Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,712 of 1,830
Now down to £230 refurb price on amazon uk for the black one. Very tempted at that price point.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,714 of 1,830
Update in Store for Music App:
Whats New
-Fixed a problem that noise was reproduced by USB DAC such as DAC HA 200
-Fixed some crashes

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,715 of 1,830
I'm interested in this DAP, perhaps we can solve the question about which components it uses beyond the brand's apps... If you have it, can you tell the difference between this DAP with a non MQA streaming app like the BBC's iPlayer with 6 Music, or does it sound like a phone? I have an old, clunky nwz-z1060 and while probably not the highest streaming quality I can hear the difference when playing 6 Music through it, compared to my Blackberry Passport, Nexus 4 or Macbook Pro...

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,716 of 1,830
I'm interested in this DAP, perhaps we can solve the question about which components it uses beyond the brand's apps... If you have it, can you tell the difference between this DAP with a non MQA streaming app like the BBC's iPlayer with 6 Music, or does it sound like a phone? I have an old, clunky nwz-z1060 and while probably not the highest streaming quality I can hear the difference when playing 6 Music through it, compared to my Blackberry Passport, Nexus 4 or Macbook Pro...

I'm sorry, but that would such a subjective test - different people hear differences when others don't, and audiophiles claim to hear huge differences between various versions of software when there has been no change in audio processing. What you can or think you hear doesn't prove or disprove what hardware the player is using.

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,717 of 1,830
I'm sorry, but that would such a subjective test - different people hear differences when others don't, and audiophiles claim to hear huge differences between various versions of software when there has been no change in audio processing. What you can or think you hear doesn't prove or disprove what hardware the player is using.

Yup, totally subjective, but if most / a lot of people hear a difference, there's something to it. I can't tell you how different my phones sound from my z1060, but there is clearly a difference.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,718 of 1,830
I purchased this device a year ago at 510.00€. Returned it as at that price range it was not value for money V sound stage difference over my Samsung Galaxy S6+.

I have just ordered it again for 320.00€ it will be interesting to see how I now feel about it at this price level.
I own the new Samsung galaxy Note 8 and am reasonably happy with the sound reproduction via decent head gear. I didn't want to have two units to carry around but considered the Oppo HA2 SE as a DAC-amp. The Oppo cost about 385.00€ I know the SE has the newer DAC but the original Oppo HA2 has the same DAC as the Pioneer. I am rather torn as to what to do....Should I go for the original Oppo, new, SE Oppo or when it arrives keep the Pioneer? Going to be fun comparing my Note 8 with the Pioneer.
The difference between the Pioneer and the Samsung Galaxy S6+ was negligible that is why I returned the Pioneer this time last year. Could not justify the small difference in sound stage even though there clearly was one. As the Pioneer has dropped so drastically in price it may now be worth the outlay?
Unsure if I should have purchased the Oppo HA2 SE to add to the Note 8? Frustration rules here! Agaaaa. I am hoping a dedicated DAP will be worth it.

Ryland

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,719 of 1,830
I purchased this device a year ago at 510.00€. Returned it as at that price range it was not value for money V stage stage difference over my Samsung Galaxy S6+.

I have just ordered it again for 320.00€ it will be interesting to see how I now feel about it at this price level.
I own the new Samsung galaxy Note 8 and am reasonably happy with the sound reproduction via decent head gear. I didn't want to have two units to carry around but considered the Oppo HA2 SE as a DAC-amp. The Oppo cost about 385.00€ I know the SE has the newer DAC but the original Oppo HA2 has the same DAC as the Pioneer. I am rather torn as to what to do....Should I go for the original Oppo, new, SE Oppo or when it arrives keep the Pioneer? Going to be fun comparing my Note 8 with the Pioneer.
The difference between the Pioneer and the Samsung Galaxy S6+ was negligible that is why I returned the Pioneer this time last year. Could not justify the small difference in sound stage even though there clearly was one. As the Pioneer has dropped so drastically in price it may now be worth the outlay?
Unsure if I should have purchased the Oppo HA2 SE to add to the Note 8? Frustration rules here! Agaaaa. I am hoping a dedicated DAP will be worth it.

Ryland

That's pretty much the decision you have to make. Phone/dac (ever considered getting the Mojo that everyone raves about?)or dedicated dap. For me it's a no brainer as I am not allowed to use a phone (don't have one anyway)in work areas due to security issues, so that means a dap. Atm I am using a sony a35 which is great except no bookmarking features at all.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,720 of 1,830
Delivered on Friday and will be returning it tomorrow, Monday. Spent three days listening to the Pioneer and despite its many talents and now relatively reasonable price it does not warrant keeping.
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and though the Pioneer certainly sounds different and in some areas produces a superior sound stage the difference is so small it is not worth the hassle of carrying around a second unit to listen to music.

I have been buying hifi since the early 70's and have spent an embarrassing amount of cash on seperate's. Cables costing a fortune etc... About ten years ago I came to the realisation that if the source material is not their no matter what I use to reproduce it the result will be the same after spending a given platform of money.
Secondly, That goose bump feeling can be experienced at 1k set up and not at a 20k set up. After all these years I have stopped trying to find 'the best'. which is subjective at best, and look for that goose bump syndrome. In my office-den I have a cheap and cheerful 1k set up and it makes me smile every time I use it. The esoterica is boxed and in the loft.
Same applies to this DAP. Is it a good DAP? For what I now paid yes it is. At 320€ it is fine BUT not worth the burden of carting around a second device when I own the Note 8 that has a very good DAC and amp. Sure there is a difference but yet again its not worth the outlay and inconvenience of transporting it around.

Lastly. Until the hi res developers start to agree on what format they are going to use its a bloomin nightmare. Trying to find true hi res recordings is difficult and for those who are true portable audiophiles maybe worth the hassle. I am pleased to write those days are behind me and I pass such burdens on to the next generation to try and discover Nirvana. The secret is its not there! Find what give you the smile factor and keep with it. The Pioneer made me smile but so does the Note 8 so why have both devices?

I thought about the Oppo HA2 SE but I am not going to bother as long as the Note 8 keeps me smiling. After all this is portable sound and how often can we really enjoy such sound, a bus, train, aircraft....I think not. When at home put the hifi on and enjoy.

The Pioneer gets the thumbs up but its still not for me.

Ryland

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,721 of 1,830
Well that's too bad. Enjoy the music on your phone in between phone calls, notifications, and text messages. Oh, and shorter battery life. Any dedicated DAP > phone/phone + amp.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,722 of 1,830
I have been buying hifi since the early 70's and have spent an embarrassing amount of cash on seperate's. Cables costing a fortune etc... About ten years ago I came to the realisation that if the source material is not their no matter what I use to reproduce it the result will be the same after spending a given platform of money.
Secondly, That goose bump feeling can be experienced at 1k set up and not at a 20k set up. After all these years I have stopped trying to find 'the best'. which is subjective at best, and look for that goose bump syndrome. In my office-den I have a cheap and cheerful 1k set up and it makes me smile every time I use it.

Completely agree. Out of interest, what is your 1K ‘goosebump’ system?

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,723 of 1,830
Well that's too bad. Enjoy the music on your phone in between phone calls, notifications, and text messages. Oh, and shorter battery life. Any dedicated DAP > phone/phone + amp.

What you identify as a negative I see as a positive. regardless of DAP or smartphone if the phone rings we need to answer. In terms of using the separate DAP I may not even hear said call or if I did hear the call I would have to pause the DAP then pick up the phone to answer the call. Either way we need to answer calls and know we have an SMS and for that the smart phone is obviously better.

I think this boils down to what we are willing to compromise on. Life is a compromise. I don't 'want' two devices to carry around. I prefer just the one. Is the noise level in a public place going to be enough to tell one is listening to either the dedicated DAP or the smartphone? For sure if we sit in a sound booth and concentrate, listening for the nuances we will find them, who does that though? Remember the idea of owning a portable device is so we can listen to our music on the move. In my home I have a stereo set up, in the car the same, I do not agree listening to music while bike riding so where is there left?
I can see the point in buying a DAP if one doesn't have a home stereo etc but if that was the case I would be looking to up my game by aiming at a higher quality player.

I have said the Pioneer is now a decent DAP at this price and will serve its owners well, its just not for me. As for battery you have touched on the Pioneers weakest link! It was awful and no where near as strong as the Note 8.

Ryland

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #1,724 of 1,830
Completely agree. Out of interest, what is your 1K ‘goosebump’ system?

Marantz PM5004 amp, Denon DVD2910 player, Monitor audio bronze BX2 speakers, QED speaker cable and various connection leads. I also use my lap top, the Asus G752VS with a Fiio Andes EO7K DAC. In theory this should not sound at all decent but it just does and every time I hear this set up it makes me smile. THAT is worth a million bucks to me. Nivana lol.

Ryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back