Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jan 1, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #451 of 2,189
glad that the hd800s is working for you. any comparisons of the se-master 1 and the hd800s would be welcome.
wink.gif

Sorry, I'm on holiday at the moment. I do have both with me but so far did not have the time to unpack everything and listen...

At home I did compare them a bit (both on the HDVD800, HD800S balanced, Master-1 unbalanced) and found them interestingly similar... The Master-1 has definitely more bass (more impact) and an overall almost perfect level for my taste, but the HD800S goes just as deep and is very controlled, just not as prominent. The HD800S is a bit more airy and offers a wider soundstage and I think it has more treble extension. Voices sound very realistic to me on both of them, the HD800S is far more engaging to me than the original HD800 ever was. Quite happy so far. I'd still give the Master-1 the edge as I find it even more alive, but a bit less correct (for lack of a better word...)

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #452 of 2,189
no worries. looks like the hd800s is worthy of comparison to the master-1 from your early impressions.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #453 of 2,189
That would make the HD800S a serious bargain.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #455 of 2,189
i have no shortage of bass with the th900. :wink: however, i'm looking for an open-backed high-end can with a balanced sound signature. having auditioned the hd800 a number of times and compared it to other flagships that cost considerably more, i'm looking forward to hearing what the hd800s iteration has to offer.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #456 of 2,189
Next month, we having a meet up in Taipei. Friend has the master1 with balancing act and msb iv stack. I'll get to try it again in a non meet environment. I'll also be bring my chord Dave for them to try.

I remember my friend saying the pioneer sounds much better with a cable swap. He doesn't like the oem one.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #458 of 2,189
I believed he only had the stock cable.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #459 of 2,189
Next month, we having a meet up in Taipei. Friend has the master1 with balancing act and msb iv stack. I'll get to try it again in a non meet environment. I'll also be bring my chord Dave for them to try.

I remember my friend saying the pioneer sounds much better with a cable swap. He doesn't like the oem one.

Looking forward to your replies on this one.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #460 of 2,189
I believed he only had the stock cable.

I think the balanced is identical to the stock cable, just different connectors...
Besides that to me the stock cable (as well as the Pioneer balanced one) is perfectly fine, despite its tendency to coil up.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #461 of 2,189
So, I might have an opportunity at getting a pair of these, but I've got a little issue. I have a pair of LCD-2.2s and a pair of JVC HP-DX1000s. I also used to have a pair of Shure's, some W1000x, and have spent some good time auditioning the HE-1000s and some D600s. Overall I've found that open back planars are the sound for me. They've just got the soundstage and realness that I haven't found any dynamic headphones capable of doing. 

So, there in lies my problem. If I seem to be liking the planar sound so far and like a warmer, bassier headphone, how will the LCD-2.2 stack up against the SE Master-1s since the Pioneers are dynamics? Have any of you had both of them and can share your views? Or vs. the LCD-3s or HE-1000s?

I will say that I haven't had an open back pair of dynamic driver headphones, so I can't totally attribute the common sound/feeling I got from the LCD-2.2 and the HE-1000 to being planar or just being open back. But I find that hard to consider because out of all the headphones I've listened to the LCD-2.2s and the HE-1000s had a distinctly different sound, like a different type of response to the way it created music and not just the way the notes floated out for the soundstage. 

Please give me a hand, I don't want to miss the chance on the SE Master-1s if it'd likely suit my needs. In the end I'll still probably pick them up just to get a listen, but I'll still greatly appreciate anyone's help. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #462 of 2,189
So, I might have an opportunity at getting a pair of these, but I've got a little issue. I have a pair of LCD-2.2s and a pair of JVC HP-DX1000s. I also used to have a pair of Shure's, some W1000x, and have spent some good time auditioning the HE-1000s and some D600s. Overall I've found that open back planars are the sound for me. They've just got the soundstage and realness that I haven't found any dynamic headphones capable of doing. 

So, there in lies my problem. If I seem to be liking the planar sound so far and like a warmer, bassier headphone, how will the LCD-2.2 stack up against the SE Master-1s since the Pioneers are dynamics? Have any of you had both of them and can share your views? Or vs. the LCD-3s or HE-1000s?

I will say that I haven't had an open back pair of dynamic driver headphones, so I can't totally attribute the common sound/feeling I got from the LCD-2.2 and the HE-1000 to being planar or just being open back. But I find that hard to consider because out of all the headphones I've listened to the LCD-2.2s and the HE-1000s had a distinctly different sound, like a different type of response to the way it created music and not just the way the notes floated out for the soundstage. 

Please give me a hand, I don't want to miss the chance on the SE Master-1s if it'd likely suit my needs. In the end I'll still probably pick them up just to get a listen, but I'll still greatly appreciate anyone's help. 

:wink: First world problems.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #463 of 2,189
wink.gif
First world problems.

I know, it's terrible right? 

Let me attempt to rephrase it:
"Here's my problem, I've got one $1000 pair of planar headphones and another $800 pair of dynamic headphones. I have a chance to through down for a pair of $2700 headphones and I need some help with comparing the likely sound of them vs. my other stupid expensive, but still cheaper than the SE Master-1, headphones. Help".

Haha.

But seriously, someone give me tip on how they'll compare because I won't be anywhere near a place to try out the SE Master-1's before being able to buy the other pair. Help.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #464 of 2,189

So, anyone had a chance to have a listen and compare? 

Pioneer SE Master-1 vs. any other highend headphone? LCD-3, LCD-X, HEX, HEK, HE-6, HD800, HD800S ?

And if possible, would there be anyone who actually got to spend some real time vs. 10mins at a shop? I've heard the SEM1s need +50hours to burn in and really start making some good music. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #465 of 2,189

The stock Pioneer mmcx connectors have a moulded plastic notch that slots into a gap to lock in the connector. I know standard mmcx connectors still fit fine. I guess it is there for durability / ensuring the connector stays in place. Anyone with thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back