Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Dec 26, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #436 of 2,189
The SE Master-1 is a cross between the TH-900 and HD800 in sound signature, except worse than either in their respective strengths and possessing the driest, most uninvolving mid-range I've heard in a flagship. Yggdrasil/Ragnarok used.

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #437 of 2,189
  The SE Master-1 is a cross between the TH-900 and HD800 in sound signature, except worse than either in their respective strengths and possessing the driest, most uninvolving mid-range I've heard in a flagship. Yggdrasil/Ragnarok used.

popcorn.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #438 of 2,189

Up to the first comma I'd agree :wink:
Never heard the Schiit stuff, so I can't factor that in.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #439 of 2,189

It's a shame really. Clearly they lost most of their good engineers in the last 40 years and simply couldn't get good replacements.

I'm using a Pioneer Monitor 10-II from 1982 at the moment and while it took a different pair of pads and a new cable to sound right, it already trumps the TH900 in everything but ultimate upper midrange smoothness. By far my favorite closed headphone.

If they could get their old engineers back I'd love to hear what they could do with modern technology.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #440 of 2,189

Schiit in **** out.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #443 of 2,189

Schiit in **** out.
How quaintly ignorant.

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #444 of 2,189
But it's true. I've owned a Schiit headamp for a couple of months.
SE-Master1 need a much better amp than Pioneer's own U-05. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #445 of 2,189
Me too now, a lot a negativity about these

I see this claim repeated over and over here, but that does not make it true. I agree that a few Pepe here seem to feel strongly about them, but just read how many seem to hate the HD800, which is widely regarded as one of the best headphones ever built. Which I happened to not like much btw.

I don't see Schiit as bad, but the only one of their amps I've heard so far sounded too harsh to me. I can imagine that it pairs well with headphones that miss some treble for my taste. If their other amps are like that one I can imagine that a Master-1 would not be an optimal combination. What is out of question is that they (Schiit) have fun building things. That they bring a good attitude into this business. That they strive to build interesting things on a budget. They add value to our hobby.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #446 of 2,189
I see this claim repeated over and over here, but that does not make it true. I agree that a few Pepe here seem to feel strongly about them, but just read how many seem to hate the HD800, which is widely regarded as one of the best headphones ever built. Which I happened to not like much btw.

I don't see Schiit as bad, but the only one of their amps I've heard so far sounded too harsh to me. I can imagine that it pairs well with headphones that miss some treble for my taste. If their other amps are like that one I can imagine that a Master-1 would not be an optimal combination. What is out of question is that they (Schiit) have fun building things. That they bring a good attitude into this business. That they strive to build interesting things on a budget. They add value to our hobby.

A valued point Plakat,
Also, I've had mine playing in constantly for over 300 hours, they still don't sound airy enough, I'll give them 200 more before I judge, assuming whoever just heard them, with whatever set-up should also reserve judgement. Hd800 only sounds amazing under some very specific setups and I stll have no fun with them, respect, prob yes, fun not so much..

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #447 of 2,189
A valued point Plakat,
Also, I've had mine playing in constantly for over 300 hours, they still don't sound airy enough, I'll give them 200 more before I judge, assuming whoever just heard them, with whatever set-up should also reserve judgement. Hd800 only sounds amazing under some very specific setups and I stll have no fun with them, respect, prob yes, fun not so much..

That was my stance on the HD800 as well. Changed with the HD800S, that I like quite a bit.

Regarding the Master-1: I think in one of my first posts in this thread I, too, said I'd like a bit more treble/air. I think I got used to that -- which is always an important factor. It really grew on me, now I use it as my main headphone for quite some time and switch back from others I take out quite fast. There's something about the Master-1 that just fits for me.

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #448 of 2,189
  But it's true. I've owned a Schiit headamp for a couple of months.

Which one, and which version? 

Not exactly fair to compair an Asgard v1 to Ragnarok, for example. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #449 of 2,189
That was my stance on the HD800 as well. Changed with the HD800S, that I like quite a bit.

Regarding the Master-1: I think in one of my first posts in this thread I, too, said I'd like a bit more treble/air. I think I got used to that -- which is always an important factor. It really grew on me, now I use it as my main headphone for quite some time and switch back from others I take out quite fast. There's something about the Master-1 that just fits for me.

glad that the hd800s is working for you. any comparisons of the se-master 1 and the hd800s would be welcome. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back