Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,426 of 37,638
I know I can't say much (seeing that these are the first and only pair of headphones I've have), but I'd give em a solid 8/10. For what you can pick them up now, it's a no brainer if your looking in the sub $100 price range. It lacks some detailing in the mid range, and once you get to the lower frequencies it starts to lose some of the tightness. Other than that, I'd say they're amazing! 

Personally, I think the CAL! is a much better headphone overall. I purchased the Uptowns, because of the rave I had read about them from a few people, unfortunately I was extremely disappointed when I heard them. Only thing I can say about the Uptowns is that they are very comfortable for 60$ headphones.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,427 of 37,638
Jan 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,432 of 37,638
Trying these out for now 
wink.gif
 the ue4000

Sound quality? It's alright for a cheap closed portable set. I'm not a very analytical listener when on the metro or just walking to the grocery store so that's not a problem. The mic is very clear sounding and the cable terminates in a right angle, pretty good portable.

It's also quite good looking imo 
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #1,433 of 37,638
Quote:
Without derailing the thread to much. There's a whole world of detail and atmosphere I don't find in Apple devices, they sound rather blank or straight forward, like coffee without any milk or sugar. The players I choose to use have very obvious black spaces behind the music, they each have a different flavour of coffee bean which gives them personality, once you learn that personality you achieve completely separate buzz from listening. If I was going to get an Apple device I would be amping to flavour the signal that way, however I still think they lack in technical ability. I could crap on about separation and other technical areas but my main point is they don't have a taste imo.

Anyway... last thing I want is for this thread to turn into an Apple debate.
redface.gif
The numbers are high.
devil_face.gif

Your making me want coffee now!

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,435 of 37,638
Quote:
Without derailing the thread to much. There's a whole world of detail and atmosphere I don't find in Apple devices, they sound rather blank or straight forward, like coffee without any milk or sugar. The players I choose to use have very obvious black spaces behind the music, they each have a different flavour of coffee bean which gives them personality, once you learn that personality you achieve completely separate buzz from listening. If I was going to get an Apple device I would be amping to flavour the signal that way, however I still think they lack in technical ability. I could crap on about separation and other technical areas but my main point is they don't have a taste imo.

Anyway... last thing I want is for this thread to turn into an Apple debate.
redface.gif
The numbers are high.
devil_face.gif

For me, this is why I enjoy my iPod.  Not being a true audiophile, and listening to music purely for the enjoyment of the sound that reaches my ears, Apple does a fantastic job in this regard.  I have quite a few songs on my iPod and I can easily switch from song to song within seconds.  That and the playlist functions make it an easy choice for my day to day source, and the Genius function is a great way to hear a song you might not even think about listening.

I do plan on getting some better in-ears soon though, so I will probably pick up another player and do a comparison just to see if my non audiophile ears can hear a difference.  I just have to decide between universal or customs 
size]

But seriously, milk and sugar in coffee?  That is just wrong 
size]

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,437 of 37,638
I am still using idevices , because of the UI and the ease of use , whenever I have a new song, i can just plug it in to my PC and it will work , and I am rather confident it will work that way for a long time, without changing softwares or drag and dropping everything each time I have a new song. I can move to something like poweramp on android platform because of how I can do the same as like the ipod with just an app, when I found a way to import the entirety of my library keeping its formatting and playlist into a player, only then I will switch to one of those spartan hardcore audio player

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,438 of 37,638
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,439 of 37,638
Flashing the correct kernel on to my Nexus 7 so i can USB audio has turned out to be impossible. It has really annoyed me because it just simply says fail in TWRP when i try and flash what i want. This means i can not use the USB DACs that i would like with it but what i can use is the best DAC i have because its ability to use bluetooth.

So here was todays rather enjoyable rig:

Nexus 7 > Bluetooth > MyST 1866 PortaDAC > Effect Audio Apollo Cable > Heir Audio 4.Ai

What i will say is it sounds amazing. We lose the cruddy DAC of the Nexus 7 and get the unbelievably detailed and smooth sound of the 1866 R-2R DAC and then we los a bit of the mid-bass and warmth of the 4.Ai with the upgrade cable resulting in a more neutral and transparent IEM. This really is a top tier rig!

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,440 of 37,638
Is the PortaDAC as big as a Matrix M-Stage??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back