Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jan 30, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #496 of 2,189
Just joined the club and one of the reasons why I bought them was that quite a few people described the SEM1 like a HD800 but with more bass.

I've only listened to them once so far but to my first impression is that this description fits the K812 much better. I haven't compared Tyll's measurements but I know he didn't like the K812 either so my first impression could make some kind of sense.

That said, I actually liked what I heard from the SEM1 but it could of course also just be an effect of the "new toy syndrome" so I'll give them a couple of weeks...

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #498 of 2,189
tyll won't be reviewing it which is a bit disappointing. i was looking forward to his impressions.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #499 of 2,189
tyll won't be reviewing it which is a bit disappointing. i was looking forward to his impressions.

Tyll won't be reviewing it because he has nothing nice to say. Its the same case as the K812. He doesn't like making negative reviews.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #501 of 2,189
Got to answer my own question with Pioneer reps. Third party cables will not have to locking notch with the mmcx connectors but should still be fine without it

I'd been looking around for aftermarket Pioneer style, locking MMCX connectors, but I've come up with nothing. I'm happy to hear there's a more official stance on it, but it's bad news.

I don't really understand how they could say what aftermarket companies would be willing to make though. That's kind of odd, it's not like they'd be able to patent that, and even if they did it wouldn't stop anyone in China :p  It's to small time to bother going after anyone. 

One of the downsides to the extreme limited availability of these is the lack of aftermarket support. There's probably just not going to be demand for that kind of stuff. I'm sure as hell looking though, I want to get on my own cables ASAP.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #502 of 2,189
I have heard the Pioneer Master 1 today, paired with the Tera player.
One word to describe the sound: amazing.
Best then any closed or open planar magnetic i have ever heard.

@Musicday, you made my day, I honestly don't understand what people wanna listen to, measurements or not, hd800 is on the boring side for me best used for classical/acoustic recording sessions, but really not fun at home until you get Senns amp in balanced mode perhaps. All the Planars I've heard have either veil and takes a lot to get it singing plus I just don't want them on my head, Audezes.
Hifiman I like sometimes, but there was a time I sponsored Fang enough and I don't think his quality has improved all that much.
So,with all the respect due to all here favoring the usual cans and waiting Tylls measurements, my joy when I heard the Master1 was pretty real and it won't be spoilt:wink::beers:

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #503 of 2,189
good for you. i would like to hear this can for myself but as that is unlikely, i was looking forward to tyll's impressions along with his measurements. neither is a substitute for first hand experience tho and i wouldn't judge any can without trying it.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #504 of 2,189
  I'd been looking around for aftermarket Pioneer style, locking MMCX connectors, but I've come up with nothing. I'm happy to hear there's a more official stance on it, but it's bad news.

I don't really understand how they could say what aftermarket companies would be willing to make though. That's kind of odd, it's not like they'd be able to patent that, and even if they did it wouldn't stop anyone in China :p  It's to small time to bother going after anyone. 

One of the downsides to the extreme limited availability of these is the lack of aftermarket support. There's probably just not going to be demand for that kind of stuff. I'm sure as hell looking though, I want to get on my own cables ASAP.

I use Whiplash cables for mine and they work just as good, the connector, as stock. Whiplash did say it took a bit of work to get a good connector and fit but they have achieved it and with the modular system that Whiplash now has, the changing of cables is so easy I can't believe no one else ever came up with this. One Y and the rest of the cable has to bought just once. And they do improve with the Twau cable with a better frequency "sound". A little more depth and a very good open sound that exceeds the stock cable, which is also better than most. 

edit: as an addition, I would say that it took 800 hours for these to break in for me. I continued to compare to other headphones, to do the comparison but would say that unless you let really run in, they in no way achieve what they are capable of. I thought I had made a mistake for some time but now, I find them excellent but wow, did it take time. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #505 of 2,189
Yeah if you are prepared to throw money at it then a boutique cable manufacturer will probably sort you out. I think one of them even has a 3D printer for connectors or might have imagined that
good for you. i would like to hear this can for myself but as that is unlikely, i was looking forward to tyll's impressions along with his measurements. neither is a substitute for first hand experience tho and i wouldn't judge any can without trying it.

You will be waiting a long time as Tyll does not like the sound so will not be doing a review per his longstanding policy

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #506 of 2,189

Kimber Axios for SE-Master1 will be released soon. Price will be quite high.

http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-axios-headphone-cables/

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #507 of 2,189
You will be waiting a long time as Tyll does not like the sound so will not be doing a review per his longstanding policy

yes i know that and i respect his position. he didn't review the th900 either when he had the opportunity presumably for a similar reason.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #508 of 2,189
I use Whiplash cables for mine and they work just as good, the connector, as stock. Whiplash did say it took a bit of work to get a good connector and fit but they have achieved it and with the modular system that Whiplash now has, the changing of cables is so easy I can't believe no one else ever came up with this. One Y and the rest of the cable has to bought just once. And they do improve with the Twau cable with a better frequency "sound". A little more depth and a very good open sound that exceeds the stock cable, which is also better than most. 

edit: as an addition, I would say that it took 800 hours for these to break in for me. I continued to compare to other headphones, to do the comparison but would say that unless you let really run in, they in no way achieve what they are capable of. I thought I had made a mistake for some time but now, I find them excellent but wow, did it take time. 

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out Whiplash's site again today and saw the TWau cables. I checked out the MMCX connector one, but it's only got angled IEM style connectors, not straight ones like we'd need for the SEM1. I'm guessing yours are straight? Did you have to order it specially? Can you post a picture of it or of them together?

And thanks for the info about burn in. 800 hours is a seriously long time, I usually burn in all my gear for ~400 hours upon arrival. I'll do an initial listen, but they I throw any of it into a secondary system that can play 24/7 for a few weeks. Guess I'll have to put the SEM1 in for a month. I was reading a few pages back that this mightbe due to some kind of damping material that needs to get worked in?

Kimber Axios for SE-Master1 will be released soon. Price will be quite high.

http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-axios-headphone-cables/

I checked out the Axios page, but didn't see an option for the SEM1 or just with MMCX connectors. But damn, 500-600 GBP for these, that is seriously expensive. Way out of my league. I couldn't find any info on them, like the ideology behind the build, like you find anywhere else. I read up on the TWau on Whiplash and I don't know how material wise you can go beyond that, and that's $560/cable, about 30-40% cheaper than the Kimber Axios. Fill me in on it, I'm always happy to learn something new in the world of custom cables. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #509 of 2,189
the fr doesn't support the claim made earlier in the thread that the bass extends further than the th900 (which i was sceptical of i must admit). it does show a mid-bass hump tho.

Perhaps the high THD is causing this perceived increased bass.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #510 of 2,189
yes i know that and i respect his position. he didn't review the th900 either when he had the opportunity presumably for a similar reason.

I find it weird he never reviewed the TH900 - didn't he previously have the Denon (Fostex made) D7000 on his wall of fame? Most owners of both headphones have said the TH900 is superior to the D7000 in every way. Shame he only does positive reviews - I guess his sight is becoming a bit like 6 moons which has never reviewed any poor Hifi gear ever. Lacking some objectiveness with that approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back