Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #931 of 2,535
Now that I think about it, I did try it balanced a while ago (had a balanced cable for my Pono, and an adaptor from Surf Cables. Didn't find it was any better, so I went back to the single ended cable, but left the balanced setting on. Have to set how it fares battery wise with it off. (lots of places to screw up the settings...)

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #932 of 2,535
Pioneer XDP-300r vs. Fiio X7 mk2 vs. Onkyo dp-x1a ??????? Plus and minus for each?

I know the X7mk2 is just announced... but it's clearly a contender while considering the other two.

And I have read the entire thread for all three. But it hasn't really answered the question.

Want MQA, Tidal off line, reliabe, great sound, easy to use, no issues and no system failures.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #933 of 2,535
dp-x1a has more memory, I prefer the looks of the xdp-300r, and no one knows about the fiio x7 mk2 yet, but the x7 was plagued with issues.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #935 of 2,535
I would say that with the balanced option on and with using the skip feature and not being fully charged it ate the battery up quite a bit and only allowed around 4 hours from 90 percent to around 25%.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #936 of 2,535
I own both the XDP-300R(B) and the Fiio X5 Mark III. Some in this thread have compared the two and I don't feel it is a fair comparison. Even if you throw the XDP-300R $300 price difference out of the picture, I don't feel the X5 3rd Gen compares. A couple of points to debate.

1. It has been mentioned in this thread and its true, the Fiio software is rough around the edges. Sure, they are both android however, the XDP-300R software experience is smooth and polished. Play/Pause lag, screen time-out issues, etc.
  2. I am on my third X5 Mark III because mine have been plagued with touchscreen issues. I hope Fiio is listening, my touchscreen issues are not fixed. On all of my units, I can replicate this by turning the DAP off, charge to 100% and turn the unit on. Touch doesn't work until the battery drains a few percentage points. The XDP-300R works as it should but sometimes I miss the pure music mode of the X5 3rd Gen. If it isn't patented, I hope Pioneer brings a software update for a similar feature. It is convenient when you just want a DAP without a full Android feature set.
  3. The Fiio X5 ships with screen protectors on the front and back. For me, this hurts the quality feel of the DAP. It is unfortunate that this is needed as a 'default' application. When you look and pick up the XDP-300R it is nicer. I would compare it to 'please don't scorch me' holding a medium level android and a iPhone. The quality difference is obvious but it is also subjective. A metal back on the X5 Mark III would have added a more quality feel.
  4. The SD Card Trays on the X5 Mark III is also probably subjective. However, I like them on the X5 Mark III. I feel that these trays really finish off the look of the DAP for the better. It hasn't happened yet, but I would hate to accidentally eject a 256GB SD Card on my XDP-300R.
  5. Button placement on the Fiio X5 3rd Gen causes me to shake my head every time. The power button is exactly where your index finger rests when you are using the manual controls on the left side. When holding it in one hand, it is natural to 'squeeze' the DAP to play/pause, advance tracks etc. When you do, the power button placement causes you to press both. The XDP-300R has a more thoughtful approach aligning all of the buttons on one side. The addition of raised dots on some of the buttons really helps.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #937 of 2,535
Haven't timed it, but battery life is much better since I turned off balanced (and try to shut it whenever I'm not listening).

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #939 of 2,535
Uploading Problems

I'm sure it must be me, but I don't know why sometimes I can load a FLAC, a WAV, or MP3 file onto the SD card, and it will play like a charm.
Other times, I load the same kind of file and it won't play at all, or will start and then go all glitchy.

+
It seems really finicky about playing Apple Music.

Anyone got any ideas or solutions to these issues -- or work arounds?

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #941 of 2,535
Has anyone opened a XDP-300R up, or a DP-X1? I'm curious as to what the ports actually look like - I'm wondering if a fix using something like this or this would work for those of us who's ports have snapped. If the unit is open it would be a lot easier to permanently fix them to the casing too.
I found the below image of a DP-X1 but not sure if they'd fit.

I also wonder if it would be practical to wire something like this and have just the wires soldered to the PCB and come out of the hole in the casing, I'd be concerned about tugging or pulling on the PCB, but then can it get much worse than the port snapping. There's also the look I suppose - it won't look pretty having two wires hanging out with plug's attached.

dp-x1_asics.jpg

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #942 of 2,535
Opening it up would carry a very high risk of screen or digitiser damage. I tried Sugru first to reinforce the sockets, but it didn't last so in the end I went with some 5 minute epoxy, the sockets are not going anywhere now. :)

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #943 of 2,535
I also tried Sugru without success so moved onto 20 second glue, which has held out so far but because my port came off all together it's now glued back in place, not just keeping it in situ within the casing. The problem i have though is if the jack moves the audio cuts out of the left channel so it musn't be fully bonded.
I've opened phones up before so have decent idea of what's involved and the risks but I'm at the point now where I want a permanent solution.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #945 of 2,535
I have just received my 300R, upgrading from the 100R. During set up I had the 300R charging off my PC and the 300R has become very hot, not just operationally warm, hot. The 100R did not do this and it is in the Pioneer cover. Anyone else had this problem? I am unsure as to whether it is a faulty unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back