Playaz N1
Sep 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #481 of 506
First post from a long-time lurker
ph34r.gif
Just wanted to give a shout-out to Thomas for extremely fast service and shipping!  He got my TD100's (15e on the sale last week with 8e shipping) from Germany to Canada (Kanata for any fellow canucks struggling with the country list on the playaz site) in 3 business days!  Customs must've let them slip through without any questions...

After a little burn-in they sound fantastic!  IMO they definetely redefine the law of diminishing returns unlike anything I've heard, besides perhaps some unmentionable clones of the Sennheiser variety (that are unfairly good for their rock-bottom stolen engineering price).  I wish I still had my Eterna rev.1's to compare them with, they were my primaries for about 8 months until recently and although the Eterna's signature was significantly different from memory (less forward, more coloured and less separation between ranges), I think the TD100's compare relatively well and I enjoy the added clarity, bass control (slightly less quantity, but still a ton), forward presentation and brightness.  Imaging is good within the limited soundstage.  Overall very good for my standard listening (rock, folk, hip-hop, electronic and everything inbetween).

The comfort and isolation were very good after I ditched the stock tips for my go-to clear biflanges from my RE2's.  As for build quality, overall it's pretty average with good looking housings that feel decent but certainly not unbreakable.  sushibowl mentioned the new Meelec M9's have a much better build quality - I can say that I have the original M9P's and they are a step below the TD100's in every aspect, so I guess the evolution of $20-30 IEM builds is progressing as fast as the sound quality
bigsmile_face.gif
.  The cable is average with a very stiff relief (slightly worrisome) and minor microphonics, which unfortunately can't be corrected by wearing the cable over the ears due to its J-cord design.  I haven't really detected much driver flex unless I'm really twisting them into my ears.  Overall, I can't complain about the build considering the price.

The J-cord is the biggest potential dealbreaker for me, as I find it just makes things awkward.  If the TD100 II does indeed have a Y-cord (any confirmation?) that makes it worth a bit more, even if everything else is the same.  For the 20e it's going for on the website right now I think I might just have to find out for myself, can't hurt to have a backup right? 
etysmile.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #482 of 506
Oh my, just got my TD100 in the post from Thomas after reading Joker's helpful IEM comparison and stumbling onto this thread - got me some Hybrids too which conveniently came at the same time - Very very fast shipping and I am just in awe with the price I paid (19 pounds delivered) and the quality. I was coming from a borked pair of Marshmallows so you can imagine the upgrade. Out of the box, the clarity compared is just astounding, also the way the bass is plentiful and in charge, especially the sub bass, but still seperated from the rest of the spectrum. Listening to Dubstep and IDM on these is what I truly call an eargasm. I listen to a metric ton of Post-rock too so ear piercing highs are a definite no-no, and there are none. I cannot wait to see what these babies are like after some considerable burn in! The cable doesn't really bother me, and my only annoyance is the driver flex which has been mentioned many times, but one you have them in it's a non-issue.
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #483 of 506
They are indeed incredibly good for the price. But Playaz N3 treble and instrument separation are way better  - with the Sony Hybrids (competing with Sennheiser IE8). Everything sounds so much natural and you can hear sounds and recognize instruments you just can't with the TD100. By the other side, TD100's bass is better (especially sub-bass). BTW, where can one get the N3 now?

This is how I rate them after 800+ hours of burn-in:

Xears TD100

Treble - Medium
Mids - Good
Bass - Good
Clarity - Medium
Instrument Separation - Medium
Soundstage - Good

Playaz N3

Treble - Good
Mids - Good
Bass - Good
Clarity - Good
Instrument Separation - Good
Soundstage - Good

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #484 of 506
Imho they are sold out forever now.

Are you interested in buying some? I still have one pair here and I am not using them any more. If so just drop me a PM.

I am listening to the AR100 right now with the filters on the nozzle removed.
Their little bit muffled sounding is completely gone and the sound is really dynamic now. Very very clear, still plenty of bass, still no emphasis on the highs like the N3s, but very nice overall. I guess this is because there is nothing between the drivers and the ear now - not even a meshed grill.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #485 of 506
Hi, 321321. No, actually I'm not interested in buying some. It's just a shame, because they're the best from Playaz IMHO and would be a great buy for so much people around the world. At the moment I'm upgrading to the Panasonic HJE900, but pretty sure that the N3 won't be much inferior, since I've compared them to the Sennheiser IE8 and they are pretty much the same thing (sound quality wise, of course).

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #486 of 506
I have to agree, that the N3 sound better than the TD100s.

The TD100 do sound good - no question, but I always had the feeling like they sounded well in every aspect but not "special" in any. They do everything right, but the TD100 just did not appeal - at least to my ears.

Btw. someone else sent me a PM who is interested in the N3s.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #487 of 506
Been listening for many hours since my last post, and I have noticed my TD100's have opened up a ton already, even better clarity. I am enjoying them even more than before, can't keep them out of my ears. Still not over the price I paid, either.

That's a real shame Thomas has taken N3 off the market, I would have been extremely interested in hearing them because better treble does appeal, however, the ear tickling strong sub-bass on the 100's is bliss to me since I tend to listen to a lot of music with a hearty low end, so would be interesting to see if I missed it enough to prefer them to the superior clarity, seperation and treble of the N3.
redface.gif
Hmm!

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #488 of 506
Anybody tried the latest Xears yet?

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #489 of 506
I used to have a pair of Playaz N3, but they stopped working soon after I received them, however I always liked the sound.

What other IEMs (any brand) sound the most similar to the Playaz N3?

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #491 of 506
Quote:
I used to have a pair of Playaz N3, but they stopped working soon after I received them, however I always liked the sound.

What other IEMs (any brand) sound the most similar to the Playaz N3?

I have a working pair of N3s here that don't get much play time lately. PM me your address and I'll send them to you for free.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #492 of 506
I'm also thinking about getting the Fischer Audio Silver Bullets, and I was wondering how its sound compares to the Playaz N3.  For anyone that has heard the Playaz N3 and the FA Silver Bullets, how do their sounds compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back