Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,231 of 2,535
Make sure you are also adjusting the Gain to High when trying more demanding cans. I wouldn't say it's lacking power, I'd say it's about right for a DAP. More demanding cans need a powered source of amplification.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,232 of 2,535
Newbie, here....I just wanted to say that, even as a technophobic music-lover, I've been through several DAPS (iRiver ih40, Cowon X7, Fiio X5ii and, briefly, X5iii and, even more briefly, Pioneer 30R) and decided to take the plunge with the 300R. I have not been disappointed. The sound is the best I've experienced, so rich and warm and head-filling. I have questions I'll save for later, but I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of approval. With the Fiio X5ii I felt I took a step back with sound, but having lived with that for over a year (and the fiddly interface) this is a monumental leap forward. I am very happy!

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,233 of 2,535
I bought my Pioneer XDP-300R this past month and it was a decision between Onkyo DP-X1 and the 300R.
I chose 300R in the end because of the loose headphone jack issue from Onkyo and 300R was just accessible at the time.

This is my first Hi-Res player so I can't really provide much comparison but I am going to highlight a few observations I have made so far.
1) Solid build, easy and user friendly android interface
2) Power Output: I use this to drive my Campfire Audio Jupiter. And it seems to be doing the job and I am usually fine with volume around 70~80 sometimes higher or lower depending on the audio source.
However several people have pointed out that this may not have enough power to drive headphones by itself and I think it is true. (just pair with an amp and you are good to go.)
3) Sound Quality: It's spectacular. Again using my Jupiter as a baseline there is just nothing to complain about :)
4) Battery Life: Because of the android system it tends to drain fairly quickly even when it's left idle. That's also because I don't turn off all the background apps. Battery life would probably be more sustainable if you turn off everything else.

Overall, the player has been great. I just have one really frustrating issue regarding the official Pioneer case for the 300R.
THIS THING WON'T BUDGE AT ALL WHEN I TRY TO REMOVE IT.

When people say it fits like a glove, it totally does. And if you already have your memory cards inserted and do not have the intention to ever remove the case again, then you are good to go.
But I made the mistake of putting on the case without all my memory cards in and I am now stuck with a case that would most likely need to be cut (Which I think someone has done it before already) if I want it to be removed again.

You have been warned.

(I am going to try to add more comments on the player as I spend more time with it)

I've found that if I leave the player overnight to get as cold as possible, it's still quite tight, but can be pushed with two fingers, from the bottom. Try not to grip the sides too tightly (if your worried about dropping it, do it over a bed, or sofa) and it will at least slide out far enough to get to the card slots. But once the volume knob is out, it should pull out easily.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,234 of 2,535
I've found that if I leave the player overnight to get as cold as possible, it's still quite tight, but can be pushed with two fingers, from the bottom. Try not to grip the sides too tightly (if your worried about dropping it, do it over a bed, or sofa) and it will at least slide out far enough to get to the card slots. But once the volume knob is out, it should pull out easily.

Yes, I do this with the 2 fingers from the bottom (ignoring temperature). The resistance is coming from the volume knob. As above, I see some people have cut and removed the portion of the case above the volume knob so it can't offer resistance, but I left mine in place. After on and off about 10-15 times, I find it can be removed quite easily.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #1,235 of 2,535

Thanks a lot! I will probably try that tonight. It's just frustrating to think that the case was designed without the considering how much work it would take to put on and remove it from the player. And quite frankly I don't think they have the volume knob in mind when they designed it. :frowning2:

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,236 of 2,535
Make sure you are also adjusting the Gain to High when trying more demanding cans. I wouldn't say it's lacking power, I'd say it's about right for a DAP. More demanding cans need a powered source of amplification.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I should change my wording. It's not really lacking power, but requires more attention and modification when it comes to more demanding source, and perhaps outside amp like you said.
It's been good enough to power my CA with no problem whatsoever so I am happy with it. I would like to pair it with other iems and headphones to see how it performs when I have the chance.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #1,237 of 2,535
did you read my post about 3-4 up from yours about the case? i did finally manage to get it off, but it was over an hour struggling and wrestling. i'm still evaluating the best way to copy my music onto the cards, but if i decide to put the case back on i firmly believe i'm going to cut slits for the cards so i will never have to take it off again.

oh, and i'm a newbie to hi-res as well, but afaik about the only portable amp which supports all the formats the 300r does is the ifi nano, but i'd hate to have to carry around even something that small. the pioneer balanced earbuds seem the perfect solution to me as they need no amplification. i want to use my massdrop sennheiser 6xx's with it, but it's 600ohm and i suspect it will have to have an amp. but i have a few pairs of headphones lying around which are lower impedance which shouldn't have any problems with volume.

/guy

I didn't catch up completely but I just read it. I didn't spend an hour with it because I was too exhausted and frustrated to do it. The case is still stuck but I am going to try to get it out again with suggestions from all of you :) After that I am either going to put all the memory cards in and call it a day or cut a slit like you are considering. I am just not sure which cut would be better- the volume korb or the card slot.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,238 of 2,535
Where is the setting to adjust the gain? I use it with Neutron instead of the built-in app, but I find I have to turn the volume up very high.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,239 of 2,535
Where is the setting to adjust the gain? I use it with Neutron instead of the built-in app, but I find I have to turn the volume up very high.
Drop down top bar and go to Settings>Sound & Notification>Gain Setting.

I use with Neutron as well. I like Neutron bc of the extra fine tuning but does suck that it overrides the screen time out so you have to remember to turn off the display

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,240 of 2,535
I do turn off the display, usually fall asleep listening to an album. Battery is usually dead when I wake up.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,242 of 2,535
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,243 of 2,535
Hello!
tell me please, who is not difficult, where he read that it is possible to replace the battery in a player "pioneer xdp 300r" with more power without any problems! ??
Poke your nose into the post or share a link to the information!

In general, is it possible to do this or not? Replace the battery with a more capacious one

I have two players, Pioneer xdp 300r and Onkyo x1, in my hands, do they have the same stuffing inside???

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,244 of 2,535
Hi Folks

New to the forums but have been trawling through this great thread for the past week and am very close to requesting an XDP-300R for my birthday from the good lady. I currently use an iPod touch 64GB and Samsung S7 Edge with 200GB micro sd card for my music but running out of storage and wishing to up the listening experience brought me here. Was between this and the FiiO X7 II but am leaning towards the Pioneer for ease of software, etc.

I currently use my S7 with Poweramp and iSyncr to sync all my playlists from iTunes which works great. I have way more playlists though than are currently on the full S7 micro sd card and was thrilled to see from previous posts that the 300R can take 2 x 400GB cards. My question is to anyone who uses iSyncr with Poweramp (or other software combos) on the 300R for transferring playlists and how they find the 300R reliability wise with multiple playlists and big micro sd cards.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back