Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,066 of 37,709
Hey Chuckle, if this is a true portable rig, any amp over $250 is gonna be overkill.  If this is your home rig, then it's a different story.  Get the M100's, spend some time with them and the E11, then decide what's missing if anything and go from there.

Notice how I stated, "what's missing".  Normal hearing will usually find your setup to be quite sufficient.  However, if you must spend money for your music to sound good (like everyone else around here), then go for it.  Make some amp manufacturer that much more money.  Seriously though, Leckerton is fine, if you must spend money. Do yourself a favor though.  Keep the E11 and compare the Leckerton or iDevice to the E11 and see what the real difference sounds like.  Let me know what you find out.

PS. Remember to enjoy the music.  And, if you like bass, which I assume you do looking at your choice of "bassphone", I'd ditch the iPod for a Cowon.  Nice warm sound without EQ.  With EQ, you're gonna be in heaven.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,067 of 37,709
They are my faithful friends, Nokia 5530, cMoy (built it by myself), Panasonic ear buds 

537437_571301866216614_1713789483_n.jpg

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,068 of 37,709
Quote:
Hey Chuckle, if this is a true portable rig, any amp over $250 is gonna be overkill.  If this is your home rig, then it's a different story.  Get the M100's, spend some time with them and the E11, then decide what's missing if anything and go from there.

Notice how I stated, "what's missing".  Normal hearing will usually find your setup to be quite sufficient.  However, if you must spend money for your music to sound good (like everyone else around here), then go for it.  Make some amp manufacturer that much more money.  Seriously though, Leckerton is fine, if you must spend money. Do yourself a favor though.  Keep the E11 and compare the Leckerton or iDevice to the E11 and see what the real difference sounds like.  Let me know what you find out.

PS. Remember to enjoy the music.  And, if you like bass, which I assume you do looking at your choice of "bassphone", I'd ditch the iPod for a Cowon.  Nice warm sound without EQ.  With EQ, you're gonna be in heaven.

I would look into a Cowon player, but I have around 150-200 256 kbps AAC files on my iPod. Of course that is outweighed by the amount of ALAC rips from CDs I have but still. I might have to get a Cowon player some time because I keep hearing all these good things about them. Oh and about the remember to enjoy music comment, I'm very much looking forward to getting to a point where I can relax and just buy music instead of having to worry about amps and DACs, but I'm sure it's a while away haha!

I'm kind of confused about the Leckerton, would I be able to bypass the internal DAC of my iPod using that, and how so? I quite like  the look, and the price of the c421, thanks for showing me that. How does it sound mosshorn?

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,069 of 37,709
The Leckerton's DAC is for computers only (or an Android device, but that's a different story). The amp section itself is very highly regarded around here, but I don't know more than that. The C421 was great. It was very clean, powerful, and had (to my ears) the best bass boost I've heard on a device. Heck, if you don't have any super hard to drive cans, I would say you could use the C421 as a main home amp as well. I did for a bit, and it really is lovely. Size wise it also mates with the Ipod perfectly. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,071 of 37,709
Quote:
It looks a bit overkill for just listening to exclusively EDM in ALAC and 320 kbps MP3 file formats. How much of an audible difference is there between the iPod's internal DAC and using an external DAC? Can I hear some more options? Thank you very much for all the help everyone!

Using a DAC in-between your player and your phones/ears makes a tremendous difference IMO. There is a less expensive alternative to the Fostex HP-P1, it is the Go Dap~X and you can get here. I used the X both as a portable DAC/AMP and as a USB DAC/AMP for a month and it was sweet. And its about the size of a iPod, so about 1/2 the size of the HP-P1.

I used just a iPod and amp for 5-6 years and then when I put a DAC in the mix, it was night and day difference. Even MP3s at 128 sound much better with a DAC to my ears.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #1,072 of 37,709
Quote:

Cowon, nice warm sound without EQ? That has not been my experience.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,074 of 37,709
It looks a bit overkill for just listening to exclusively EDM in ALAC and 320 kbps MP3 file formats. How much of an audible difference is there between the iPod's internal DAC and using an external DAC? Can I hear some more options? Thank you very much for all the help everyone!

Using a DAC in-between your player and your phones/ears makes a tremendous difference IMO. There is a less expensive alternative to the Fostex HP-P1, it is the Go Dap~X and you can get here. I used the X both as a portable DAC/AMP and as a USB DAC/AMP for a month and it was sweet. And its about the size of a iPod, so about 1/2 the size of the HP-P1.

I used just a iPod and amp for 5-6 years and then when I put a DAC in the mix, it was night and day difference. Even MP3s at 128 sound much better with a DAC to my ears.

Does the Go Dap actually extract a bit-perfect digital output from the iDevice?

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #1,075 of 37,709
I'll go one step further and say that my J3 sounds rather cold compared to the ipod video 5.5 with GR07s. I think it would mate well with a slightly warmer sounding iem than the current VSonic flagship. It still sounds damned good, but I do miss the warmth of the ipod vid.
Quote:
Same here, it has actually been quite neutral imo.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,076 of 37,709
Quote:
The Leckerton's DAC is for computers only (or an Android device, but that's a different story). The amp section itself is very highly regarded around here, but I don't know more than that. The C421 was great. It was very clean, powerful, and had (to my ears) the best bass boost I've heard on a device. Heck, if you don't have any super hard to drive cans, I would say you could use the C421 as a main home amp as well. I did for a bit, and it really is lovely. Size wise it also mates with the Ipod perfectly. 

I really like the C421, and I really need the bass boost it provides considering I am a basshead and all. I'll read some reviews on it and if it provides as clean a bass boost as you say, I will most certainly purchase it.
Quote:

I'm also very interested in the Go-DAP X. The only thing I dislike is that it provides no bass boost but I'm sure that would be fine. I only boost my bass up  +2-4 Decibels usually and with already bassy cans I'm sure I would no need that. Also the ability to use it as a USB DAC/Amp makes it ver versatile and that definitely interests me. It's definitely between the Go-DAP X and the C421.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,080 of 37,709
My Tralucent 1+2 with Alo and. Cyberlab class - dB set up

Source : iPhone 4 S
Dac : Cyberlab Class -dB
Amp : alo Rx 3 B balance portable amp
Iem : Tralucent 1+2 with silver cable
Cable : class -dB to alo Rx 3 B use Alo copper balance cable
iPhone 4 S to class -dB use Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 mini usb to Lod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back