Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Sep 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #76 of 1,830
Best car ever is still the Mclaren F1 (admittedly it has a BMW engine......).

Closest approach to that in DAPs...

Well in HiFi closest approach is my Tag McClaren Processor, Amp, DVD player and Speakers :)

Using skills from Tag Heur watches, and engineering from McClaren, it really was beautiful gear until they pulled out of HiFi. My gear is till going strong though. And accepts DAPs very nicely.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #77 of 1,830
Best car ever is still the Mclaren F1 (admittedly it has a BMW engine......).

Ok fine, the best affordable (~150K) car ever will be the Toyota X BMW, FT-1, currently the crown is probably on the Nissan GTR, there is also a new Honda NSX coming which will also be in contention with the FT-1 for the crown.

Closest approach to that in DAPs (including price) is the Tera Player.

There are ways around everything in electronics, a screen and OS might add jitter in a traditional setup, but there are ways to circumvent that. The Tera is just a garage project, the reason it is the way it is because the guy can't make a full fledged dap on his own lol. Also the Tera also isn't very powerful, so it won't sound as good as some other daps with some headphones like AKG K7XX, Senn HD650, Beyer DT990, etc.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #79 of 1,830
^ When there was barely any news of XDP100R of course, plus you can't mention Japanese partnerships like Pioneer X Onkyo X Teac, without mentioning Toyota X Subaru, and you can't mention that without mentioning Toyota X BMW. Just logical progression 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #80 of 1,830

Ok fine, the best affordable (~150K) car ever will be the Toyota X BMW, FT-1, currently the crown is probably on the Nissan GTR, there is also a new Honda NSX coming which will also be in contention with the FT-1 for the crown.

There are ways around everything in electronics, a screen and OS might add jitter in a traditional setup, but there are ways to circumvent that. The Tera is just a garage project, the reason it is the way it is because the guy can't make a full fledged dap on his own lol. Also the Tera also isn't very powerful, so it won't sound as good as some other daps with some headphones like AKG K7XX, Senn HD650, Beyer DT990, etc.

Prefer the original NSX. Best depends on preference and priority. GTR is fastest 0-60 under 150K but I (might) take a 911 GT3 instead.

All this talk of cars is making me wanna take my Type R out of the garage........

True, there are always concessions when it comes to portable sound. If I could afford to, I might still prefer to pair a portable amp with a Tera Player when needed. Sometimes the best possible tool and the right tool for the job are different things.

Back to the Pioneer DAP, I re-read the specs and see its the first MQA compatible player. That might help put it towards the front of the pack but I couldn't find any MQA downloads or samples to test for myself if that is a game changer.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #81 of 1,830
Well in HiFi closest approach is my Tag McClaren Processor, Amp, DVD player and Speakers :)

Using skills from Tag Heur watches.

You will find that timepiece aficionados wouldn't even consider tag as a real watchmaker in the world of haute horology. They are more of an advertising company than a 'manufacture'

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #82 of 1,830
I now know why Pioneer and Onkyo are releasing a similar dap. Because Onkyo bought Pioneer's AV division, so Pioneer AV now work with Onkyo to engineer products, but they are still releasing the daps as separate brands for more exposure and targeting different price points.

Also interesting to know is that Onkyo, Teac and Philips were all bought by American company Gibson, which thus allowed sharing of intellectual property between those companies, so Teac and Onkyo worked together to create the daps P90SD and HA300.

Maybe that is also why my Philips A5-Pro sound so great out of my P90SD
biggrin.gif
, so it was a good thing that Gibson bought these 3 companies, because that allows them to share development knowledge with each other, essentially meaning that the products of Teac, Onkyo and Philips will be better as a result, and also designed to work in conjunction with each other better, as will be even more evident if you read my next post.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #86 of 1,830
Pioneer XDP-100R:
Dac: 1x Sabre ES9018K2M
Amp: 1x Sabre 9601K
Output: Single ended 3.5mm TRS.
Topology: Single ended from dac through to amp and output.

Onkyo DP-X1:
Dacs: 2x Sabre ES9018K2M
Amps: 2x Sabre 9601K in BTL config and Active Control Ground.
Outputs: Balanced 2.5mm TRRS, and 3.5mm TRS.
Topology: Balanced from dacs through to amps and output.

I made a new thread for the Onkyo DP-X1 because it is the flagship dap out of these two and deserves it's own thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-dac-fully-balanced-mqa-smart-dap-with-dual-microsd

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #89 of 1,830
So, how much is this units estimated price??

They definitely have stolen design concepts from AK240. I think AK240's design is ugly. This one's better... but it has some ideas taken from AK240 and AK120 II.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #90 of 1,830
UK dealer said it will be 500 pounds, probably would be $500-$700 in usd. The Onkyo variant will likely be a jump in price maybe 1K
frown.gif

If Onkyo read this, please don't fall into the trap of overpricing your dap to compete with other overpriced daps, if you release your daps at fair prices like $500-$700 they will sell like fire because no one else has a dap that has smart phone performance, but if you overprice it then you will just be competing with crazed AK fans who would never admit that any dap could be better than AK. So please don't overprice it 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back