Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,817 of 2,189
Yup. It just checks every single box for me. All other headphones were either too bass-shy (looking at you, Sennheiser) or not spacious enough sounding or lacked resolution, but this one just walks the line. There's not a thing I would change. Okay, apart from the MMCX connectors maybe.
Thanks for head up. :)
Demoed them 2 years ago along with the Denon D7200 and, you could see in my sig, the Monitor 5.
While the SEM1 was enjoyable to listen to, the SEM5 had leaved a bigger impact on me.
But i've to agree, both of them were very underrated all over the place, imo.

Glad i've found the SEM5 used for around 500€ and i love them beside my Era-1. :L3000:

Enjoy your gems guys.
20200204_001800 - Kopiert.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,818 of 2,189
Yup. It just checks every single box for me. All other headphones were either too bass-shy (looking at you, Sennheiser) or not spacious enough sounding or lacked resolution, but this one just walks the line.

into a wall maybe :)
I keep my pair as a reminder not to jump on something without trying it. I kept it on my head for years because i spent so much money on it - then one day i tried my HD800s (which was sitting in a box for a long time - like a year or two.) Even with the known flaws in the HD800s, i never looked back at the master.
Now I use either of them... well.. for gaming i sometimes use the HD800s.

Only you know what you like. Hell, my sept dad loves 240hz soap-opera mode on the TV with a heavy blue push. I can't tell him he doesn't like it - because he does, but that doesn't make it not bad. (It is a really bad. Unlike audio magic, you can calibrate TVs and the measurement are king.
Is the master bad? My gut wants to say it is because of the cost. I never had any headphones under $500s... soo.. i'm not sure how it compares to cheap stuff. At $500 it would be fine ... i guess. It does kinda look cool/dumb :) I had the 543th pair made. (from the s/n)

One doesn't have to convince themselves that they loves something because they wasted money on it.
Yeah! i'm looking at you Meze Empyreans! You aren't great at 3k.. maybe really good at $1000 :)

But hopefully you lost souls :D didn't spend $2500 on them. Also, Enjoy!

edit:
er.. wait, are you talking about the monitor? I never tried that one. I was talking about the SE MASTER1.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,819 of 2,189
into a wall maybe :)
I keep my pair as a reminder not to jump on something without trying it. I kept it on my head for years because i spent so much money on it - then one day i tried my HD800s (which was sitting in a box for a long time - like a year or two.) Even with the known flaws in the HD800s, i never looked back at the master.
Now I use either of them... well.. for gaming i sometimes use the HD800s.

Only you know what you like. Hell, my sept dad loves 240hz soap-opera mode on the TV with a heavy blue push. I can't tell him he doesn't like it - because he does, but that doesn't make it not bad. (It is a really bad. Unlike audio magic, you can calibrate TVs and the measurement are king.
Is the master bad? My gut wants to say it is because of the cost. I never had any headphones under $500s... soo.. i'm not sure how it compares to cheap stuff. At $500 it would be fine ... i guess. It does kinda look cool/dumb :) I had the 543th pair made. (from the s/n)

One doesn't have to convince themselves that they loves something because they wasted money on it.
Yeah! i'm looking at you Meze Empyreans! You aren't great at 3k.. maybe really good at $1000 :)

But hopefully you lost souls :D didn't spend $2500 on them. Also, Enjoy!

edit:
er.. wait, are you talking about the monitor? I never tried that one. I was talking about the SE MASTER1.
Lol?

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,820 of 2,189
edit:
From my brief listening with both at a hifi store, the Monitor 5 outperforms the Master 1, imo.
Don't know what could be happen with a serious listening over weeks.

But i do judge a headphone within the first listening, which can be a few minutes.
If it fits my sonic signature instantly, i'm lost. :)

That's what was happen with me and the Monitor 5 1 year ago. Similar to the Quad Era-1.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,821 of 2,189
From my brief listening with both at a hifi store, the Monitor 5 outperforms the Master 1, imo.
Don't know what could be happen with a serious listening over weeks.

But i do judge a headphone within the first listening, which can be a few minutes.
If it fits my sonic signature instantly, i'm lost. :)

That's what was happen with me and the Monitor 5 1 year ago. Similar to the Quad Era-1.
See, that's what happened to me with the SE-Master1. Love at first listen, couldn't think of anything else after the Fair, and that feeling never changed. When I demoed the Monitor 5, I wasn't that impressed, but that's just how it goes. Maybe we should get together sometime for a more extended shoot-out however; I'm in Munich. :wink:

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,823 of 2,189
See, that's what happened to me with the SE-Master1. Love at first listen, couldn't think of anything else after the Fair, and that feeling never changed. When I demoed the Monitor 5, I wasn't that impressed, but that's just how it goes. Maybe we should get together sometime for a more extended shoot-out however; I'm in Munich. :wink:
Sounds great.
I'm located near Landsberg. :wink:
But my friends mostly located in munich, where i've lived for 15 years.
Maybe we could have an audition at Rauch & Schall. :smile:
Meze Empyrian is there and waiting for me. ^^

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #1,825 of 2,189
So I just recently got a pair of these in, I'd heard these quite a while ago and liked them a lot but couldn't justify grabbing them then. Now that I have them, all I can say is WOW. I know I'm a little late to the club but this is probably the best or near best (next to the LCD 4) I've heard for bass response. The big plus is I find the tonality much more agreeable overall on these than the LCD 4 (without EQ especially), even though a lot of people are put off by the measurement of these. Regardless of how they measure, they actually don't come off bright or harsh at all. And the soundstage is amazing, wide and deep-- not too far away from my Hifiman Aryas in that respect. I think these resolve a little better overall and are just a much more exciting and dynamic listen. I still have yet to hear the Utopia but I this this is my favorite set so far... price notwithstanding. Happy to join the Pioneer club :).

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #1,826 of 2,189
So I just recently got a pair of these in, I'd heard these quite a while ago and liked them a lot but couldn't justify grabbing them then. Now that I have them, all I can say is WOW. I know I'm a little late to the club but this is probably the best or near best (next to the LCD 4) I've heard for bass response. The big plus is I find the tonality much more agreeable overall on these than the LCD 4 (without EQ especially), even though a lot of people are put off by the measurement of these. Regardless of how they measure, they actually don't come off bright or harsh at all. And the soundstage is amazing, wide and deep-- not too far away from my Hifiman Aryas in that respect. I think these resolve a little better overall and are just a much more exciting and dynamic listen. I still have yet to hear the Utopia but I this this is my favorite set so far... price notwithstanding. Happy to join the Pioneer club :).

welcome to the club then :)

I prefer them over the Utopia, which, to me, is just pressing details into my ears without regard for the music as a whole. Much too aggressive, and by that I don’t mean harsh or strident, but converting everything to a snapping sound of that makes any sense. The Master-1 gives me much more enjoyable listening time.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,827 of 2,189
I also preferred the SE-M1 over the LCD-4 as well as the Utopia every time I've heard them. The Audeze was too dark for my taste, while the Utopia sounded more unnatural to me than the Pioneer.
The special trick is that it couples the great bass performance @Undun mentions with a very open, spacious sound, which I feel is absolutely unique in this combination. The soundstage is indeed immense and rivals any I've heard on a headphone to date.
Enjoy, @Undun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back