Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #526 of 2,189
  I'm interested in these headphones, but not the price -- which seems way too high for a dynamic. Also consider the HD800 can be had used for well under $1,000 (not that I'm particularity interested in those either). But does the Master-1 really out-perform the TH900 in terms of bass performance? Does it really out-perform the TH900's 1.5 Telsa backed cellulose drivers? I frankly have a hard time believing that.

Don't get hung up on 1,5T... interesting technical fact, nothing more.
To me the bass is a bit less on the Master-1 -- which is good for me, since I don't use my TH900 anymore, just keeping it around for its beautiful cups.

I think the sound signatures of the Master-1 and the HD800 are rather fare apart, making for a 'love one, hate the other' situation in most cases (I do like the HD800S though). Comparing prices is always complicated... if one considers the Master-1 better... is it 2x better than the HD800 (€2500 vs. €1300)? Certainly not. Still I tend to grab the Master-1 when in doubt.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #527 of 2,189
I received my Pioneer SEM1's earlier this week, and after a few days of listening from my Questyle CMA800i my brief listening impressions are that these cans sound amazingly full bodied, smooth, and display a very rich tonal balance with certain recordings (best audiophile vocals series, demo discs, etc.).  The level of transparency, realism, and "singer in the room" feel in my opinion also greatly exceeds that of the Sennheiser HD800S I have here, and is roughly similar to that of my speaker setup (Marten Duke + ARC VSI 75), but without a better source and amp it is difficult to say how much better these cans can be... they are also much easier to drive than the HD800S.  Listening to EDM, bass clearly has more impact and overall excitement, while retaining similar levels of detail and tone.  I find the tonal balance in the bass region to be perfect and not overly done whatsoever, even if not measuring flat.  I knew from first listen though, that this is exactly the "type" of sound I am looking for, which is a replacement for my loudspeaker setup.  Comfort, build quality, soundstage, etc. echo what others have already posted here.  If you are used to what is IMO, the leaner presentation of electrostats, HD800S, loudspeakers without baffle step compensation, switching amplifiers, etc., you would probably find the SEM1's to be a bit heavy or ripe in the lower midrange (not muddy however), but for those used to the sound of SET amplification, I think you will feel right at home with the SEM1's out of the box tonal balance.  Interestingly, I also once owned the Pioneer S-1EX loudspeakers, which are essentially mini versions of the TAD Evolutions, and the tonal balance, presentation, and overall sound is also very very similar to the SEM1's in many ways.

I will say that I am not a fan of soft diaphragm materials, and the plastics/mylar/paper/silk diaphragms found in many loudspeaker/headphone drivers have never provided for me that sense of realism and the full tonal palette that I hear with well executed stiff diaphragm materials. Typically, if a stiff diaphragm doesn't sound good (harsh, colored, zingy), it's not because it's stiff, but rather, because it's NOT stiff enough and the breakup modes are not pushed high enough in frequency to be inaudible.  Unfortunately, such is the case here with the Pioneers... and for the $2,500+ these are selling for I am hugely disappointed that they did not choose to use a beryllium or pure ceramic diaphragm, but rather a cheap anodized aluminum diaphragm that can be found on any $100 tweeter.  On less than ideal recordings or hot recordings that are too close mic'd or sibilant, there is a clearly audible sense of harshness/ringing in the upper frequencies that can be quite painful to listen to.  Fortunately, I did not detect any overt coloration of the sound overall, that is, no metallic, cold, sterile, etc. sound typical of cheap stiff cone drivers from the past... Pioneer at least did an excellent job of dampening resonances throughout most of the audible frequency range.  However, I will say that this is not an uncommon problem with loudspeaker design and typically passive circuits are designed to filter any audible diaphragm breakup or frequency response deviations.  While a passive solution is not practical for headphones, using an active circuit should be quite simple to implement.  I'll need some time to measure the SEM1's and play with different filters, but I'm confident based on past experience with loudspeakers, that the breakup on these cans can be effectively dealt with something as simple as an ASIO plugin to Foobar.        

I will post more as these break-in and I get more time with them.  

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #528 of 2,189
It's now possible to order Kimber Axios for SE-Master1. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #529 of 2,189
Though not in my full system, I did get some time in on the SEM1 with my LH Labs Pulse X Infinity powered with an LH Labs LPS4 and fed by an UpTone Audio Amber Regen last night.

The results were much better than with the Geekout 1000. The instrument separation and detailing is the best I have ever heard. I guess this is why listening to instrumentals in the beginning was so nice. I'm sure the better DAC and amp sections are helping with detail extraction and presentation, but the ability of these headphones to render all of that is seriously impressive.

The issues I previously mentioned with strange vocals is also gone now. It must have been the hum coming from the GO1000 that was messing that up. Vocals are quite nice now and meah well with the tracks.

The bass is still quite nice in them, though I've got to do some A/B'ing to see how it compares to my JVC DX1000. For now I'd say it's very nice and tangible, but may not reach as low. I was watching Tyll's new video on the HD800 vs. the HD800S and how the 800S has a bump in second order harmonics, which improves bass perception. That may be what's going on with the SEM1. No idea though. Verdict is still FAR out on these across the board.

Secondly, I let a musician friend of my listen to the SEM1 for a couple hours with both mine and his own music. He also said that their ability to render instruments is as close he's ever heard to the real thing.

I need to get my first system back together and then get these on a balanced cable before I can start making any real calls. I'm going to buy a 4pin Neutrik connector and mod the included single ended cable so that I can at least start listening to them balanced from the X Infinity for now. That amp is less than stellar though.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #530 of 2,189
I've had them burning in now for about 75hrs and had some time to check in. 

Updates:

Bass- seems a bit fuller, is still really tangible. As the bass hits and pops you can feel the rumble of it. Not the last word in bass depth or impact so far. In saying that, a few bass lines dropped while typing this and damn does it ever have a nice feel to it.

Soundstage- Expanded, music more realistic feeling. It's not endlessly expansive like the HD800 or cavernous like the DX1000, but it's really "appropriate" feeling. I'm pretty happy with it.

Vocals- Nicer sounding again. Seems whatever I was taking away from these in the beginning with vocals was off. This was one thing I didn't like about the LCD-2.2s, I found the vocals slightly washed out or had to feel. These vocals are great feeling and genuine. Male and female both sound good.

Overall:

Really coherent sounding and I'm a fan. I'm still looking forward to getting my DX1000s back in action and establishing a base line. Not that they're the be all end all, just a big fan of them. Euphoric all the way, screw neutrality. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #531 of 2,189
I've now got nearly 200hrs of burn in on them. I also found some Pink, Brownian, and White noise FLACs that I've been using for the past 5 hours. I'll keep those tracks running on repeat for the next 200 hours. My own mantra is to run in all my gear for 400-500hrs to take care of any potential burn in, and to stress test them and hopefully uncover any warranty issues early on.

I will say, compared to what I'd found until now, the Pink/Brownian/White noise FLACs, or the past 75 hours of running them in, have resulted in some changes. 

Updates.

Soundstage: The soundstage seems to have expand slightly and notes hang more nicely. It gives the headphones a very fast and airy feeling, when called for. There's definitely no congestion across the board. It's a really refreshing feeling, it's like hearing exactly what the music is. 

Bass: Very well detailed and now seems to have additional lower impact. It's still not on par with my DX1000s for bass impact and depth, but a welcome addition. I'll have to see if more time with the noise trio affects this.

Vocals: Male or female, they sound very believable. More so than on the other headphones I've litened to in hte past which sounded nice, but sounded like I was listening to recorded music vs. the real thing. 

Overall:
Some parts of the music are so believable that for the past day I've found myself looking around the house and living room to find "where" that sound "over there" is coming from. It's a combination of the airy, out there feeling, the realness of the presentation, and their ability to reproduce details I'd never noticed were in the songs on the playlist. 

What I'm looking forward to is running them balanced and on my bassy, punchy PS-Audio PWD MkII DAC. Maybe that will help fill in the bottom end.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #532 of 2,189
Quick update:  After a month of on and off listening, the most noticeable difference to me is that the top end has smoothed out considerably.  While it can still sound a tiny bit hard, I prefer it to the more whitish/splashier treble of the HD800S, and it's no longer painful or offensive to my ears as it was when fresh out of the box.  I also upgraded my amplifier in the meantime from the solid state CMA800i, to a tube based Allnic HPA-3000 (which is perhaps, largely responsible for the difference in the top end).  The Allnic is a serious piece of kit, easily besting the CMA800i in all ways and providing a massive boost to speed, dynamics, soundstage, clarity, and realism... which makes me wonder where the limits of the SEM1's are.  To that end, I'm attempting to locate an Allnic HPA-5000, which I hear is an end game headphone amp to own for low impedance cans.  

I also had a chance to do a serious comparison to my home setup, and I'd have to say that the SEM1's don't quite approach the realism and clarity of a top of the line dynamic speaker such as Vivid Audio, Tidal, TAD, etc. Compared to my Marten Dukes which utilize all Accuton based ceramic drivers, the Dukes are just a little more open sounding, with noticeably more top end air and overall refinement.  I think the SEM1's are more comparable to something like the Evolution Acoustics MMMicroones... that is, 80% of the realism/clarity, but overall slightly darker and smoother sounding/forgiving of bad recordings, with huge potential when paired with a good front end.  I think ultimately, that is the biggest strength I've seen with the SEM1's, which is the ability to keep showing marked improvements as you upgrade your dac/amp/source to a degree I haven't seen with other headphones which seem to reach their performance limits much faster.  

I'd also like to echo Benny-X's impressions above, that this headphone has some of the best layering and separation that I've heard from any speaker or headphone setup (when paired with my HPA-3000), which is something I don't usually care for or listen for, but it just stands out so much on these headphones it's hard not to notice.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #533 of 2,189
It seems then that the next model:

SE-MHR5

Dynamic Stereo Headphones

1. Large, 40mm driver
  2. wide range 7Hz-50,000Hz frequency response
  3. Dual folding design
  4. 2.5mm/4-pole balance cable included for greater separation between the left and right channels.

​Should be a starter too for less money down...has anyone tried or written about these...must check check...

May 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #534 of 2,189
 Pioneer SE-Master1 closed headphone version from the Tokyo show. (Credit Anakchan)

900x900px-LL-3e07c945_IMG_0045.jpeg

May 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #536 of 2,189
   Pioneer SE-Master1 closed headphone version from the Tokyo show. (Credit Anakchan)

900x900px-LL-3e07c945_IMG_0045.jpeg

After so much research went into the M1, and seeing this one released so soon after, I hope they didn't just put cups on the M1 and called it a day.
Anyone had a listen or has more info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back