Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #14,656 of 37,653
  Have you audiophiles ever found any combos which deliver to your ears the kind of audio making you think it too good to be true? 

I am not an audiophile but I like modding/diying/tweaking things, and appreciate quality audio too. I am surprised that audio could sometimes jump big in response to certain tweaking. I now have this combo which makes all the iStocks in my possessions (iphone 4s, ipod video, classic 7g and mini) sound like 2D only (lacking horizontal depth and dynamics, only vertical dimensions). I am blown. 

What combo would that be?

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #14,657 of 37,653
  Have you audiophiles ever found any combos which deliver to your ears the kind of audio making you think it too good to be true? 

I am not an audiophile but I like modding/diying/tweaking things, and appreciate quality audio too. I am surprised that audio could sometimes jump big in response to certain tweaking. I now have this combo which makes all the iStocks in my possessions (iphone 4s, ipod video, classic 7g and mini) sound like 2D only (lacking horizontal depth and dynamics, only vertical dimensions). I am blown. 

And another audiophile is born........

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #14,661 of 37,653
ak100 + glove a1 + vintage pioneer se-l40 = WOW...

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #14,662 of 37,653

e741 (modded) and ms70d 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #14,663 of 37,653

I very nearly had a pair of these cans last year but lost the bid.
They're getting extremely rare especially in good condition.
I'll find a pair one day ( One hopes!!! lol )

Lovely rig!!!

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #14,664 of 37,653

What combo would that be?

The combo involves quite a bit of modding. For whatever reason, it just clicked firing on all cylinders. Audio is very strange, and I don't think I can even duplicate the same results from a pipeline with all the identical components. 

I know this may sound unbelievable to some head-fi'ers. Once I switched a CF card for a SDXC card on one of my diymods, and I instantly noticed with the SDXC it didn't sound as good as with the CF and there was loss of dynamics. I am sure in theory to many of you this is impossible. But impossible is nothing, when  it comes to audio. :)

I know Rudi reported that battery may affect the audio quality. The point is audio may follow a theory but not the audio quality.

And another audiophile is born........

haha, No I don't think I am and will be. But I enjoy the fun from modding/diying/tweaking and most importantly listening to TONS of music accessible at my fingertips. I do appreciate quality audio, especially when music doesn't sound that good. :)

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #14,665 of 37,653

Were those Pioneers the inspiration for the FAD Pandora's exterior design???

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #14,670 of 37,653

I very nearly had a pair of these cans last year but lost the bid.
They're getting extremely rare especially in good condition.
I'll find a pair one day ( One hopes!!! lol )

Lovely rig!!!

Thank you Paul Graham, I really enjoy this headphone. and I hope you can get one as well. Need big power to drive them though. ak240 headphone out not sufficient enough to drive them by itself the sound start to break at high volume (65 or more). with glove a1, it really make the sl-40 sing without breaking even at almost maximum volume on the glove.. ak240 sound more intimate though imo.

Were those Pioneers the inspiration for the FAD Pandora's exterior design???

Yes they look about the same. pioneer sl-40 is an open headphone though. it also has hd25 split up headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back