Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Oct 18, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,176 of 2,188
@ jamato8: Full agreement.

Onkyo Corporation - including the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite and Integra brands - filed for bankruptcy at the Osaka District Court in Japan in mid-May 2022. The headphone division had already been sold to an investment fund in September 2021. The Pioneer SE Master1 thus disappeared completely from the focus of interest as a "legacy product". The spare parts/stock had already been massively reduced before due to the disastrous financial situation.

Originally, the Pioneer SE Master1s were supposed to be equipped with other ear pads for example (according to a former project participant). This was discarded - due to cost pressure; the disintegrating plastic headband is also due to this circumstance alone. The margin had to be optimized at that time, at any price. Later, attempts were made to save what could no longer be saved with cheap plastic shells in a wooden look.

We can do it right. With the appropriate accessories. Thus, in my opinion, the headphones are still among the top 10 today.
Thank you for the update. I didn't know Pioneer was gone.

Yes, with the right ear pads, they are in the top performers. Amazing that they went with the pads they did, instead of some perforated ones. I use some from iBasso and they are excellent in fit and the sound jumped to where it should be.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2,179 of 2,188
I am interested to buy a pair.
I have thought about selling mine but with the different pads, they are excellent sounding so if you get a pair, be sure and try something other than stock pads. They open up, the bass becomes solid and defined and they are what they should have been to begin with.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #2,180 of 2,188
Thank you for the update. I didn't know Pioneer was gone.

Yes, with the right ear pads, they are in the top performers. Amazing that they went with the pads they did, instead of some perforated ones. I use some from iBasso and they are excellent in fit and the sound jumped to where it should be.
Hello, can You tell me what exactly Ibasso earpads do You use with Pioneer SE Master 1 (or send me a link). Thank you in advance:)

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2,184 of 2,188
I sold my master 1 last year, after them I bought a Fostex TH900Mk2 PW, and I don’t regret it at all. They are better than Pioneer at all frequencies. The sound is not compressed, despite the fact that they are closed. Love them))
I would like to hear about both.
So this one being closed back has a wider soundstage the the master 1 you say?

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #2,185 of 2,188
Only better if the pads on the Pioneer had the original pads on them. With lightly perforated, fenestrated pads they totally change and become what they should have been to begin with. I wouldn't buy them again as Pioneer does not support them and doesn't even replay to emails about the headphones.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #2,186 of 2,188
Yes, the sound stage on the TH900mk2 is more airy and spacious. What I didn’t like about master1 was that, for example, when the piano sounded, there was a strong hum, blocking part of the middle range. This never happens on Fostex. In general, when you put on the TH900mk2 after Master 1, it feels like you’ve stepped out into the fresh air))

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #2,187 of 2,188
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #2,188 of 2,188
Hello everyone! I have a question: has anyone repaired/replaced the mmcx plug on the Pioneer Master1? In my unit, the sound started to disappear at times in one earcup, but as we know, these plugs are very delicate and You don't need much to get them moving... If someone has disassembled these headphones, are these plugs non-standard, or will it be a problem to get identical ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back