Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Nov 19, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,771 of 2,189
It says the price is $1875 through midnight November 3, 2018.

FYI...after a few weeks off, the sale is apparently back on--but ONLY at B&H, so not sure how long it's going to last as this time it's not reflected on Pio's main site. If you were thinking of trying them out (or in my case getting a backup pair) from a returnable source, you may want to check this link out sooner than later...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ter1_se_master1_stereo_headphones.html?sts=pi

Den Sol: you ordered them last time from Best Buy--did you ever get the headphones? What do you think?

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,772 of 2,189
It says the price is $1875 through midnight November 3, 2018.

FYI...after a few weeks off, the sale is apparently back on--but ONLY at B&H, so not sure how long it's going to last as this time it's not reflected on Pio's main site. If you were thinking of trying them out (or in my case getting a backup pair) from a returnable source, you may want to check this link out sooner than later...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ter1_se_master1_stereo_headphones.html?sts=pi

Den Sol: you ordered them last time from Best Buy--did you ever get the headphones? What do you think?

There had been some hiccups with my order, but it is finally arriving today. Will provide some initial impression as soon as possible.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,774 of 2,189
It is very interesting, I bought my pair in January and it has 873 SN.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,775 of 2,189
It is very interesting, I bought my pair in January and it has 873 SN.

Hearing for a few hours now. I understand more burning-in might be needed, but so far I like what I am hearing.

My current setup up is: A&K A&Futura SE100 ==> THX AAA 789 AMP ==> Pioneer SE Master1 (used to be Sennheiser HD6XX here) single ended.

Comparing to HD6XX, I am hearing definitely more details in the music and it sounds much more engaging and musical. Happy with the speed and dynamics, bass.

Well one simple summary is the music pull you in with the SE Master 1, it is a bit hard to listen to the headphone and work without having to exert a lot of effort to focus on my work :gs1000smile:.

Running through a few of my usual test tracks and again quite happy with my purchase:

(All streaming from Tidal)
Moth - State Azure
Rude Mood - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
Dogs - Pink Floyd
Acid Rain - Lorn
Undone - Spaces
Aljamiado - Renaud Garcia-Fons
Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine
Paper Moon - Booka Shade

That's it for now.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,776 of 2,189
Hearing for a few hours now. I understand more burning-in might be needed, but so far I like what I am hearing.

Dont worry....we wouldn't lead you astray :) But these definitely require hundreds of burn in hours to really show off the ceramic-coated drivers. Not necessary on that amp for sure, but maybe on on old cellphone, plug them in on looping audio and let them burn through the weekend and try again to compare. I then think you will REALLY like what you hear.

By the way, pick up a used LG V30 phone to use away from the main system--the synergy of these cans with this particular source is fantastic.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,777 of 2,189
By the way, pick up a used LG V30 phone to use away from the main system--the synergy of these cans with this particular source is fantastic.
the v30 drives well the pioneer?i´m surprised. i have lg v30 too

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,778 of 2,189
From my experience, the burn-in process is strongly dependant on the associated electronics, therefore, if the amplifier/source struggles to force the headphones to play a very deep bass, well-extended heights and doesn't excel in uncovering the finest details, then it doesn't matter if you run them even for 1000hours, the headphones will not unleash its full musical potential. It is something to bear in mind ;'))

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,779 of 2,189
the v30 drives well the pioneer?i´m surprised. i have lg v30 too

Yeah not only does it drive them it sounds very, very good. At least for me, with the 1/4" to 1/8" inch adapter it kicks the LG v30 into the desired high impedance mode--which then has plenty of power with the Pioneer's highly efficient dynamic drivers even at just over halfway on the volume scale.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #1,780 of 2,189
Yeah not only does it drive them it sounds very, very good. At least for me, with the 1/4" to 1/8" inch adapter it kicks the LG v30 into the desired high impedance mode--which then has plenty of power with the Pioneer's highly efficient dynamic drivers even at just over halfway on the volume scale.
Thank you. I like the sound of lg v30. Lot of people write that the pioneer is a really good headphone at human price :)
From your opinion i presume that a this headphone sounds very well with a good implementation of sabre. I' m right?

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,781 of 2,189
Thank you. I like the sound of lg v30. Lot of people write that the pioneer is a really good headphone at human price :)
From your opinion i presume that a this headphone sounds very well with a good implementation of sabre. I' m right?

Yes...cause the V30 tames the slightly bright sound of the Pioneers. But they are soooo incredibly revealing with good source material...

Best Buy has matched B&H once again for $1875 for an indeterminant amount of time...so if you are a rewards member and want to give yourself an Xmas present... :)

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,782 of 2,189
Happy Holidays!

musica-natale.jpeg

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,783 of 2,189
I just received a 4xlr balanced cable for my SEM1 & Utopias from surf cables I’ll try them both out with the Sony TAZH1ES and give you guys some more impressions.

A great album to test your SEM1s with (and your nerve!) is the French collection by The Legendary Pink Dots - you need to listen without distractions and in the dark or don’t bother...

If you do you’re in for quite the experience, especially if you like Indy rock. Unfortunately the is D/R not so great. I have the albums also on limited vinyl which definitely sounds better and parts are very sinister to say the least.

Make sure you’re feeling well prior to listening & no one has spiked your drink woo ha ha ha har...

Merry Crimbo and New year all.

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,784 of 2,189
Yes agreed, pretty good price. Just pulled the trigger, arriving in 10 day :dt880smile:.

Wonder if Pioneer have already gotten to 1000 units on this model? I haven't read page 47-100 of this thread so I don't know. If they haven't sold 1000 unit, it could be that they have produced 1000 units (or close) and are trying to unload them and start selling their next high end headphone product.

Buying this sight-unseen, fingers crossed, at least this is not something costing $4000 :ksc75smile:.

They offered these at Massdrop, so there's no way only 1000 total were made.

By the way, Bestbuy and B&H at this time have matched Pioneers $1875 sale price...so if you have a BB rewards card (you'd have to add taxes though) lying around :)

They sound terrific even with a "lowely" LG V30 source, so I can just imagine a true headphone amp rig..

I don't know, man, no one has shown a serial number over 1000 yet and $2700 headphones aren't exactly hot sellers on any platform, let alone one that pushes "dealz" like Massdrop.

I think we're still under 1000.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,785 of 2,189
20181218_010617_HDR.jpg

Just wanted to share this lethally good combination with everyone.. Pioneer SE headphones with a 4' custom cable from this AudioArt company from my hometown San Diego (who I also had make my terrific HT speaker cables) sounds just sublime even on a "lowly" LG V30/V40 phone. Both sides are terminated in high quality Eidolic connectors (MMCX and 3.5mm). Finally I'm able to dump that 10 foot original python cable for portable use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back