Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #1,801 of 2,188
I think that if you deteriorate the pads you have to send the headphones to Pioneer for replacement. I don't think it's worth trying on your own!

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,802 of 2,188
Still enjoying the SEM1 4 years now! Funny how some people have ‘flown’ into this forum after listening for 20 minutes or so & quoting measurements and crap all over these headphones. Despite what others who have limited experience with them have said, these headphones DO scale with better equipment.
Still have my Utopias and really enjoy them too
Sold my Z1Rs they just didn’t sound as good as these two.
Still have my HD800 keeping them for when my Smyth Realiser arrives next year some time.
FWIW I think the Utopias & SEM1 are very complimentary sound signatures.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #1,803 of 2,188
glad that you're still enjoying them. i never did get to try them and doubt that i ever will, unfortunately. the measurements weren't encouraging but i wouldn't judge the se-m1 (or any other headphone for that matter) on the measurements alone. however, a twenty minute listen would be enough for me to know whether i wanted to spend more time with it or not. ymmv.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,805 of 2,188
Still enjoying the SEM1 4 years now! Funny how some people have ‘flown’ into this forum after listening for 20 minutes or so & quoting measurements and crap all over these headphones. Despite what others who have limited experience with them have said, these headphones DO scale with better equipment.
Still have my Utopias and really enjoy them too
Sold my Z1Rs they just didn’t sound as good as these two.
Still have my HD800 keeping them for when my Smyth Realiser arrives next year some time.
FWIW I think the Utopias & SEM1 are very complimentary sound signatures.

Still the best horse in my personal audio stable (with the Sony IER-Z1R a close second), even though I mostly listen to studio monitors at home these days, since it's just more comfortable for long sessions.
I got to experience the Smyth Realizer at an audio fair, and it's uncanny! Do try the SEM1 with it. The HD 800 has a great soundstage, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Pioneer would hold its own against it or even surpass it in that regard as well as others. And it has much more bass, so it should make you feel every explosion (I assume you're going to use the Realizer mostly for movies and/or gaming).

Agree on the MDR-Z1R; wasn't too fond of the Utopia either when I tried it, but that was just a short session a couple of years ago.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #1,806 of 2,188
Thanks Phonomat for the good points you make I will certainly try the SEM1 too with the realiser when they eventually post it to me. It will be used for movies with the wife, and I’ll try 5.1 surround sound music too as I have around 60 SACDs and many with 5.1.
I like the SEM1 & Utopias as their signatures are different so each headphone is suited to a wide range of music with the preferrence tipped either way. Utopias are more detailed not by much the SEM1 have no weaknesses IMO. Utopias soundstage is smaller, I love the bass on both headphones. Both headphones have a reality nice balance across all frequencies. I think too many people criticise SEM1 and other headphones without providing any info about amp/dac and more importantly the source used. I’ve mentioned a number of times dynamic range and the quality of the recording makes a significant contribution to the listening experience. Both of These headphones will reveal a poor record easily as they are both very resolving.
I also listen to high quality speakers more often at home ranging from Yamaha NS-2000s, Genelec 8341 monitors & Diatone DS-5000.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,807 of 2,188
I have two 8331's in my desktop setup, wouldn't miss them for the world! :beerchug:

It's like you said, I couldn't name a real weakness of this headphone with a gun put to my head. For my use case and my type of music, I think it's just as close to perfect as it gets.

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,808 of 2,188
I too still love the Master 1 and it's in the rotation................unfortunately I'm currently hooked on the HE-6E running out of speaker taps. What drove me to the Master 1 was feeling that HiFiMan was not going to support the HE-6.............and having been through a two month debacle getting a driver replaced on the HE-6 a few years ago felt it was time to try the Pioneer. The bass on the Master 1 is addictive, and to this audiophile basshead they hold a special place in my rotation (along with the HE-6SE and Denon LA7000 that I've owned for 6 years now). The Pioneer will stay as it's such a great headphone - one that never "caught on" here - if it doesn't go "viral" like the other name products no one gives them a shot.

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,810 of 2,188
Finally got to listen to the SEM1 through the balanced connector. A couple of issues I had with the stock cable was that it was way too long for my use case which is desktop. Also, as careful as I am with the cable, there were a couple of areas where the cloth wrap was separating. Luckily this happen at areas where I wanted to chop up the cable. So I had Dyson Audio modify the cable for balance use at 6 feet, then made an adapter with the original 6.5mm jack as I like the quality. And made an extension cable with the leftover. Maybe it's just louder through the balanced, but I think I am hearing more bottom end since the mod.

Attachments

• 20200608_112012.jpg
    20200608_112012.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,812 of 2,188
I am looking for an IEM that sound exactly like SM1 or better in all departments. Any suggestions?
The closest I've come personally is the Sony IER-Z1R. It has similar qualities like airiness, great resolution and separation, "holographic" soundstage and great bass. Of all the headphones or earphones I've heard, the SE-Master1 is still king for me, followed by IER-Z1R and Oriolus MK2 on second and third place respectively (the Oriolus has a very different sound signature though).

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,814 of 2,188
The closest I've come personally is the Sony IER-Z1R. It has similar qualities like airiness, great resolution and separation, "holographic" soundstage and great bass. Of all the headphones or earphones I've heard, the SE-Master1 is still king for me, followed by IER-Z1R and Oriolus MK2 on second and third place respectively (the Oriolus has a very different sound signature though).

Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back