? Not mentioned much.

I have them and gave a short description here. But the N1 are still my favourites among the open Playaz phones.

Quote:
playaz and xears are good for the money but their build quality is awful

Quote:
been listening to the td100's for a few hours and man do they kick ass

These two posts pretty much sum up the Playaz/Xears experience. Awesome sound for the buck, at the expense of build quality.

BTW I wish they would ditch the J-cord for a Y, would be much more convenient for over-ear.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #437 of 506

Quote:
These two posts pretty much sum up the Playaz/Xears experience. Awesome sound for the buck, at the expense of build quality.

BTW I wish they would ditch the J-cord for a Y, would be much more convenient for over-ear.

Yes j-corded earphones are no good
If they got the build of hje900 then that would be phenomenal
i can confirm after 30 hours of burn in that the td100's best all the playaz/xears line up

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #438 of 506

Quote:

Exactly what I said in my review as well.. and I think J-cords suck.. period..

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #439 of 506

Quote:
been listening to the td100's for a few hours and man do they kick ass
with the right tips, the low bass rumble is crazy
it literally vibrates in your ears without a hint of distortion
im impressed especially for 20 euro

I told you ; )

Sub-bass reminds me the one coming from the Hippo VB.

Also build quality is good compared with other models.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #440 of 506
This whole playaz/xears topic makes me think perhaps we should compare IEMs based on the kinds of drivers used by the manufacturer to create the particular IEM, and not hype, brandname, marketing, etc...

For instance

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=174441060

is a link to a bunch of subminiature speakers. Included are the drivers used in very expensive custom or universal IEMs. If we know the driver used, we can make more informed decisions about the value of the IEM.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #441 of 506
This thread got me interested enough to try out the TD100, so here's my noob impressions of it. Caveat: I only have eterna rev.2 as my main point of reference, and zero eq'ing done. I've also listened to klipsch X10, Westone 1, AudioTech CKS90, CX300 in shops, but I'll refrain from making comparisons to those as I haven't listened to them enough (I can say with confidence the CX300 is the weakest of the bunch tho).

First impressions out of the packet: the TD100's treble sounded very harsh, mids recessed esp. the lower mids, Bass was anemic compared to eterna.

Burning in period: Very dramatic improvements, esp. to the treble.

After 50 hrs burning: Overall sounds quite smooth now, esp. compared to when I first got it. Unlike some others in this thread, after 50hrs of burning I'm not noticing anymore improvements to the sound, but maybe more experienced listeners would hear more changes. I still think the lower mids are slightly recessed, and upper mids a bit too loud. Soundstage is great, instruments/voices are clearly defined and separated. Picks up a lot of details.

td100 vs eterna rev.2:
I realize that this is probably a terrible comparison, as they are quite opposite. At the lowest registers, eterna's bass beats td100 hands down, eterna's bass goes much deeper with much more quantity (and no amt of eq'ing will be able to bring the td100's bass up to eterna's levels). For lower mids I found td100's a bit too soft, while eterna's was overwhelming (too loud). Upper mids is the opposite, td100 slightly too loud, eterna a bit too soft. In terms of soundstage, I think the td100 does much much better, eterna sounds a bit flat. td100 also picks up a lot more details.

Eq'ing:
As you can guess, my equalizer setting for td100 and eterna look almost opposite of each other. Eq'ing can bring eterna's low mids down a bit and upper mids up, and opposite applies for the td100, with the only caveat that you can't bring the td100's bass up to eterna's levels, so in that sense, eterna gains more from eq'ing.

Overall:
I love and prefer the td100 for listening to pop music. After eq'ing tho, I still prefer eterna for heavy rock music. For something like rage against the machine, i must have my bass
biggrin.gif
! The drums sound more alive, and overall more fun. Judging by the reviews I've read on this forum, I'm guessing I would be considered a total basshead, so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

td100 vs N3 vs XNR120PRO(pre burn-in):
I sold off the N3 and XNR120PRO to friends, so I've only had quick listens to them. N3 sounds very similar to td100 but with less bass. I listened to XNR120PRO when I passed them to my friend, so it hadn't been burnt in yet. Initial impression is that its bass is more punchy than td100; treble sounded harsh, but I expect that like the td100 it mellows down after burning in.

Noob questions for my senpai:
What do you mean by driver flex? Do you mean the sound slightly "skips"?
What is a warm sound and what is a cold sound?
Why do people prefer Y cord over J cord for non-over the ear IEMs? I prefer J-cord better myself...

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #442 of 506
Quote:

Noob questions for my senpai:
What do you mean by driver flex? Do you mean the sound slightly "skips"?
What is a warm sound and what is a cold sound?
Why do people prefer Y cord over J cord for non-over the ear IEMs? I prefer J-cord better myself...

Driver flex means crackling of the driver's diaphragm caused by changes in air pressure, mostly while inserting the IEMs or moving your head.

Warm vs. cold sound, look here.

Some people want to wear their cable over the ear to reduce cable noise (microphonics) while walking. This is much harder to do and looks goofy with J-cord.

BTW nice impressions, you're probably the very first to complain about insufficient bass with these phones.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #444 of 506
Hi!

I've been a lurker for quite a long time, but this time I decided I should join the discussion :)

I have both the Playaz N3 and more recently the Xears TD100. Before that I used the Sennheiser CX300-II and the Sony MDR-EX082.

I find the sound of N3 clearer and brighter, with more highs than TD100 (which I have to say have not been properly broken in). The downside is that sometimes I hear some sibilance, which is quite annoying. The sound of TD100 is more laid back, with too much bass (IMHO) and less highs, so there's no sibilance.

At the moment, and given a good source, I prefer the N3.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #447 of 506

Quote:
Guys, with the SONY Hybrids I have TWICE the MIDS provided with the Sennheiser double flange. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! I also have more bass, but the most impressive change are the mids. Now with the senns something is missing (mids). Sound is so poor...! What a difference! Forget burn-in, forget sennheiser tips. Get Sony Hybrids and thank me later.

oh! where can i get Sony Hybrid tips from?? 

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #448 of 506
After i gave away my TM1s and TD100s to my brother and sister respectively, i tried the TM1s again. They should have about 100 hours on them already.

And im not sure if something went wrong but they sounded AWFUL. The bass has calmed down quite a bit, though still super boomy and extends very low. But the overall sound is still not very good. So my verdict on the TM1s are still the same as my previous impressions.

Stay away. Get the TD100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back