Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Sep 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #13,697 of 37,644
iPod Touch G1
Teac HA-50p
V-Moda V80
FAW Digital LOD

In the background - 

RockBox'd iPod 5.5g
Graham Slee Voyager
Silver Leopard LOD

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #13,698 of 37,644
My ie8's never sounded so good!!

RB'd iPod 5.5g
iBasso Pelican PB2
Sennheiser ie8
Mundorf Gold LOD
Balanced Viper

iPod Classic 7G
Teac HA-50p
Sennheiser Amperior
FAW Digital LOD
Balanced White Widow
Single Ended Adaptor ( Also White Widow )

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #13,701 of 37,644
Paul, you're largely an iPod guy right?

I just pulled the trigger on a classic and plan on feeding it into an iBasso D Zero. Curious to know if you have any suggestions for another amp/DAC for use with the iPod.

Between Apple and Sony I don't have much else lol! :wink:

I take it you know the iBasso DAC section won't work with the iPod classic?

I have only two DAC's that will handshake and thats the Cyperlabs Algorythm Solo and the Teac HA-50p.
The Teac is a fantastic all-in-one solution and I'm really enjoying it right now.

In single ended mode I would say the amp section is definitely up to par with the iBasso Pelican PB2 and Graham Slee Voyager.
As for the DAC's the Solo has the edge, But then it is in a totally different price bracket.

It all depends on budget, How you'll be using it and what things you're after. i.e., Do you want a stack or do you want something more portable?

Hope Ive helped a bit? :)

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #13,702 of 37,644
Nice setup! How is the amp?

Yeh the amp is amazing considering its only $140, i've not heard anything else that sounds as good for that price. It has a lot more juice than the dx50's amp and takes the sound quality and soundstage up a level. My only gripe with it is the built in battery doesnt last that long, i'd guess it would be around 3-4 hours.

I also carry this RA1 CMoy amp as a backup, its not as powerful nor does it sound as good as the 3 channel CMoy but it has two built in batteries and last for hours and hours.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #13,703 of 37,644
Yeh the amp is amazing considering its only $140, i've not heard anything else that sounds as good for that price. It has a lot more juice than the dx50's amp and takes the sound quality and soundstage up a level. My only gripe with it is the built in battery doesnt last that long, i'd guess it would be around 3-4 hours.

I also carry this RA1 CMoy amp as a backup, its not as powerful nor does it sound as good as the 3 channel CMoy but it has two built in batteries and last for hours and hours.

3~4 hours only?! At least they sounds great. You can try the Cayin C5 for the same price.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #13,704 of 37,644
My mid nite time set up :

Source : Ipod classic 7 G 160 GB and IPhone 4 s
Dac/Amp : Theorem copper as DAC
Amp : Duet Copper
Iems : Fit Ear MH 335 DW SR prototype
Cable : Moon Audio lod to mini USB
IC is Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Sound Quality :
one of my best set up in term Sound Quakity.it is high end sound quality .the plus point no HISS .SQ more clean and more detail .wider soundstage.better separation and black background.so kind of SQ can make very sweet and intimate midrange.so kind of SQ can bring me falling in asleep

IMO

@rudi0504 what are you using for a component wrap?  I thought RudiWrap was shelving liner (mostly rubber)?  These almost look like "shoe socks".  Just curious...

EDIT: fixed typos.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #13,705 of 37,644

2TB of mobile wireless FLAC and DSD, courtesy of RAVPower file hub, Samsung 2TB 2.5" drive, USB Audioplayer Pro, Samsung s3 (cyanogenmod) and iFi iDSD nano.  Great on the go solution for travel.  Tried it with my DX100 and although it worked, I was not able to utilise the ESS DAC, i,e, it wouldn't talk to the Ibasso player...shame. Worked ok with Neutron.  

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #13,706 of 37,644
Between Apple and Sony I don't have much else lol! :wink:

I take it you know the iBasso DAC section won't work with the iPod classic?

I have only two DAC's that will handshake and thats the Cyperlabs Algorythm Solo and the Teac HA-50p.
The Teac is a fantastic all-in-one solution and I'm really enjoying it right now.

In single ended mode I would say the amp section is definitely up to par with the iBasso Pelican PB2 and Graham Slee Voyager.
As for the DAC's the Solo has the edge, But then it is in a totally different price bracket.

It all depends on budget, How you'll be using it and what things you're after. i.e., Do you want a stack or do you want something more portable?

Hope Ive helped a bit? :)

Actually no, I did not know that. I guess I better get used to the idea of loosening the strings on the ol coin purse. I definitely do not want a hulking triple stack, but toting around the iPod with an amp/DAC that comes in under $300 would be great.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #13,707 of 37,644
Actually no, I did not know that. I guess I better get used to the idea of loosening the strings on the ogling purse. I definitely do not want a hulking triple stack, but toting around the iPod with an amp/DAC that comes in under $300 would be great.

You did GET the "welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet" bit back when you first joined didn't you? :)

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #13,708 of 37,644

2TB of mobile wireless FLAC and DSD, courtesy of RAVPower file hub, Samsung 2TB 2.5" drive, USB Audioplayer Pro, Samsung s3 (cyanogenmod) and iFi iDSD nano.  Great on the go solution for travel.  Tried it with my DX100 and although it worked, I was not able to utilise the ESS DAC, i,e, it wouldn't talk to the Ibasso player...shame. Worked ok with Neutron.  

Excellent solution!

Can UAPP stream files straight from the Rav?

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #13,710 of 37,644
Actually no, I did not know that. I guess I better get used to the idea of loosening the strings on the ogling purse. I definitely do not want a hulking triple stack, but toting around the iPod with an amp/DAC that comes in under $300 would be great.

Its a pain in the arse eh?
I found out something similar when I went out and bought the iPod 5.5g to go with the SOLO only to discover the older iPods won't handshake with any of the DAC's!
Sods law!! lol...

Anyway, Under $300 is going to make things interesting for sure. You could look at the prices on the Teac HA-50p, Or its Onkyo twin.
Im unsure on the Sony price tags currently but the PH-A1 may be worth a look :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back