Pittsburgh Head-fi and Audiophile meet - August 4th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #33 of 35
Man I am really enjoying it so far.. really glad @zach915m sent it. Haven't had much head time with the Atticus, but this seems like a perfect pairing with it. The amp really lets it punch when it calls for it. makes for a very engaging listen. My neck is getting tired of head bobbing lol.

This is the sign of good gear...I am a head bobber too!

I wish I could make this, would be great to meet the head-fiers.

I must admit though, I hate lugging gear around.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #34 of 35
Transporting gear is always fun. Forgot to update but, I will be trying my hardest to bring a warmed up Schiit Yggdrasil, thanks to OP. This will be the first time for me so should be interesting.

Model is a gen 3 usb and analog 1, and I use the optical input.

Driving in from Northern Ohio so I hope the journey is successful!

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #35 of 35
So I've had a bit of time with the new @Audeze LCD-24 and it's time to share some impressions. Take this with a slight grain of salt because this is the first time I've had a full desktop rig in my home for a few days and boy oh boy, I get why people go for this. I'm running them through a Questyle CMA600i.

B2B Comparison with Utopia
Utopia & LCD4 seem to have similar resolve.

Utopia: On first listen, the Utopia sounded more "open." They do have some incredibly cool detail things that they do with treble that I quite enjoy. It brings an almost "physical" quality to cymbals and the like. Very very fast. Mid/treble Emphasized with some very very nice bass.

LCD-24: Smooth and warm. These have a much more crisp Treble response than I've heard on the LCD2. It's been a LONG time since I've heard the X but remember that it seemed to have some nice treble as well. Where these really pulled ahead for me was in Norah Jones. I hate that Jazz was my "a-ha" moment. The thing is, I could hear the full picture of the band. Every single instrument was so crisply rendered in a full scene. Swtiching back to the utopia... it was like it was presenting a smaller picture of the scene with perhaps too much emphasis on vocals and putting the piano/guitar/drum/bass too far into the background.

The LCD-24 is a new design that uses the diaphragm of the 4 with the magnet structure of the 2. Others who heard it seemed to be quite happy with their natural tuning as well. I even heard I comment that I should recommend that Audeze "don't touch that tuning." The extra treble/mid detail are fantastic.

But man oh man. I hooked them up to REVEAL DSP at home.

BEJESUS GOD ALMIGHTY

I've been starting to believe over the last year that well implemented DSP is secret sauce on a sound system. Completely confirmed. While they don't have a specific tuning for these yet, the LCD4 tuning was just god-like on these things. They all of a sudden took on a speaker-like quality that I just can't get enough of and suddenly find myself wondering how I'm going to spend a tremendous amount of money on headphones.

IMHO, these leap over the Utopia and take performance to the next level with DSP. The bass is SO IMPACTFUL. It's like a subwoofer. But so CLEAN. And of course, the additional seperation and imaging on the rest of the spectrum. Voices drip with soulful energy. Cymbals ring with the details along the lines of the utopia. Just absolutely gobsmacking special sauce your DSP guys are cooking up in the kitchen... kudos @KMann ?

Kudos Audeze. You're on fire.

-A Fanboy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back